VOGONS

First post, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got an S3 Trio64+ with 2Mb VRAM on my 486DX4-100, and I'm trying to get the game "Michael Jordan in Flight" work at SVGA resolution.
The game has a config tool with a limited number of display cards to choose from. Most of them use the same driver (a Tseng compatible driver), but none of them is working with my card, except the basic VGA "no driver" option. Here's the list from the VIDEO.TXT file:

Boca Super X SVGAX1  1 Meg|ts1meg.drv
Boca Super X SVGAX1 512K|ts512k.drv
Cardinal VGA 700 1 Meg|ts1meg.drv
Cardinal VGA 700 512K|ts512k.drv
Diamond SpeedStar 1 Meg|ts1meg.drv
Diamond SpeedStar 512K|ts512k.drv
Diamond SpeedStar 24X|wdi1meg.drv
Genoa 7900 VGA 1 Meg|ts1meg.drv
Genoa 7900 VGA 512K|ts512k.drv
Orchid Pro Design II 1 Meg|ts1meg.drv
Orchid Pro Design II 512K|ts512k.drv
STB PowerGraph VGA 1 Meg|stb1meg.drv
STB PowerGraph VGA 512K|stb512k.drv
Toshiba T4400C|wd512K.drv
Video 7 VRAMII Ergo 1 Meg|v71meg.drv
Video 7 VRAMII Ergo 512K|v7512k.drv

Searching around I found 2 threads here in the forums that mention univbe 5.3, and supposedly a SVGA patch.
I tried using univbe, but as far as I can tell, it did nothing to this game. Maybe I'm not using it right?
And as for the SVGA patch, I was not able to find it.

Any help would be appreciated 😀

BTW, on DOSBox 7.4, when using "machine=svga_et4000" I'm able to run at SVGA when choosing one of the cards that uses the Tseng drivers.

Reply 1 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

S3 Trio64v+'s way, WAY after the pre-VESA-standard proprietary driver wild west of early SVGA support. None of those listed drivers will do you any good here and neither will UniVBE/SDD/S3VBE.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You will want to ask old hardware related questions in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 8, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

486 isn't modern enough? 😀
Will do. thanks.
(May want to add the "modern systems" to this forum's description. I really wasn't sure what is the difference between this and "Software" forum.

Reply 4 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All of the old hardware stuff belongs in Marvin. Keep in mind the history of these forums, even the name Very Old Games On New Systems. This particular subforum was originally for running DOS games with the NTVDM of Win2k-WinXP. Forums for the retro gear stuff was mainly an afterthought added by the original owner of VOGONS to keep the retro hardware posts out of this forum.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 8, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Doh.. Of course.
Even though it says so clearly (well.. clearly-ish) above the forum logo, I never got it. And I wondered what does retro computing has to do with Douglas Adams's planet destroying, bureaucratic, poet loving aliens 😀

Reply 7 of 8, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
canthearu wrote:

The STB PowerGraph VGA is based on the Trio64 chipset it seems.

It would be the one most likely to work.

I tried all of them... none worked.
Some fail to load at all, some display text garbage, and some display some graphic garbage.

Reply 8 of 8, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Moved / merged.

anetanel wrote:

And I wondered what does retro computing has to do with Douglas Adams's planet destroying, bureaucratic, poet loving aliens 😀

That was myyyyyyy doing back in 2002... but if not me, it would have been someone else: Just letting you know I'm here now...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto