VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WIN-Jiggi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I would like to play my oldest games on my computer, the very old dos games! Like Doom and some apogee games.

I have a Creative Auidgy 2 Platinum Sound Card with 4.1 Speaker system. So I have 2 plugs from my 4.1 speaker system that plugs into the front and rear line-outs of the sound card.

I did some research and tried a few things. I've got a dos working partition on my system with SB16 Emulation drivers for the Live! and Audigy series cards:

http://www.mameworld.net/dosmame/other.php

I downloaded the sblive.zip emulation drivers cuz I would think that the Audigy and Audigy 2 could perhaps work as the same.

I set my emulation configuration and it seems to be working properly, but I get no sound, even though the system detects the emulation! I ran the diagnostics tool and it acts like the sound should work but there is no sound coming from my speakers...

So I figured it was perhaps a speaker problem... or maybe the emulator is just not compatible with my sound card.

Just wondering if people do use emulation with 4.1 speakers using the front and rear line-outs on their soundcards? Or people have used SBLive! Emulation drivers with an Audigy 2 Card? Could anyone help me out here?

Thanks!

Jiggi

Reply 1 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an Audigy 2 too.

The extremly few DOS games that I dual-boot my machine for I play them in Windows 98 command prompt. You may want to try that. I would reboot and try it out for ya but I don't like to reboot my machine. 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 13, by WIN-Jiggi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How do you run these games in Win98? Are you also using the emulator drivers? I tried to use win98 as well but my sound was real choppy and cutting and caused my system to slow down. I haven't seen SB16 emualtion drivers for 98 though with the Audigy 2.

Reply 3 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They run in Windows 98 through the command prompt which is Windows 98's version of MS-DOS run on top of Windows 98....nothing special.

The emulation is included in the Audigy 2 drivers, IIRC. Can't really say what SB card they emulate but it's likely a SB16/Pro card or some variant thereof.

Can't really help with the audio problems since I don't know anything about your computer hardware or what games your trying to play but if the sound is "choppy" and "cutting" out and causing your system to slow down it sounds like your having some serious problems there.....

The only time I've had audio problems with Live!/Audigy cards is when using them on Via MVP3 chipsets and you usually have to use 3rd party hacks to fix the audio problems there...and they never really worked for me.

Reply 4 of 13, by WIN-Jiggi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know that with XP they also have an SB16 Emulator built in, which comes with legacy audio drivers or a codec that goes with the sound card you load on the system. But I didn't see nothing like that in Windows 98. So what do I need to reference to get to that configuration?

That's kind of going off topic though, I still need help with these emulation drivers in Dos

Reply 5 of 13, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Returning to your original question, a patch is required to make the Audigy 2 work with the emulation driver. It can be obtained via the following Sourceforge link:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mpxplay/AU … 12.ZIP?download

Just run audigy12.exe after sbinit.com is finished, and you should be fixed up.

Intel Q6600 (2.4 GHz) | 4GB RAM | GeForce 8800 GT | Windows 7 64-bit

Reply 6 of 13, by WIN-Jiggi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dr. Riptide wrote:

Returning to your original question, a patch is required to make the Audigy 2 work with the emulation driver. It can be obtained via the following Sourceforge link:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mpxplay/AU … 12.ZIP?download

Just run audigy12.exe after sbinit.com is finished, and you should be fixed up.

That is exactly what I needed! Loaded it up and it works like a charm. Now it's time to go vintage on my super duper computer! Thanks a bunch!

Reply 8 of 13, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is this? Does it do something like VDMSound? Is it useful for obtaining sound in things like the DOS version of Need For Speed 1 SE in WinXP?

What do you mean by "just run audigy12.exe after sbinit.com is finished, and you should be fixed up" - a batch file? Something else?

Cheers!

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 9 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

huh? I haven't looked at the patch but according to the post above it's just a patch for the DOS emulation drivers provided by Creative Labs for their Audigy soundcards. (The emulation is only supported in MS-DOS).

Reply 10 of 13, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since your last question is the easiest, I'll answer it first: I meant that he should an audigy12.exe line (the patch program) to his autoexec.bat file after the sbinit.com line (the driver itself).

For your first question, the driver under discussion is a program which runs only in real DOS and basically makes a newer model Creative card (like an Audigy 1 or 2) look like an older Sound Blaster 16. This is useful because most DOS games do not recognize these newer cards, but they get along great with an SB16. This is great, but the driver does not actually support the Audigy 2 by default, so a small patch must be run for that card to work.

Now, note that this entire thing is really only useful under real MS-DOS; if you are running Windows, then you should be using VDMSound, as it does do something similar (but it does it much better).

Reply 11 of 13, by WIN-Jiggi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes that is exactly what I needed it for. For real-dos mode only. Although having emulation in Windows 98 would be nice, but I haven't fully checked to see what the configuration is for the legacy codec/drivers in Windows 98, if there is one.

I know usually with Windows 98, and the older SB cards, like the Live! Series comes with emulation drivers that work in Windows. Maybe the first Audigy did too, but I can't remember.

VMDSound didn't work for me too well in XP, but trying it in 98 is worth a shot, cuz the sound emulation has a somewhat better performance than the regular dos emulation drivers does... perhaps!

Reply 12 of 13, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, VDMSound does not work in Win98; only in 2000 and XP. To be honest, I find DOSBox and/or DOS mode to be the best options for a Win98 machine; trying to get a Win98 DOS window to do anything useful is a waste of time.

Reply 13 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a beta of VDMSound for Windows 9x somewhere on this forum.

Here it is: Win9x + VDMSound **ALPHA**

Never tried it so can't say how good it is.