VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 23 of 30, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Future Shock doesn't work very well in SVGA either. I gave up on both games. Hell, I was working with them on a real Pentium system, ran thru several different vid cards, boot configs, and drivers and still couldn't get them to be stable in SVGA. They are from the worst period of Bethesda bug-ridden software.

Reply 24 of 30, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe that on my system, Skynet could not find Future Shock unless installed in the default path which was something like GAMES\SHOCK

When I had installed Future Shock in D:\SHOCK for example, it could not be found. When I installed Future Shock and Skynet as follows, there was no problem.

D:\GAMES\SHOCK
D:\GAMES\SKYNET

I am using the original CD-Roms. BTW, Getting Future Shock and Skynet to work in 640x480 was unstable in DOS, but inexplicably runs well in Windows98se. I've played through both games completely, and with the exception on one area (getting out of the truck that enters the first compound in Skynet) there were no bugs that I can recall.

Cheers!

Reply 25 of 30, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crash. wrote:
I believe that on my system, Skynet could not find Future Shock unless installed in the default path which was something like GA […]
Show full quote

I believe that on my system, Skynet could not find Future Shock unless installed in the default path which was something like GAMES\SHOCK

When I had installed Future Shock in D:\SHOCK for example, it could not be found. When I installed Future Shock and Skynet as follows, there was no problem.

D:\GAMES\SHOCK
D:\GAMES\SKYNET

I am using the original CD-Roms. BTW, Getting Future Shock and Skynet to work in 640x480 was unstable in DOS, but inexplicably runs well in Windows98se. I've played through both games completely, and with the exception on one area (getting out of the truck that enters the first compound in Skynet) there were no bugs that I can recall.

Cheers!

Yeah I remember playing one of the games in windows 98se, and it ran perfectly, as you said. Maybe I should make a dual boot in the future with windows 98se (DK version) on another harddrive, since it would rock all the way.

Reply 26 of 30, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey that's right. I tried that too and it worked more stably in 9x. It was slower though, I remember that too. Maybe Win9x blocks some hardware features that the game uses in DOS that both slows the game down and makes it more stable at the same time? heh

Reply 27 of 30, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you can patch SkyNET and Future Shock, just search with google for SKYNET11.ZIP and SHOCK130.ZIP.

Unfortunately this topic is the first result.

I did find them though.

Version 1.30 patch for Future Shock.
http://files.filefront.com/tfs+130zip/;905209;/fileinfo.html

Version 1.01 patch for Skynet.
http://files.filefront.com/sky101zip/;904682;/fileinfo.html

Pentium fix for Rampage, while I'm at it.
http://files.filefront.com/tr+pentzip/;905416;/fileinfo.html

Reply 29 of 30, by Sheriff Hobbes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Future Shock doesn't work very well in SVGA either. I gave up on both games.

Correct. Both games crash in SVGA mode. You can run it for about 2 minutes max. I tried the CVS build with the svga drivers - didn't help.
VGA mode runs fine.

Marriage is a three ring circus:
-engagement ring
-wedding ring
-suffering

H. L. Mencken