VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WIN-Jiggi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, not all of them but several of them do.

Alien Trilogy runs way too fast. Not just in game play but idle times in the menu screen as well. The game seems to run at double the normal speed.

This also happens in the dos version of Quake, and Nerves Of Steel.

Here are my dos box specs:

AOpen AX-34U Intel Socket 370 Motherboard VIA Apollo Pro 133T chipset
Intel Celeron 1.0Ghz w/ 224MB SDRAM PC100 (Generic)
Asus V6800 GeForce2 32MB DDR
Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold
Westren Digital WD200 20GB 7200 Hard Drive

I have thought about using a slower processor, less ram, and lower rpm hard drive, but I thought maybe this could be a quick fix through some manual configuration perhaps?

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 6, by bugs_bugger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For older games you can try DosBox. You have to adjust cycles manually for best gameplay if your game has problems with speed. Quake will not run with more than 0.5 fps in DosBos so do not even think about it with a 1GHz Celeron. (I do not know if there is a 3dfx version of Quake, but if there is one you might have success with a Version of DosBox with 3dfx support. Perhaps.) There are also slowdown utilities for Dos on Windows, but they never worked for me, so i would not recommend them.

Reply 2 of 6, by WIN-Jiggi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's funny because all classic doom engine based games, Duke3d engine based games, and for the most part almost all of my dos games work just fine, it's just these few games that tend to hyperspeed the game.

I don't want to use DosBox, I'm trying to run a real dos box without using emulators.

Reply 3 of 6, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There was a utility I used to use on dos to slow down my computer for old apps.
It was called moslo. No idea where to find it now. Probably could try google.

The version I had you would run it with a percentage for how much you
wanted to slow down the computer. When you were done, you would type 'exit' and the computer was back to normal. A very simple and easy way to slow the computer.

Don't know how well it would work on more modern computers. (The computer I had at the time was a P166)

Reply 4 of 6, by bugs_bugger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You mean this moslo? I did not work well for me but you can give it a chance.

Attachments

• Filename
    moslo.com.zip
    File size
    1.17 KiB
    Downloads
    406 downloads
    File comment
    Slowdown utility, I had to zip it because of uploading rules.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 6, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It looks like a different version of moslo than mine. (I'd put mine up but I think it may be a bit corrupted)

There are some slowdown utilities here
http://www.geocities.com/kulhain/

Personally I think you'd be best off using dosbox. Much simpler and more adjustable.