VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

damn, I grabbed in nice cosmetical condition ULTIMA UNDERWORLD I from eBay, but unfortunatelly ALL 4 disks had read errors... bad luck! 😢
it was the hit squad re-release...

Reply 1 of 16, by Nagra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, these things happen.
I had the same bad luck with the original version of Ultima Underworld 2 on 3,5 inch Disk.
Fortunately I got the CD version of UU 1 + 2 as well 😊

And my original Wing Commander 2 reports an error during installation too. One disk seems to be damaged.

I have decided not to go for floppy disk versions any more.

Reply 2 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah, cd's are way safer, but floppy games... they rule!!! 😊
I made images of all my floppy games, only uw1 was damaged...
I wonder if there is a place to download some disk images....

Reply 4 of 16, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not quite sure if this is good enough for you, but there is a site with links to the demo version of Ulitma Underworld 1.
http://uwadv.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=download
Better than nothing...

(I remember playing this game from a CD released with an anniversary issue of Computer Gaming World with a bunch of other older games, Issue 200 I believe. If you have a friend who happens to have some of those old demo CDs and hopefully this specific one, you could always borrow it to play)

Reply 6 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

tried spinrite, but no luck.
in my experience, when a floppy is bad it is dead. I use HD-Copy 2.0a to make images and read/write. if sequential reading re-tries do not recover the data, there is no way to fix it... u can analyze all u want, the surface of the disk is dead... remember it is a floppy that costs cents, not a hard-drive that has more probability to fix because of it's higher surface quality...

Reply 7 of 16, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, that's right.

I wasn't sure you tried it.

When I encounter a disk with an error and it is recoverable I backup and throw away the floppy anyway. It is always just the beginning of more errors.

Reply 8 of 16, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, sometimes you just need everything on the original disk. I had good luck with 3.5" old disks, that's 5.25" that were giving me problems. There are a few tricks that you should try before giving up.
- Use cleaning disk on your drive. Clean it a few times in a row, never hurts.
- "Massage" the floppy (just the casing, not the disk itself!) with your fingertips -- sometimes old floppies get stuck.
- Try different drive, preferrably, completely different model/manufacturer.
- Find some software that tries to read multiple times (or just hit retry all the time) and remove and re-insert floppy while it tries to read bad sector. Do it a few times -- I had quite a few cases when this trick allowed me to get data from seemingly hopeless location.
- Wash the disk -- disassemble the casing (yes, it's somewhat destructive operation) and carefully wash the disk itself with lukewarm water and a little soap. Reassemble the casing (use tape if needed but not glue) and try reading it. This is definitely not a recommended method in your case, the condition of the game will not be cosmetically good after it.
If all of those have failed the disk is definitely dead. In some cases you can restore disk image by replacing bad sector data with bits from some other copies -- hex editing skills are required. This is particularly possible if the disk in question contains a relatively common game.
I did not mention that some bad sectors on floppies may be related to copy protection. Somehow I never encountered copy protected 3.5" on PC although they were very common on other platforms. 5.25" is another story, about 30% of them have some copy protection.

Reply 9 of 16, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have had good luck in recovering some unreadable floppies with VGACOPY 6.2x > retries = 99

Attachments

• Filename
    VGACOPY.ZIP
    File size
    55.87 KiB
    Downloads
    237 downloads
    File comment
    VGACOPY
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 11 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hm, this vgacopy looks nice, but I think HD-Copy offers more options... here, try it, runs OK on every pc, on every OS...

Attachments

• Filename
    HD-copy v2.0a.rar
    File size
    46.32 KiB
    Downloads
    218 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 16, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

uh thanks for the tools, i have many good old games on floppy disks with read errors. in the past i used PC-TOOLS to repair the disks, but the file data was mostly lost. i hope this works better...

Reply 14 of 16, by Nagra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks,

time to bring some new life into this thread here:

Since yesterday I got my 3,5" version of Wing Commander II running again, after all these years.

Here is how I did it:
The installer claimed, that disk 5 is bad or damaged. None of the tools mentioned here worked in my case. And Win98 even suggested to format the unreadable disk in drive a: (!!!!)

Fortunately, I got a mac too. I connected a usb-floppydiskdrive to it, inserted the "bad" disk and - voila: All files were readable on the mac! I copied them onto the macs HDD and from there back onto a new 3,5" disk. Twenty minutes later I sat back and enjoyed the opener of WCII.
Life can be so wonderful!

One note for others:
During copying the files back from the mac onto a 3,5" disk, I was told that there wasnt enough space on it. Took some time for me to figure out, that the MAC OS was written two or three invisible files onto that disk as well!
Um, so I splitted the files onto two diks, transported them to the PC in a new folder. There I deleted the now visible mac-files and after that procedure I was able to copy ALL the files onto ONE single 3.5" disk.

nagra