VOGONS

Common searches

HELP: Sound Blaster 16 PCI not working :(

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by dhruba.bandopadhyay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just bought a Sound Blaster 16 PCI off eBay. I used Windows 98SE and boot into native DOS mode.

When I try to run Creative SB16 drivers, it keeps on saying that it's detected am in Windows 95 mode.

How???

Anyway, I manage to get "already-installed" drivers from:

http://easymamecab.mameworld.net/html/snddosdr.htm

I run the C:\dosdrv\sbcfg.exe and it displays my settings 220, IRQ5, DMA1, DMA7 (16bit).

When I set up Duke Nukem 3D with these settings, it fails for digital sound, but I got music working. It says DMA conflicts.

Anyway got any ideas why I can't get sound working?

Reply 1 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SoundBlaster 16 *PCI* ... just a marketing trick.
the fact is, that it has almost nothing to do with the old SB16 ISA model.
it is a PCI card and being a new card, it has many probs with old games that probe the ISA bus...
those "16 PCI" cards where made by Ensoniq , and had some special -emulation- driver that emulated an ISA sb16 under DOS.
creative bought ensoniq and named the cards SB16 PCI, and just used the emulator driver.
thing is, that this card works great under windows, but under DOS, many problems arise...
u better get an ISA card for old dos games..

Reply 4 of 12, by dhruba.bandopadhyay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, did both of these.

The SET BLASTER also has 2 extra parameters.

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6

I got drivers from:

http://easymamecab.mameworld.net/html/snddosdr.htm

EAPCI.zip didn't work, even though I got the Ensoniq SB16PCI (I think). But SBPCI.zip one loads.

Yep, I disabled the internal sound card too.

PS: What does the T parameter mean? You specified T7. SBPCI.zip file specifies T6. EAPCI.zip file specifies SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T2.

Reply 5 of 12, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What does the T parameter mean?

Didn't you seen something familiar? 😉

settings 220, IRQ5, DMA1, DMA7 (16bit).

There is DMA - it's 1. And there is high DMA - it's 7 and it's referred as T.
Stop! But I see H, and _it's_ must be High DMA! %)
But my setting programs never set this H parameter, and set 16bit DMA as T. %) So I don't know. 🙁

Nevermind. Try to fiddle with IRQ and DMA then from BIOS? (Or there is the another way to change DMA?)

Reply 7 of 12, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So it's coincidence. I have high DMA 6 and setup sets T6, but never H6. %) So I was mistaken. Thank you. 😀

Hmm, but what with SB16?..

And, close to me, what with my SB128? It won't work with that drivers - now. On nForce2 motherboard (I cannot remember what it says, but setup says, it's ok, but not resident driver). But earlier the same set of drivers work just fine, so I think, there is something with motherboard... Maybe it's the same problem?
I personally now use Win98 - it's sufficient for all "modern" games, as DN3D (win driver works fine, as before) - and with Dosbox for older. 😀

Reply 8 of 12, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

According to the sb detect above:

I run the C:\dosdrv\sbcfg.exe and it displays my settings 220, IRQ5, DMA1, DMA7 (16bit).

the blaster environment variable should be set to
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H7 P330 T6
(note the H7 instead of the H5 as previously set).

Also you might want to try A220 I5 D1 T1 (or T2/T3/T4/T5).
In duke3d, try sb16 with 220/5/1/5 and sb with 220/5/1.

Reply 9 of 12, by Smiling Spectre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And going to my problem (I tested yesterday) - my SB128 on the nForce2 motherboard (any, I think, at least I tested three different) initialize successfully - but not works. After run test (sbtest.exe from drivers set) I receive "Failed. Can not reset SB16". What is this and what it can mean? BTW, under Win98 the same test complete successfully (and yes, sound in DOS games works as expected).

Reply 10 of 12, by Eck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It works within Windows either because you've got the WDM driver installed, as this uses 220-5-1 emulating an SBPro as part of the WDM specification, or you've got the VXD drivers installed, as this uses the settings in the soundcard's tab in Windows Device Manager under Dosbox settings and emulates an SB16 using 220-7-1-5-330-T6. This is, by the way, much better than the WDM driver for dos within Windows as far as compatiblity with games, FM emulation if the game doesn't have MPU-401, sound quality, etc. I don't use it these days as WDM drivers are much better for all Windows audio.

The reason it probably doesn't work in MS-DOS Mode is that your motherboard doesn't support non-maskable interrupts. All the Ensoniq PCI, SB 16 PCI, SB 64 PCI, SB 128 PCI, SBLive, Audigy 1 and 2 cards need this support from the motherboard. Most newer motherboards do not support this.

Surprise! My Epox EP-8KRAIPRO does. I was shocked when my Audigy 2 ZS, using the MAME SBLive Dos drivers and the Audigy12.EXE program passed that SBEGO test and also worked with all the games that I used to get working with my SBLive on my older motherboards.

I had a problem getting 98SE working so now it's just XP and Vista with VMWare for 98, but I'm about to attempt a real 98 install again. Now that I know I can use real dos with this board I can''t resist trying. If 98 zonks out with the stupid IOS error at startup again (Real Mode Memory Allocation Failed) I may just keep a small MS-DOS 6.22 partition just to use the real dos mode for the Audigy 2 ZS. Gosh, it sounds much better than my old SBLive's did!

By the way, Dosbox is awesome but my games that do work with the Live Dos drivers just seem to synch better in real dos than in the Dosbox program. Meaning, mouse dependant stuff, better sounding, audio/video synch, etc.

Reply 11 of 12, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2308700/Ace … ?page=14#manual
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/acer-v70la
Seems that my board can NMI but I can't get the SBPCI cards to work. no chance. tried everything. I am frustrated 🙁

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 12 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please create your own thread instead posting to a !sixteen! years old thread

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper