VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by hajime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I was wondering if some version of DOS could use the capacity of modern graphic cards (like ATI) 100% if a game designed for DOS needed it.

A lil' feedback please! 😀

Reply 3 of 17, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

This is rather confusing question in itself. The answer is no. Anyway state what you precisely mean...
If it is a version of FreeDOS with included Glide wrapper then nothing like that exists (at least I do not know about a DOS based Glide wrapper - all need Windows).

Mirek

Reply 4 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

no old dos game is designed for new hardware... no new software can force old dos games to use new hardware...

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 5 of 17, by hajime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh...So if I were an expert programmer (which as you see I am not), would it be possible to improve DOS by adding that Glide Wrapper...and anything else? (I mean, similar drivers to Direct X, etc...)
Or is it also possible (in theory) to make JUST ONE certain game I design to work with my PC, which has an ATI card?
I don't mean whether something like this exists, but if it'd be possible to create it.

By the way, do ATI cards work with Linux?

Thanks mates.

Reply 6 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you might want to read into some stuff about glide first.

In theory you could make one game that makes maximum use of your ati card.
Provided you get all the technical specs of your card (which is unlikely)

Ati cards work in linux. Please search before asking trivial things like that(tyhat linux question). We aren't google.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 17, by hajime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, OK. I am sorry. It won't happen anymore.
However I did it cuz I get sometimes confused by what I read so I preferred a more "personal" answer.

Thanks to all, by the way.

Reply 8 of 17, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably, if you mean DOSBOX, modern graphic card can really help in regards to image scaling and such.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 17, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Qbix: what about being more polite when it comes to hajime, since he is only asking a normal simple question. And well we all need to start some where about our knowledge. hajime: I am on your side, by the way. So don´t worry.

Reply 10 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And well we all need to start some where about our knowledge.

Wolverine, this isn't really a "start some where" site. We focus more on fixing DosBox problems and helping people help themselves to get their games working. Not to explain the basics of PC's/OS's. This site cannot be all things to all people. If it was then DosBox wouldn't be as good as it is.

The thread topic is actually pretty lame. There's nothing holding DOS back from doing things that the latest operating systems can do. Only time/money/documentation/programming software/interest. It's not an OS/Hardware limitation.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 17, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

And well we all need to start some where about our knowledge.

Wolverine, this isn't really a "start some where" site. We focus more on fixing DosBox problems and helping people help themselves to get their games working. Not to explain the basics of PC's/OS's. This site cannot be all things to all people. If it was then DosBox wouldn't be as good as it is.

The thread topic is actually pretty lame. There's nothing holding DOS back from doing things that the latest operating systems can do. Only time/money/documentation/programming software/interest. It's not an OS/Hardware limitation.

Of course you are right, but there are more polite ways to give out the comments, than give a person in some ways a cold icy shoulder. Just because he is perhaps asking a question that is more easy. If you are putting the search words in google.

There are numerous ways around a problem, instead of giving a person a textbook kick in the groin area, just because he is asking a textbook google question , that he can easily get answered by a few searchwords on google. That is what I am pointing out, and not being a pain in the backside of a person.

That is my point of view on the matter right now anyway.

Reply 13 of 17, by hajime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, thanks Wolverine. You are a very nice dude.
Yeah, you are right, it is not something bad to ask newbie questions, cuz this might help other newbies who read the thread.

But it's OK for me. I think QBix is also right.
I don't want you guys to think I was offended or something.
Everything is OK, man.
But I thank you a lot, Wolverine. 😉

Reply 14 of 17, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hajime wrote:

Hi, I was wondering if some version of DOS could use the capacity of modern graphic cards (like ATI) 100% if a game designed for DOS needed it.

Frankly, I'm not sure what hajime actually means, because if he's talking about 3D acceleration, the answer is quite obvious: the only DOS games ever designed for 3D acceleration is those games supporting 3dfx (like Tomb Raider, EF2000 V2.0 / EF2000 TACTCOM, Carmageddon, and Archimedean Dynasty).

But... hold on; if what he means is actually "are modern graphic card beneficial for DOS games", then here's the answer (but anyone please correct me if I'm wrong in certain parts):

Many DOS games, especially the ones using SVGA graphics, rely much on VESA BIOS Extension (VBE) instead of 3D acceleration. Examples are the first System Shock, Privateer 2: The Darkening, Jane's Advanced Tactical Fighters, and Dawn Patrol.

To make such games run fast, you need a video card with good VESA support, and a fast processor of course. Such video cards are usually called "2D video cards".

The bad news is that I'm not sure whether modern video card (like GeForce 7900 GT) has a good VESA support (or a VESA support at all, for that matter). The fastest video card for DOS games is those based on Tseng Labs ET-6000 graphic processor, which is about ten years ago, so good luck finding them on ebay. 😉

The good news is that such games are more processor-dependent than video card -dependent. You can use a lightning fast 2D video card like STB Lightspeed 128 or Matrox Mystique, yet you still get pathetically low frame rate when playing Novalogic's Comanche 3, because you're using Pentium 100.

On the other hand, you can play DOS games with a pathetically slow 2D video card like ATI Mach 32, but get excellent frame rate because you're using Pentium III processor.

Back to your question, as far as modern video cards go, first you should check whether they're compatible with DOS SVGA mode; in other words, you should check whether the video card supports VBE 3.0 or VBE 2.0. If it does not, then forget running SVGA DOS games with the video card.

Voodoo5 5500 is an example of a "modern" video card that support VBE 3.0, but again, I'm not sure about GeForce 8800 or Radeon X1950XT.

So, um, does it answer your question?

Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2006-12-19, 17:05. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 15 of 17, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

GeForce 6200 has VESA 3.0 bios but most of nVidia's bios are larger than usual. Many graphic cards have 32kB bios but nVidia's take up to 60kB, for dos, it means less UMB (memory where you can load drivers and tsr). Modern bios are also more buggy

I had a Elsa Gladiac MX (GeForce2MX) which have 32kB bios and a TNT2 with 60kB. BIOS size and quality depend of the builder of your card.

Type win to loose the power of your computer !

Reply 16 of 17, by hajime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Frankly, I'm not sure what hajime actually means, because if he's talking about 3D acceleration, the answer is quite obvious: th […]
Show full quote
hajime wrote:

Frankly, I'm not sure what hajime actually means, because if he's talking about 3D acceleration, the answer is quite obvious: the only DOS games ever designed for 3D acceleration is those games supporting 3dfx (like Tomb Raider, EF2000 V2.0 / EF2000 TACTCOM, Carmageddon, and Archimedean Dynasty).

But... hold on; if what he means is actually "are modern graphic card beneficial for DOS games", then here's the answer (but anyone please correct me if I'm wrong in certain parts):

Many DOS games, especially the ones using SVGA graphics, rely much on VESA BIOS Extension (VBE) instead of 3D acceleration. Examples are the first System Shock, Privateer 2: The Darkening, Jane's Advanced Tactical Fighters, and Dawn Patrol.

To make such games run fast, you need a video card with good VESA support, and a fast processor of course. Such video cards are usually called "2D video cards".

The bad news is that I'm not sure whether modern video card (like GeForce 7900 GT) has a good VESA support (or a VESA support at all, for that matter). The fastest video card for DOS games is those based on Tseng Labs ET-6000 graphic processor, which is about ten years ago, so good luck finding them on ebay. 😉

The good news is that such games are more processor-dependent than video card -dependent. You can use a lightning fast 2D video card like STB Lightspeed 128 or Matrox Mystique, yet you still get pathetically low frame rate when playing Novalogic's Comanche 3, because you're using Pentium 100.

On the other hand, you can play DOS games with a pathetically slow 2D video card like ATI Mach 32, but get excellent frame rate because you're using Pentium III processor.

Back to your question, as far as modern video cards go, first you should check whether they're compatible with DOS SVGA mode; in other words, you should check whether the video card supports VBE 3.0 or VBE 2.0. If it does not, then forget running SVGA DOS games with the video card.

Voodoo5 5500 is an example of a "modern" video card that support VBE 3.0, but again, I'm not sure about GeForce 8800 or Radeon X1950XT.

You answered my question VERY WELL.
Thanks, it is a very clear explanation.

Reply 17 of 17, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hajime wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

<snip snip major snip>

You answered my question VERY WELL.
Thanks, it is a very clear explanation.

Glad to help. 😀 Now I hope this thread could be useful for anyone who's planning to boot in DOS and looking for a video card suitable (read: old enough) for the purpose. StickByDOS has also posted a very useful information:

GeForce 6200 has VESA 3.0 bios but most of nVidia's bios are larger than usual....

Speaking of VESA makes me thinking: IIRC a Voodoo5 5500 also support VBE 3.0 instead of 2.0. Is VBE 3.0 backward compatible with VBE 2.0?