VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 25, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hum, somewhere in here is the permanent solution to the magenta problem:
http://groups.google.com/groups?scoring=d&q=% … 9+OR+magenta%29

Good thing, I think you said it is intermittent for you?

Also, since we want to get this sussed, and you are willing to help:
Tweak your config.sys/autoexec.bat to get more memory, see if adding any of the other Voodoo2 environment settings helps with the magenta, improves speed/rendering, etc.

Reply 22 of 25, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Craig, wasn't Whiplash/Fatal Racing a DOS game? So shouldn't you try in TRUE DOS first? Anyhow, ditch WinMe as FAST as you can. Win98SE is much better if you must use a Win9x-based OS.

It was a DOS game, but that shouldn't make any odds, as I've totally unlocked DOS for WinME.
And every other DOS Glide game works a treat, some with the Voodoo2.

I'm not ditching WinME, not by any means.
I build PC systems for a living, and have spent about 6 solid months on WinME. Working with a few people on the web, and a few friends near me. And together we have made possibly THE most stable WinME ever !!
I kid you not, it walks rings around Win98. And anyone will tell you that WinME DID have a few features that put it above Win98.

Once you've installed WinME without ACPI (setup /p i), removed system restore, PC health, Win management, Unlocked DOS, changed many system.ini mem settings like ..

PageBuffers=32
MinPagingFileSize=524288
MaxPagingFileSize=524288
ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1
MinSPs=4
DMABufferSize=64
32BitDiskAccess=ON
PerVMFiles=170
MinTimeSlice=40
LocalLoadHigh=1

Tons of stuff. It took 6 months (jobs + family + commitments getting in the way) in total using Norton Ghost as a backup and restore tool.

It's not 100%, and still can be brought down by a rogue program, especially ones that overlap memory address spaces without asking. It doesn't like NForce2 motherboards, due to the fact that NVidia haven't bothered to write IDE drivers. But that affects Win9x in total.

Back to topic, and still no joy.
Anyone care to post up a complete batch file they are using, exactly as you are using. And also the EXACT drivers you have installed with your V2.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 23 of 25, by 3803

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

btw Fatal racing doesn't work in windows, you need to start it in pure dos...

This is the batchfile I'm using, I'll try adding some more variables in pure dos...I removed the last two lines as well since they are not required...
The magenta problem doesn't seem to occur anymore and running descent2 is NOT needed

SET FX_GLIDE_SWAPINTERVAL=1
SET SST_GRXCLK=90
SET SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4
SET SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6
SET SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6
SET SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1
pause
fatfx

Hope this works
btw, actually I've set SST_GRXCLK to 102;)

Last edited by 3803 on 2003-05-25, 10:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24 of 25, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

Schadenfreude, that link is bad.

No, is vBulletin's fault.

Should be groups.google.com/groups?scoring=d&q=%28Voodoo2+OR+%22Voodoo+2%22%29+%28%28pink+Glide%29+OR+magenta%29
(which it still is if I edit the post)

But vBulletin messes it all up. Another link parsing error.

It parses it as:
groups.google.com/groups?scoring=d& q=%28Voodoo2+OR+%22Voodoo+2%22%29+%28%28pink+Glide<br />%29+OR+magenta%29

It inserts a whitespace between scoring=d& and q=...
And it INSERTED A <BR /> TAG! BAD! BAD VBULLETIN!

ON THE OTHER HAND:
there's a weird Boolean parsing thingy that Google is doing too, I expect more results than this. Will have to ask a friend about it.

But Google is not messing the URL! Is Vbulletins fault!

off-topic, anyhow.

[EDIT] IT MESSED the TEXT STRING too!!!
there should not be a space between scoring=d& and q=...! and no line break (which messes the URL!)

Lemme try this

[url]http://groups.google.com/groups?scoring=d&q=%28Voodoo2+OR+%22Voodoo+2%22%29+%28%28pink+Glide%29+OR+magenta%29[/URL]

If that space wasn't there, it would work. Why is that whitespace there?

But I shouldn't have to do this... CODE tags get rid of the linebreak problem - but I don't want to have to use this...

still OT...

Last edited by Schadenfreude on 2003-05-25, 16:28. Edited 1 time in total.