Common searches

DOS CD Drivers

Topic actions

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello this is my first post here and I was wondering if you could help me.As an abandonware fan I tried to setup a Virtual PC using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007.I also have another PC for that reason but since it takes too much space,I thought it was a good idea to try the Virtual PC.So I installed Win98 with sound blaster 16 and a Trio64V for graphics card.And now here is the problem.In Win98 DOS Mode,I installed the sb16 drivers but I don't remember how to install the cd drivers.I assume I have to edit the config.sys and autoexec.bat files.I need your help!

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 22, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

elaborate on this win98 DOS mode... how did you get to there? are you running DOS inside win98? or are you pushing F8 during bootup to reach native DOS?

if its during win98 then i doubt you need any.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 3 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First, you need to have CD ROM driver for DOS, which could be hardware-dependent (although I think Oak CD ROM driver will work for every CD drives --it is pretty much universal). You can download an oak CD driver on this page, then you should put it in your CONFIG.SYS like this:

[config.sys]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
LASTDRIVE=F

And then you need MSCDEX.EXE, which should be put in AUTOEXEC.BAT like this:

[autoexec.bat]

LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /l:D

EDIT: here's the link to download Oak CD ROM driver.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 5 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Hmmm thanks I will try it.

Edit...

It's not working.

Have you copy them to your hard drive, and edited your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT accordingly?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 7 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Of course!I put them on C:\DOS

Wait, wait. Both CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT should be put on C:\ instead of C:\DOS.

Reply 8 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually, there are a couple of alternatives to the Oak Technologies driver that take up less RAM.
http://www.mdgx.com/newtip1.htm#CDROM4

Some of them can be used with DRVLOAD or CTLOAD (or a similar utility) that allows them to be loaded from autoexec.bat instead of config.sys.
http://www.mdgx.com/dos.htm

Reply 9 of 22, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

Of course!I put them on C:\DOS

Wait, wait. Both CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT should be put on C:\ instead of C:\DOS.

Of course 🤣 😜
Don't think I'm a noob or smth.

Jorpho thanks for the links!They might come in handy.Will try them out tommorow.

Reply 10 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you use the additions for VPC 2004, IIRC they include the DOS drivers that you need.

Have fun setting up DOS in VPC and ignoring DOSBox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Dosbox isn't pure DOS,it's emulation.Having pure DOS on a PC is much better.

Hmm, I thought this was about running it on VirtualPC...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

DosFreak you might be right.But Dosbox isn't pure DOS,it's emulation.Having pure DOS on a PC is much better.

Provided you have all the necessary hardware, of course, and sufficiently low speed.

Reply 14 of 22, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Having pure DOS on a PC is much better.

Except I can run more games in DOSBox than I ever could on a single real PC with DOS. DOSBox is like having several different PCs with DOS/Win3x.

Reply 17 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

and DosBox is actually faster for DOS games than VPC/Vmware anyways. 😀

Last edited by DosFreak on 2007-09-24, 12:19. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 18 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Speaking about full speed, how about VDMS?

Reply 19 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yeah, more speed with VPC, full speed with VDMS and most compatibility with Dosgames Dosbox.
It's that easy. If you want to play games choose Dosbox. Really. VDMS is severly impacted by Windows' dos prompt. VPC is crap regarding games...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper