Common searches

Dead AWE32?

Topic actions

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello. I've just bought an AWE32 (CT3900, non-PnP). I'm so disappointed with it because I think it's dead. After I insert the card in to the ISA slot, when I turn on my PC, I get no BIOS POST message. If I remove the card, everything is OK with my machine.

I have tried to re-insert the card in to the ISA slot a few times, and also tried all other available ISA slots. I have also tried another working AWE32 card, and that works OK in my motherboard.

I do not understand what some of the jumpers do on this non-PnP CT3900 model, but would that really stop my PC from POSTing?

Thanks very much for any help on this matter, best regards, Robert.

Reply 1 of 8, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe it's set to IRQ7 and conflict with the LPT port but you should get a IRQ conflict error message then if your PC is modern enough

Never had any problems with a non booting PC just because a legacy card is defect...it should boot anyway.....odd

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 8, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is the IDE connector of the awe32 which can conflict with the one of the mobo
Many old mobos / io-cards only have 1 ide port, your awe32 ide port may be jumpered as 2nd ide port

Type win to loose the power of your computer !

Reply 3 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To Amigaz:

I currently have Parallel port disabled in BIOS. I might try enabling it just to see if it makes a difference.

To StickByDos:

On my CT3900 model, there are 2 IDE interfaces. There is also a cluster of 3 jumpers near them that reads:

IOCHRDY
IDE100
IDE101

I don't know how to set these jumpers. However, I have tried this jumper configuration:

IOCHRDY Open
IDE100 Closed
IDE101 Closed

(No success.)

Best regards, Robert.

Reply 4 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PS, I'm sorry I forgot something:

Also, there is another cluster of 5 jumpers next to the ones I already mentioned. These read:

IDE IRQ

Currently, all 5 jumpers are Open.

Reply 5 of 8, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Jumpers here

According what you said, ide is disabled
You said "2 IDE interfaces" , only one is ide, the 2nd (panasonic) is an old interface for cdrom (not compatible with ide cdrom)

Have you tried it on another computer ?

Have you reserved irq in the bios set-up for legacy isa, if your bios assign irq 5 or 7 to pci device, it can conflict with your non-pnp awe32

Type win to loose the power of your computer !

Reply 6 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks very much for the jumpers info.

I've just tried the AWE32 in another computer, and I get exactly the same symptoms - no POST at all - the PC will not boot-up.

I suspect there may be something really wrong with the card. I've tried cleaning the ISA pin contacts that run along the ISA slot, but that did not help.

Best regards, Robert.

Reply 7 of 8, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

I suspect there may be something really wrong with the card.

I agree. This looks rather bleak.

Maybe we can spot something if you make a high-res photo of the card (front and back) and post it here. But it may not be worth the trouble.

Reply 8 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm really sorry but I can't upload a good photo of the card - I just haven't got a decent enough camera to take a proper close-up picture of it.

I tried the card in 3 different mobos, and all 3 failed to POST, so I really think the card was significantly damaged in some way.

I have subsequently disposed of it.

Best regards, Robert.