Common searches

Star Trek: A Final Unity on Windows XP

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 81, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone ever figure out how to get this game running stable? I can stand the sound problems, but not a crash every 3 mins. I'm running it in XP with VDMSound. I also tried VPC 2004 but it won't even start in there....just kills VPC with some odd error.

Reply 21 of 81, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got it running in DOSBox but it was a bit of a pain.

The game is installed to c:\games\sttngafu (I think I installed it through DOSBox but you have to use MOUNT c c:\ and MOUNT e e:\ -t CDROM to mount the hard drive and CD-ROM (note if your CD-ROM is D you'll need to type MOUNT d d:\ -t CDROM in DOSBox).

I put a .bat file called sttnggo.bat in the sttngafu folder containing the following (this is to allow the game to boot via a shortcut so the bat file is important or DOSBox won't have mounted the CD-ROM before triggering the game):

sttng
exit

Then I have a shortcut to DOSBox with the following in the Target line: "C:\Program Files\DOSBox\dosbox.exe" -conf sttngafu.conf -exit

I also have a .conf file in the DOSBox folder called "sttngafu.conf" containing the following:

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
output=surface
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=500
waitonerror=true

[dosbox]
language=
machine=auto
memsize=16

[render]
frameskip=0
snapdir=C:\
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]
core=normal
cycles=20000
cycleup=500
cycledown=500

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
wavedir=C:\

[midi]
mpu401=true
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
sblaster=true
base=220
irq=5
dma=1
sbrate=22050
adlib=true
adlibrate=22050
adlibmode=adlib
cms=false

[gus]
gus=false

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=true
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true

[modem]
modem=false

[autoexec]
mount c c:\
mount e e:\ -t cdrom
c:
cd games\sttngafu
sttnggo

----------
NOTE: if your CD-ROM is D: not E: you'll need to change the line above to "mount d d:\ -t cdrom".

So then all I do is double-click the shortcut and off it goes. The video is a bit flickery sometimes but the sound is okay (note I have a P4 3.2GHz EE though so you might need to tweak the cycles in the above conf file).

Good luck!

Ice

Reply 22 of 81, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As a moderator, I'd like to reserve "The Guide" DOS/Windows forums to getting games working without full PC emulation. In particular, I'd like to keep DOSBox clutter out as much as possible - they already have a forum. OTOH, as someone who struggles to get games running, I also like the "holistic healing" approach - do whatever you can to get it to run - and that includes emulation. Jury's still out. But interpret me as you like, Ice. 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 23 of 81, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I suppose there's 2 options here: answer the guy's question in the thread he posted in OR post a reply int he DOSBox forum and link to it from here.

I just went for the latter as I'd been working on that game the day before and it seemed the quicker solution.

Should the DOS forum just be for discussion of games in REAL DOS? Or otherwise VDMSound discussion shouldn't happen here either!

I dunno, not looking for a fight, just wondering that's all!

Ice

Reply 24 of 81, by Dauntless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Im haveing trouble installing A Final Unity too 🙁

I can start the installation of the game but when it askes where to install the only option is the Z:\ drive, (which i dont have and is 0MB big, so i dont have enough room)

😕

Reply 25 of 81, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php? … ation+of+DosBox

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 28 of 81, by Sandman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After spending about 12 hours, I've finally figured out how to get the Star Trek 25th Anniversary game to work with Windows XP. It might work for the Final Utility, too:

+ Copy the whole TREKCD dirctory from the CD onto your hard drive.

+ Excute the SETUP.EXE and tell it you have a Soundblaster soundcard (not sure it matter which one -- try SoundblasterPro).

+ Right click on the STARTREK.EXE file, select the Memory tab, set the "Expanded (EMS) Memory" to something 1024 or over.

+ Start up DosBox (I have version 0.63).

+ In DosBox, "mount c c:\" to map to your C Drive (or whatever drive you copied the game onto).

+ Change to the new mapped drive, navigate to the TREKCD folder, and start the game by typing in STARTREK.

+ The sound will probably be skipping. Adjust this by hitting Ctrl-F8 as many times as you need to ("Increase frameskip", whatever that means). This fixes the audio. (YAHOO!) I adjusted it to the setting "10," which appears to be the number it maxes out at. (You see the number in the original DoxBox window.)

Reply 30 of 81, by Troi Tribble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I am new, and here is my problem w/ installing my Star Trek Final Unity on my xp, no matter how many times I've tried, how many different instructions I followed, and whether or not I use Dosbox:

Hi! I am new here, but I have this problem and I really want it to be solved.

It's just that I have this "Star Trek:TNG Final Unity" game, but it only worked on my old win95 computer, which broke and I had to get rid of it. Even on my old win98, it did not install! Now, I have an XP, and it doesn't load on there. I even had installed "Dosbox" and it doesn't help! Here is what I mean:

These 2 pix are BEFORE "Dosbox":

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n158/freew … s/100_0138a.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n158/freew … s/100_0139a.jpg

These 2 pix are AFTER "Dosbox":

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n158/freew … 0probs/dos1.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n158/freew … 20probs/dos.jpg

PLEASE HELP!!!! I am so frustrated! 🙁 Thanks.

Reply 32 of 81, by Troi Tribble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Who cares about the error in DosBox. Does the game install and run?

No, it does NOT install and run!!!!! That's the frustrating part! It will not bypass those errors! I know you guys don't care about dosbox here, but I was just including that to say it happens w/ or w/o it!

Reply 33 of 81, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which version of DosBox are you using?

Make sure that your using DosBox 0.65.

In/ f that doesn't work then download ykhwong's CVS Build from my signature "DosBox CVS Builds"

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 34 of 81, by Troi Tribble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Which version of DosBox are you using?

Make sure that your using DosBox 0.65.

In/ f that doesn't work then download ykhwong's CVS Build from my signature "DosBox CVS Builds"

It IS the latest version, which is 0.65. I just downloaded it yesterday. But still, how the HELL do I get it to install? Actually, how can I install that "ykhwong's CVS build", if there is nowhere download link on his page?????? Please help me!

Reply 35 of 81, by Troi Tribble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I tried again w/ dosbox, this time w/ the "Optimal" install, and it went pretty well, until the end where I got this:
zdrive.jpg
...at which point, I had no choice but to click "ok" and it gave me an error message that I cannot use that drive and to go choose a new one. THERE IS NO WAY TO CHOOSE A NEW DRIVE FROM THERE!!!! Why does it have to be a "z" drive for????? I don't understand any of this! I ask for very little, just to get my game installed and running, that's all! Even w/o the stupid dosbox! HOW DO I DO IT?

Reply 36 of 81, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> HOW DO I DO IT?

I'm rather sure you'd get more help if you posted useful things
like how you configured dosbox (especially the mounting)
instead of asking "how do i do it" repeatedly.

> Why does it have to be a "z" drive for?????

Maybe dosbox is stupid, but at least there comes a README file
along with it for those who can read.

Reply 37 of 81, by Troi Tribble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:
> HOW DO I DO IT? […]
Show full quote

> HOW DO I DO IT?

I'm rather sure you'd get more help if you posted useful things
like how you configured dosbox (especially the mounting)
instead of asking "how do i do it" repeatedly.

> Why does it have to be a "z" drive for?????

Maybe dosbox is stupid, but at least there comes a README file
along with it for those who can read.

Well, I configured the dosbox by typing, "intro cdrom" and typing whatever the hell it told me to type, and YES, I can read, thank you! I read the readme! In fact, I printed it out! But, it still does not help me w/ the "z" problem, nor how to install my damned game!

Reply 38 of 81, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need to mount a C:\ drive.

Print EXACTLY what your typing into dosbox to install this game.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline