VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Marty Friedman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys...i know that this isn't exactly related to vdmsound, but i figured that you guys should help me out in my problem

I'v got a Sound blaster 16 plug and play ISA card.

well i installd it and it works good with windows 95 (my old games os).

But the problem is, that there are some older games that requiers "restart in MS_DOS mode" in order to work properlly and to run smoothly.

the problem is that i don't know how to get my sound card to work in ms-dos mode...
i tried to download the creative labs SB16 isa dos drivers
but when im trying to run the installation (even if it's from ms-dos mode), it says that the installation is running under WINDOWS 95 and that i will shut down, so i can't install the dos drivers.

PLEASE GUYS!!! help me....i have tried everything 🙁
please tell me how to set my soundcard to work in ms-dos mode.

What comes quickly will dissapear in the same quickness.

Reply 1 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah! the good ole' days. I remember fondly when I had one of those blessed cards. Let me see...

+ Make sure Plug & Play OS is set to disabled in bios, just because if it isn't, bios will assign rather weird IRQ and DMA values to your card or maybe it won't initialise it at all. After saving changing to bios and rebooting, check the post screen to see what IRQ and DMA settings are used. Common values are:
FM Port: 388 (Same as Adlib card but now you've got OPL3 support = STEREO)
Port: 220
IRQ: 5 (recommended) or 7 (beyond IRQ7 you may run into probs)
DMA: 1
HDMA: 5
MPU Port: 330

+ Then modify your autoexec.bat file to include the SB id string sentence:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T5

Where A= Port number; I = Interrupt number; D = DMA channel used (8 bits); H = High DMA channel used (16 bits); P= Midi Port (MPU) and T = Type of card.
I'm not sure about the correct value for T, You just can safely omit it.

+ Maybe you may need some sort of mixer initialization program to be run at boot or otherwise you'll get very low volume.

Good luck and keep us posted