VOGONS

Common searches

*New* AESOP_16, AESOP_32 engine thread (Eye of Beholder 3, Dungeon Hack)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It seems that recently a <censored> hacker was at work on Vogons. Apart from other things he probably deleted the original "AESOP_16, AESOP_32 engine thread (Eye of Beholder 3, Dungeon Hack)".

I hope that moderators can recover it somehow, but if not, I will try to make a new one with all informations as in the old one.
(If the old thread is recovered, I will delete this one).

At the beginning I post the ZIP with the cached content of the thread as it was on 12th January 2009 (thanks to Google and DosFreak). It is in MHT format (use Opera or the Internet Explorer to view it). The important attachments will be posted below (I hope I have backuped everything locally, but as far as I know these things are not anywhere else on Internet).

What is AESOP engine?
The both "Eye of Beholder III" and "Dungeon Hack" games from SSI use one game engine (though modified in each case) called AESOP/16. This was a game engine using object oriented language made by John Miles.
I managed to persuade him to release the source code for the AESOP/32 (improved version of AESOP engine planned for release as a patch for EOB 3 - though this release probably never appeared). I compiled the sources and was able to make the "EOB 3" run with it. It is playable though not tested much.
I also made the DAESOP utility enabling to disassemble the AESOP engine bytecode, extract/replace resources, convert original EOB 3 files for AESOP/32 etc.Only future tells whether something usefull comes from it... Personally I would like to see for example a native port of "EOB 3" for some mobile platforms...
At the moment Darke from Exult team plays with the engine...

Mirek

Attachments

• Filename
    original_AESOP_thread_till_12th_January_2009.zip
    File size
    670.97 KiB
    Downloads
    2334 downloads
    File comment
    Original AESOP thread till 12th January 2009 (MHT format - use Opera or the Internet Explorer to view it)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by mirekluza on 2009-01-22, 15:31. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 26, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Original code from John Miles/John Ratcliff

AESOP/32 compiler/documentation from John Miles
(aesop32.zip)

AESOP/32 runtime from John Miles (uses MOD32SND - see below)
(runtime.zip)

MOD32SND (sound mixer) from John Ratcliff (used by the AESOP/32 runtime above)
(sound.zip)

Attachments

• Filename
    aesop32.zip
    File size
    446.56 KiB
    Downloads
    2616 downloads
    File comment
    AESOP/32 compiler/documentation
    File license
  • Filename
    runtime.zip
    File size
    528.74 KiB
    Downloads
    3214 downloads
    File comment
    AESOP/32 runtime from John Miles
    File license
  • Filename
    sound.zip
    File size
    11.38 KiB
    Downloads
    2380 downloads
    File comment
    MOD32SND (sound mixer) from John Ratcliff
    File license
Last edited by mirekluza on 2009-01-22, 07:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 26, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Newly done things

AESOP/32 runtime interpreter build from sources (the complete project in the "Open Watcom" enabling to build an AESOP/32 interpreter which works with the "Eye of Beholder 3")
(AESOP_INTERPRETER_BUILD_2a.zip)

... Two open source libraries from John Miles page are needed (AIL and VFX). Go to http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/ to download th […]
Show full quote

Two open source libraries from John Miles page are needed (AIL and VFX). Go to http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/ to download them.
After compiling the project ARUN.EXE is created, rename it to INTERP.EXE - this is the interpreter.
How to use it:
a) Copy EOB 3 files into a directory
b) Convert EYE.RES for the AESOP/32 (using the DAESOP utilitity - see the previous posts and DAESOP README.TXT)
c) Copy files from RUNTIME.ZIP to the same directory (overwrite)
d) Copy the new INTERP.EXE to the same directory (overwrite)
e) Copy MCGA.DLL (from VFX library) and sound DLLs (from AIL library) to the same directory (overwrite)
f) Start DOSBOX
g) Configure the game
h) Run the game

DAESOP 0.85 utility (resource extractor/replacer, bytecode disassembler, informs about resource types and string resource values, converts the
EOB 3 to the AESOP/32 - bitmaps/fonts/patching).
The DAESOP can now convert the "Eye of Beholder 3" to the AESOP/32 engine and the game is fully playable as far as I know (using the binaries provided by John Miles), though it needs more testing to be sure that everything is ok...
(DAESOP_0_85.zip)

List of the "Dungeon Hack" functions not in the AESOP/32 (potentially useful in future when adding support for DH into AESOP/32)
(ADDITIONAL_DH_RUNTIME_FUNCTIONS.TXT)

Attachments

Reply 3 of 26, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The original thread will *probably* not be restored. I will try to add some other things from the old thread here in future.
Feel free to ask if the old thread contained something important for you I did not add here. I have backup of most of things from the old thread.

Mirek

Reply 4 of 26, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what is the point? don't get me wrong but the original author would not release the sources IIRC... unless the archives above contain a better engine?
I actually own EOBIII from when it was released, I could NEVER enjoy it on my 386sx back then...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:z8aFcGYbK … clnk&cd=2&gl=us

mirekluza DOSBox Moderator no avatar Joined: 2003-08-21 Posts: 1756 Yesterday I received some nice things from John Miles. I di […]
Show full quote

mirekluza
DOSBox Moderator
no avatar
Yesterday I received some nice things from John Miles. I did not check it in detail yet, but it looks like complete sources for AESOP/32 compiler and documentation.
There is no runtime interpreter (too much SSI copyrighted things), though I think that interpreters from EOB 3/Bungeon Hack *may* be usefull (I did not check)...

John Miles explicitly permitted to use it without any restrictions (he owns the copyright). See below.

Just one comment to the quote below: as far as I know 32bit version of AESOP never shipped... Or has anyone seen it? It should be recognizable by using extender (DOS4GW). John Miles made it as patch for EOB 3 (fixing slowdowns) and submitted to SSI. My guess is that it never gort further... If you know anything else I would welcome the information...

Quote:

We did try to make the code as reusable as possible, with the
goal of not only shipping multiple games with the same engine,
but making the engine usable by less-technical artists and scripters.
If you reinvent the engine every game, the game
authors never get a chance to master the technology.
Here's the 32-bit compiler and manual; looking at arcmsg.h, it
appears we still called it "AESOP/16," because the bytecode
interpreter used 16-bit native words. I don't know if the
version of AESOP you have is the 32-bit DOS4GW-based one or not,
but they were very similar.
I own the copyright to the AESOP package itself, and as far as
I'm concerned, it can be considered public-domain. You can do
anything you want with it, forward it to Michael, post it online,
upload it to a warez site, whatever. Happy I did remove the
runtime interpreter code, though, because it would be way too
much work to separate my own code from the parts that are owned
by SSI's corporate heirs.

-- john

Mirek

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 26, by JemyM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finished the entire game with AESOP/32 and published my playthrough on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=3E2550459C8A4766

With AESOP/16 I had many problems, even in DOSBox.
With AESOP/32 the game feels almost as fast as the first two games in the series and the choppiness/slowdowns/audio issues that the original game have, even with DOSBox, is gone, including the sound-go-quiet-when-moving-cursor-issue. This is a definite must have "patch". 😀

For those who just want to play, only a few files is neccessary;
AESOP.EXE
DOS4GW.EXE
INTERP.EXE
A32ADLIB.DLL
A32MT32.DLL
A32SBDG.DLL
A32SPKR.DLL
MCGA.DLL
(from runtime.zip)

EYE.RES renamed from EYE2.RES (Copy EYE.RES to the extracted DAESOP_0_85.zip and run EYECNV.BAT to get eye2.res, about 6.5mb)

Last edited by JemyM on 2010-03-23, 09:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Okay, now roll sanity.

Reply 7 of 26, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

aaahhhh!!! finally a ready-to-use new engine!!!
From what I see there is also no copy protection right? (I actually own 3 versions of EOBIII, do I need to take out a manual? currently I am just using a TRSI patch 😊 ) Gonna test it later!!!

edit: how do I set sound? It uses the same utility as the normal version? will my LAPC-I work? I just take those files, drop them in the normal EOBIII directory (replacing if needed) and all is good to go? Will I finally play and enjoy it after all those years , surpassing the disappointment of getting this original in my 386sx years? 🤣

flelo4.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 26, by JemyM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The version I ended up with had copy protection when I tried it, so I had to use the fix from stanislavs site.
There's only one single check in the entire game though.

To set the sound, type SOUND at the prompt inside the EoB3 folder. I used MT-32 with Timidity++ with Shane's Soundfont and it seems to have LAPC-1 support.

I think moving those files is all you need to do. EYE.BAT is probably not needed.

Okay, now roll sanity.

Reply 10 of 26, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just tried it, it crashed after hitting 2-3 times the ghosts on the 1st level

edit: yep, always crashing after fighting the ghosts 🙁

Reply 12 of 26, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

allright more testing...

1. game does not crash in a XMS-only enviroment. Only himem.sys loaded, sb16 init stuff and ctmouse.
2. with XMS only, then the sound routines have problems: you can only hear one sample at a time, and if a new one starts then the previous gets cut and there is lots of sound "popping" noises... also mouse seems off-center, it appears some pixels lower than it should...

the original actually behaves better and with the same speed on a p200mmx 😖
My test pc is a p200mmx , 64mb ram, a sb16+db50xg + lapc-i sound combo and a riva128 4MB vga... it actually gives me almost zero probs in other software too

this is what I get after hitting the ghosts in the 1st level a couple of times:

2941i07.jpg

I believe this is sound related, replacing dll's from the sound drivers either crash on startup or freeze the computer...

I wish sometime in the future (unlikely though...) some great coder like amiga's CFOU! creates a pc-version of EOB trilogy with the same features as CFOUS's engine (most notably: AUTOMAP)

http://eob.wikispaces.com/EOB2+AGA+GAME

Reply 13 of 26, by JemyM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Am I right to presume that EoB3 is a different engine, just with the same visual look as one and two? That would mean that making EoB3 work on Amiga is like coding a new game from scratch (or at least rewriting/porting the code), a project which is unrelated to the AGA project of EoB1 and 2.

Okay, now roll sanity.

Reply 14 of 26, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

EOB1, EOB2 have the same engine , like Lands of Lore that uses a more advanced version of it. EOB3 uses it's own engine.
Now since all 3 games have their data analyzed (eob1+2 from cfous's work) and 3 from the available sources, it could be possible to build more advanced versions, the amiga ones are used as an example of what can be done with the games....
...one can dream 😀

Reply 15 of 26, by JemyM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With a lot of testing, I found out that the previous procedure was wrong. Ignore my previous instructions and instead take INTERP.EXE and MCGA.DLL from runtime.zip (look above). I wish mirekluza was here to set things straight. Note that if you follow the instructions in the post from 2009-1-22 @ 08:24 am, you will get issues, such as a dysfunctional mousecursor and popping sound (that is, if you use the precompiled ARUN.EXE from AESOP_INTERPRETER_BUILD_2a.zip and MCGA.DLL from Miles website).

Okay, now roll sanity.

Reply 16 of 26, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

awesome!!!! I will test+report later , mega thanks for the update!!!

edit:

OK I tried it, it does not crash , mouse is OK but there is sound popping... samples do not cut off, but there are "pops" . Those "pops" appear also in the normal version, but are more quiet...

Reply 17 of 26, by JemyM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When do these pops happen?
In my game the game pops when MIDI goes on and off, but that's about it.

I also noted that the audio is especially bad in Warriors' Tomb, mostly thanks to the monsters sound there, but gets better later on. Look at my playthrough on youtube (link in my first post here) and see if it sounds similar to what you are experiencing.

Okay, now roll sanity.

Reply 18 of 26, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the pops I am experiencing happen all the time, when you fight a monster for example and there are several samples playing... your videos definitely sound better