VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by deoren

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I've read the guide here, but it's a little unclear to me.

I've used the installer by Enrico Rolfi to generate a dvd image of the Windows installer and could play that way, but I'd like to generate an image that I can use from DOSBox.

Has anyone done this before?

If so, could you help clarify what retro_codger means by

copy unisci to HD folder

? Does that mean having the previous installation of GB2 for Windows in place and then following those steps? Or does it mean having an empty HD folder and then following the steps?

Later in the post he mentions:

(Required) Install Rolfi's CD2DVD patches
(Optional) Install Rolfi's no-interlace patch

Since those have the same file names, is the no-interlace patch that + the CD2DVD patches? The combined size is larger for the no-interlace patch so it sounds logical ...

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Note:

I realize I could probably rip all 6 cd isos and mount them all up in DOSBox, but I was trying to avoid the Ctrl-F4 step to swap "discs".

Reply 1 of 11, by deoren

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I looked back over this page and found this:

It is possible to install the DOS version into this Windows only install to have these advantages, but still use the DOS interpreter for DOSBox.

So, does that mean I install the DOS version from the original CDs into that directory, or I follow the steps from here?

If I do follow those steps, are there any files I shouldn't overwrite?

Reply 2 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Create a folder on your harddrive to copy the CDs to and copy unisci to that same folder. I can't really say about the patches, as I can't download what is linked to see. Enrico does not have those files available on his page. Can you please post the download here and I would be happy to help?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 11, by deoren

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply.

Attachments

• Filename
    gk2_dvd.zip
    File size
    29.69 KiB
    Downloads
    395 downloads
    File comment
    gk2_dvd.7z repackaged as gk2_dvd.zip
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That post is a little unclear. The idea is to join all of the resource.aud files from each disc together into one big resource.aud file, all of the resource.sfx files into one resource.sfx file, each resmap.00* file into one resmap.000 and each ressci.00* file into one ressci.000 file. See if the following is a little easier to understand.

Create a folder on your harddrive to join them, say c:\unisci.

Copy resource.aud from CD1 to c:\unisci and rename it resaud.001
Copy resource.aud from CD2 to c:\unisci and rename it resaud.002
Copy resource.aud from CD3 to c:\unisci and rename it resaud.003
Copy resource.aud from CD4 to c:\unisci and rename it resaud.004
Copy resource.aud from CD5 to c:\unisci and rename it resaud.005
Copy resource.aud from CD6 to c:\unisci and rename it resaud.006

Copy resource.sfx from CD1 to c:\unisci and rename it ressfx.001
Copy resource.sfx from CD2 to c:\unisci and rename it ressfx.002
Copy resource.sfx from CD3 to c:\unisci and rename it ressfx.003
Copy resource.sfx from CD4 to c:\unisci and rename it ressfx.004
Copy resource.sfx from CD5 to c:\unisci and rename it ressfx.005
Copy resource.sfx from CD6 to c:\unisci and rename it ressfx.006

Copy resmap.001 from CD1 to c:\unisci
Copy resmap.002 from CD2 to c:\unisci
Copy resmap.003 from CD3 to c:\unisci
Copy resmap.004 from CD4 to c:\unisci
Copy resmap.005 from CD5 to c:\unisci
Copy resmap.006 from CD6 to c:\unisci

Copy ressci.001 from CD1 to c:\unisci
Copy ressci.002 from CD2 to c:\unisci
Copy ressci.003 from CD3 to c:\unisci
Copy ressci.004 from CD4 to c:\unisci
Copy ressci.005 from CD5 to c:\unisci
Copy ressci.006 from CD6 to c:\unisci

Lastly, copy UniSCI.exe from the download to c:\unisci

You should now have 25 files in this folder. You are now ready to join the files. Go to Start > Run and type:

c:\unisci\unisci -n:6

and press enter. UniSCI.exe will run and you will now see 4 new files in the c:\unisci

folder.

RESMAP.000
RESSCI.000
RESOURCE.AUD
RESOURCE.SFX

Copy the contents of all 6 CDs to another folder on your harddrive, overwriting any files from the previous discs. Move the above 4 joined files to the same folder that has all of the files from the CDs. The c:\unisci folder can now be deleted.

If you do not want to apply the No Interlace patch, copy the contents of the Rolfi__CD2DVD folder from the download to the game's folder, overwriting the existing files. If you do want to apply the No Interlace patch, copy the contents of the Rolfi__Interlace folder from the download instead, overwriting the existing files.

Edit RESOURCE.CFG to the following:

videoDrv  = VESA.DRV
soundDrv = MIDNONE.DRV
audioDrv = DACBLAST.DRV
joyDrv = NO
directory = \sierra\gk2dos
cmd = GK2DOS
mouseDrv = NONE
memoryDrv = NONE
minMemory = 1600k
brightness = 0
language = 1
minCPU = 486
smartdrv = YES
language = 351

resAUD=.\
resSFX=.\
resMAP=.\
rescdisc=.\
patchDir=.\;.\PATCHES;.\SUB
movieDir=.\movies
robot=.\robot

Make a batch file by entering the following in Notepad:

sierra .\resource.cfg 

and saving it as GK2DOS.BAT in the game's folder.

To play the game in DOSBox run GK2DOS.BAT in DOSBox.

Reply 7 of 11, by deoren

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, great job at simplifying that, thanks!

One question:

The guide made it sound like the No Interlace patch was optional, but the contents of the Rolfi__CD2DVD folder was required.

If that's true, and a person wished to use the No Interlace patch, does it already contain the fix or fixes that the CD2DVD patch has?

Reply 8 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The No Interlace patch contains the same files as the CD2DVD patch in addition to a couple of other files. If you apply the No Interlace patch after the CD2DVD patch, the CD2DVD patch is completely overwritten.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 11, by deoren

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really appreciate your responses, and I don't mean to come across as dense, but I'm just trying to understand this.

The No Interlace patch contains the same files as the CD2DVD patch in addition to a couple of other files.

Alright, I got that part. They use the same file names.

If you apply the No Interlace patch after the CD2DVD patch, the CD2DVD patch is completely overwritten.

That would mean that if you apply the No Interlace patch after the CD2DVD patch, then you don't get the changes introduced in the CD2DVD patch?

To be honest I don't even know what the changes introduced in the CD2DVD patch are, I just took it (reading that thread on fileforums) that it was not optional and I didn't understand how the two could coexist unless the CD2DVD patch changes were somehow bundled into the files from the No Interlace patch.

Am I making any sense? Sometimes I don't. 😦

Reply 10 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The game will start without the CD2DVD patch, but there is no button to start a new game. The No Interlace patch seems to include the CD2DVD patch.