VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi there. 😁 I'm trying to get Warcraft II running on Windows XP through VDMSound, and it's playable, but the music's slower than it should be, and the whole thing is kinda choppy.Do you guys have any tips on how to speed things up? Thanx. First post, BTW. 😁

P.S. I have successfully gotten it to work under dosbox (it works quite well, I may add), and I have absolutely no problems running it under Windows 98, but the whole reason why I want to do it this way is so that I can play networked games with my friends without having to reeboot (yes, we're a bunch of nerds 🤣).

Reply 2 of 15, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That sounds like a good idea, but the only problem is, is that most of the other machines on my LAN are too slow to run Warcraft II under DosBox (many of them are just spare Pentium II/III boxes), so I have to run it directly.

EDIT: Never mind, I'll just run it under '98. 😁

Reply 6 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

They can, but not in a meaningful way (unless you also run DOSBox in W98).

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Show-off!

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 15, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1st) rip/copy all the CD Music off of Warcraft 2 disc as MP3 or FLAC

2nd) install Battle.NET edition

3rd) play music in media player while playing the game

4th) enjoy awesome experience with quality music 😀

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 11 of 15, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The best Warcraft II music experience is taking the original midi tracks and playing them on a Roland SoundCanvas or similar. To bad they changed from Midi to pre-recorded music on the Battle.net edition. As it degrades quality and increases size.

Reply 13 of 15, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know about the Battle.Net edition, but the CD audio tracks on the regular Warcraft II CD were made with the SC-88 I think, which is higher quality than the MIDIs playing through an SC-55. It's close, though. But the SC-88 has higher quality samples.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 14 of 15, by Tualatin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote:

The best Warcraft II music experience is taking the original midi tracks and playing them on a Roland SoundCanvas or similar. To bad they changed from Midi to pre-recorded music on the Battle.net edition. As it degrades quality and increases size.

Did you actually notice the degradation? I think it sounded the same to my original War2 CD music 😀

Reply 15 of 15, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is like comparing CD quality synthesizer output to something like a pre-recorded 128 kbps mp3 file. Agreed it is not much of a quality problem. But you do lose the flexibility to use the synthesizer or soundfont of your preference, like a Yamaha or a Korg.

A similar thing happened with the Tie-Fighter Windows 95 version: the imuse midi system was replaced with pre-recorded audio. Originally the music changed according to the gameplay situation (action, victory, suspense...), in the '95 version it was just static background music. bleh.