VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sheppi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the CD version of this game.
I´ve tried to run it with vmds and with the launch pad also, but the game refuses to run cause it can´t find a vesa driver, even though i´ve enabled basic vesa support.
Is there any way of getting this baby running under 2k ?
Thx four your help.

Sheppi

My machine:
Mainboard MSI 6380, Athlon XP 1600+, ASUS Gf3-Ti200/64MB,
512 MB DDR ram, Win2k SP2

Reply 1 of 7, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

*Disable* basic VESA support, then press Alt+Enter quickly every time you see the VDMSound license on the screen in the DOS box. Windows' VESA support is so much crap that sometimes you actually have to go full-screen by pressing Alt+Enter in order for it to work (don't ask me why because I don't have the slightest idea).

V.

Reply 3 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why use command.com? In NT it's just slower and I've never seen it increase compatibility over NTVDM. It may work for slowing down programs.....mabye...but it would be REALLY slow.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 7, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VLP files don't use either. They just get converted (at runtime) into a .pif, a config.nt, an autoexec.nt, a VDMS.INI and the .pif is "run" (whatever does Windows do behind the scenes with that). In any case, spawning a command.com "manually" (which you can easily do with vlp files anyway -- just specify %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\command.com as the excutable and "/c mygame.exe bla bla" as the arguments) will only give you two instances of command.com in memory (you can check).

V.