VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Evildrak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am running the latest VDM sound 2.0.4 (update1) and Abandon Loader (latest ver.)
Try as I may I cannot get Heretic running at normal speed...music is slow and when I move my character everything gets even slower. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply 1 of 14, by EddyB43

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You might want to try a simpler approach and use a source port named jHeretic which ran very well for me in the past, which can use 3D acceleration. The 3D models are optional, and I personally think they look weird in a Doom engine game.

Reply 2 of 14, by Evildrak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How do you turn off the (optional) 3D? (I found the control panel in options (cool!) but couldn't find a way to do either of these 2 things in any of the games (have all three WADS). The 3D is incredible, but I would like to play the game in it's original pixelated sprites of glory 😉
😁

Thank you so much!

Last edited by Evildrak on 2002-09-01, 02:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Evildrak wrote:

How do you turn off the (optional) 3D?

gak...You don't wanna do that. Trust me. Use the "real" 3D with the "No AutoAim" option and you hit the targets you want to hit instead of whatever AutoAim chooses for you...

The 3D is incredible, but I would like to play the game in it's original pixelated sprites of glory 😉
😁

Phbtt. Look under graphics options, you should be able to find it there. I think it's graphic smoothing.

In any case there actually multiple ports. Go to:
http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/ports/
Look under the Windows section and search for "Heretic". In any case, I think JHeretic is the best implementation out there.

Reply 5 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bleh, I played Doom/Heretic/Hexen when they first came out and I always prefer Jdoom/JHexen/JHeretic over the originals...without the 3d models of cours. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Don't tell him what he wants to do!! 😉

Hey, I pointed him in the right direction. Understand that this is like scraping the chocolate frosting and sprinkles off a donut. *shudder*

Reply 7 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

...without the 3d models of course. 😉

Actually, I like the 3d "inanimate" objects. The chandelier fooled me completely, until I looked up from underneath it. The "monsters" have a way to go, but the 3d Models are getting better though...the "disciple" is looking pretty good.

Reply 8 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're not supposed to be standing around looking at inanimate objects, fool! It's a first person shooter!! You're supposed to shoot and run, shoot and run, rinse and repeat, that kinda stuff.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

You're not supposed to be standing around looking at inanimate objects, fool!

I tend to play them more like action adventures. I prefer to make the critters "take care of themselves". Yoohoo! Mr. Maulotaur! Here I am come and get me...right through these giant dropping blocks of stone.

My favorite thing to do is start fights between different creatures. Oh, and pushing them off cliffs. Pure Wile E. Coyote.

Reply 10 of 14, by Evildrak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh dear! oh D D dear dear! 😮
Lookie what I started.
All of you are right, the 3d does look a lot better, and I do prefer it over the original. I figured out how to come close though, just for "nostalgia" sake 😁
I just go into the video options in the control panel and turn off all the flares, models, objects etc, and dumb it down to like 400x300.... Instant "retro" doom/hexen/heretic! 😉
Also, is it just me or does heretic seem like more of a bear with the 3d models enabled? Maybe it justs messes with my head, all that 3d in a pixel/sprite native environment o_0
And yes, it is quite amusing to start fights between creatures 😁
The gargoyles seem to like to brawl amongst one another the most, and doom was notorious for it. Let one imp hit another imp with a fireball, and the other one would turn and "take his frustrations on the poor son-of-a-bitch with the terrible aim," to quote from ID, or something to that effect 😜

Last edited by Evildrak on 2002-09-02, 14:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Evildrak wrote:

Also, is it just me or does heretic seem like more of a bear with the 3d models enabled?

It definitely is. There's a lot more resources used for moving an animated 3d polygonal object around than there is for moving around a bunch of 2D sprites. Incidentally, this forced "true" 3D gamers to deal with a lot less creatures because they placed such a high demand on resources. This meant few of the 3D games out could produce the "overwhelming swarm" effect that DOOM could create so effectively.

I think one exception was the KISS shooter. Review detailed a sequence where you approached several stacks of crates. At the proper moment (namely you getting too close), all the crates simultaneously explode and release a swarm of spider-critters.
LithTech (the engine developers) could accomplish this because they used a technique (I forgot whose...Intel?) that causes all objects close to you to have greater detail while all of those further away to have less. That helped even out the polygon count and keep things moving.

Reply 12 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, Serious Sam is the only recent game I can think of with tons of enemies on screen. Looks like Doom 3 won't have as many. Heck, I doubt you'll see more than 3-4 enemies in the same screen unless it's a boss battle then there may be more. 🙁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline