VOGONS

Common searches

Reelmagic/Realmagic MPEG games

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 133, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe I am spreading unnecessary confusion here. The Archive.org iso (I think it's not allowed to link to it here?), which installs with INSTRM.EXE, also has 'suspect' build files on the disc. BBMF.BAT for instance attempts to build movie files from non-existing .mpg files, from a non-existing F:\-drive. Could be sloppy / unused / leftover files, but this is what made me question whether or not it was a finished disc, and looking further into it I found posts of others doubting it as well.

Reply 121 of 133, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sndwv wrote on 2023-03-20, 21:51:

Maybe I am spreading unnecessary confusion here. The Archive.org iso (I think it's not allowed to link to it here?), which installs with INSTRM.EXE, also has 'suspect' build files on the disc. BBMF.BAT for instance attempts to build movie files from non-existing .mpg files, from a non-existing F:\-drive. Could be sloppy / unused / leftover files, but this is what made me question whether or not it was a finished disc, and looking further into it I found posts of others doubting it as well.

This is why people should not randomly speculate. That game came from a sealed retail boxed copy.

Reply 123 of 133, by Uka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The game is not "unfinished", I'd say it is rather unpolished.
Nobody has questioned its existence - sndwv has only expressed some doubts as to whether it was released commercially. And as you can see, there are proofs that it was!
Still, it does look like they have left some source codes and other developers' messages on the disk.

Reply 124 of 133, by Hammer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Uka wrote on 2023-03-21, 03:36:

The game is not "unfinished", I'd say it is rather unpolished.
Nobody has questioned its existence - sndwv has only expressed some doubts as to whether it was released commercially. And as you can see, there are proofs that it was!
Still, it does look like they have left some source codes and other developers' messages on the disk.

Now that that's all cleared up, can someone please get it working in Dosbox? 😉

Reply 125 of 133, by Uka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hammer wrote on 2023-03-21, 11:49:

Now that that's all cleared up, can someone please get it working in Dosbox? 😉

That's probably something only jrdennisoss can help with 😀
Hopefully DOSBox Staging people as well.

Reply 126 of 133, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Someone know list of compatible hardware, which work with this games?
Maybe these?:

Attachments

Reply 128 of 133, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Uka wrote on 2024-01-30, 10:34:

envagyok, those do not look like ReelMagic/REALmagic cards!
You need only MPEG-cards by Sigma Designs with DOS drivers: "ReelMagic", "ReelMagic Lite", "REALmagic Maxima"...

Yes, they don't. See here for productlist: Sigma Designs RealMagic complete productlist, supported games and drivers

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 129 of 133, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote on 2024-01-30, 12:17:

Then this card good?:

Attachments

• 20240130_213519.jpg
    Filename
    20240130_213519.jpg
    File size
    1.72 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 131 of 133, by Uka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sadly no new RM games has been found yet, but I have an update about "Entity"!

Uka wrote on 2021-05-08, 17:05:

'Entity' (#5) is a special case as the disk image is not official and the game requires modifications in order to work in MPEG mode.

It does require a patch, but I have finally bought the official edition!

It is dated 1996 - Loriciel did not exist then any more, but somehow both Maxell and "PC Collector" magazine (which re-published it in 1997) have got hold of the game. Maybe there was actually the Loriciel edition from 1994?

Attachments

• CD.jpg
    Filename
    CD.jpg
    File size
    301.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 133 of 133, by siccoyote

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just been playing my first reel magic game Flash Traffic. It looks a lot smoother than the regular version but it just bugs me that the mpeg is obviously being resized from 352x240 to 320x200 using nearest neighbour resulting it just dropping every 8 line or so resulting in a very blocky video look. I'm guessing this is how the original hardware worked? I just wish there was some way to make it look less janky, like play it back at 2x so 704x480, then resize it down to 320x200 using a antialiasing so diagonal lines and stuff looked smoother. Then layer the regular graphics on top.
I'm not the most knowledgeable about this so don't know if this is already do-able.