VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had a bit of a google around and it doesn't look like the original Syndicate (93/94 era) supports general midi.

If so then that's a shame, and I just thought I'd confirm - anyone know different?

thanks.

Reply 4 of 15, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote:

Mobygames says it only supports Soundblaster

Right you are, I should have checked Moby. Oh well it's still sound pretty cool via my OPL chip.

Thanks.

Reply 5 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just got it from GOG.com and it doesn't have an INSTALL or SETUP file just like in Wing Commander.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 15, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I just got it from GOG.com and it doesn't have an INSTALL or SETUP file just like in Wing Commander.

That's a shame, I do like GOG but would it hurt to include an optional version of the original game disks for those of us not using Dosbox?

My understanding is that the original setup program created a BAT file for you which calls the EXE with the relevant switches to set IRQ, etc.

I recall playing it without sound back in the day because the version I had was not legit (hey I was a pennyless teenager) and therefore didn't include the setup program.

Reply 8 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm if it created a BAT file then there should be command line parameters for MAIN.EXE. There is also INTRO.EXE in the GOG.com version but that's about it.

Yes missing installers, missing expansion packs or other surprises (CD version of the game / floppy version) are common with GOG.com releases. Sometimes you hear about this in forums but not always.

The Wing Commander release is quite disappointing. No expansion packs and no installer so you're stuck with Sound Blaster. A real shame because you can get the full game for free (illegal) and while I did buy all the Wing Commander games from GOG.com it's still quite disappointing to be honest.

EDIT:

Found this from, guess where, VOGONS 😀

main.exe >nul: /iirq7 /idma1 /iio$220 /c0

Link: Re: No sound in Syndicate

PS: At least we have a quite modern DOS game with OPL3 sound!

Reply 10 of 15, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is the content of my synd.bat:

intro /irq5 /idma1
main >nul: /h /irq5 /idma1

If you look into the DATA directory, you will find a file called GAMEFM.DLL.

This is internally a MILES driver so theoretically it should be possible to switch it for a General MIDI or MT32 one. I Never tried it personally, though.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 11 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This site has some alternate drivers you can use: http://syndicate.lubie.org/synd/html/synd_patches.php

I tried the MT-32 one and it doesn't sound very good. Obviously the game's music is not arranged for MT-32. Unfortunately the driver pack didn't come with a General MIDI driver.

Reply 12 of 15, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is something I collected:

a32mt32.dll - MPU401 General Midi driver (despite its name)
gusdig32.dll - GUS digital driver
gusmid32.dll - GUS MIDI driver
a32ardg.dll - ARIA chipset digital driver
a32arxm.dll - ARIA chipset MIDI driver

Attachments

• Filename
    a32.zip
    File size
    55.14 KiB
    Downloads
    100 downloads
    File comment
    Few Miles AIL 2.0 drivers
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 13 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bristlehog wrote:
Here is something I collected: […]
Show full quote

Here is something I collected:

a32mt32.dll - MPU401 General Midi driver (despite its name)
gusdig32.dll - GUS digital driver
gusmid32.dll - GUS MIDI driver
a32ardg.dll - ARIA chipset digital driver
a32arxm.dll - ARIA chipset MIDI driver

That MPU-401 driver doesn't seem to work with Syndicate Plus. Didn't try the others.

Reply 14 of 15, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The original game has an INSTALL program, but it only allows to select "Sound Blaster" and "No sound". The XMIDI files lie open in the game directory, but they sound bad with both General MIDI and Roland MT-32, as gerwin already mentioned. Injecting a driver from another game will at most only get you the same bad sound.

Reply 15 of 15, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK it only has FM music. But very good one nevertheless! I still listen to mission music sometimes when I work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QxYku4VVZk