Sierra/Dynamix sound driver hacking

Topic actions

Reply 260 of 332, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Such as the "Where am I?" sample?

Sorry if this sounds like a noob question, but do these also go into the game folder or not? The readme leaves me wondering...

Or put another way, to have everything fully working does one only need to copy over MTBLAST.DRV?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 261 of 332, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The SOUND.* files are the music files for SCI0 games. Later SCI games had other resource files to store the digital recordings, *.AUD being one of the first with a new option added to the CFG file. A few of the later SCI0 games embedded PCM samples in the SOUND.* files, such as the "Where am I?". To here them you can use one of the after market drivers that will play both the music and the PCM, but you need to edit the RESOURCE.CFG to get the game to use the driver. Any modified SOUND files can just be dropped in the game's folder to have the game use them. They will effectively override the matching resource in the resource archive. Sierra designed it that way for easy patching.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 262 of 332, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok so basically MTBLAST.DRV adds the ability to play MT-32 and PCM, whereas the sound.* files contain the PCM samples (and they are not recordings from a MT-32)?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 263 of 332, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would like to play Conquest of the Longbow, does anyone know how to patch the PROAUDIO.DRV file to accept my PAS16 card which operates on IRQ3/DMA3?

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 264 of 332, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi.

"Port of NewRisingSun's Betrayal at Krondor GM+PCM hacks to floppy and CD v1.02 (tikalat): viewtopic.php?p=269789#269789"
specifically the external link in this post Re: Sierra/Dynamix sound driver hacking

Is down, probably because of expired link. Anyone has it?

Did your installer have it collector? I basically can't stand the buggy redbook audio in krondor cd but that IS the most patched version of the game so i was looking to have my cake - less bugs - and eat it - mt32 emulation with PCM sound effects through munt.

Last edited by Serious Callers Only on 2015-08-04, 17:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 265 of 332, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, my installer rips and compresses the CDA tracks for the music. Though I do have a handful Munt enabled DOSBox installers on the SHP message board, I don't set the regular installers on the main site for MT-32 both because of the ROMs and the fact that I use stock 0.74, though the user can select a different DOSBox on install.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 267 of 332, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Never mind. The post was edited and now he has a multi-exe patcher. Therefore you only need the new rising sun stuff, DON'T overwrite the exe, make sure it's not read only (my mistake) and unzip the patcher zip and run it.

Another nice thing that could go into your installers collector 😀

Reply 268 of 332, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

BTW new rising sun, were you aware that Rise of the Dragon for the Sega Cd has full voiced audio (except a censored 'sex' scene)? Could be another crazy project for you 😉

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TuiEOm1FxQ

Pity dynamix managed to screw the palette of their own game when porting.

Reply 271 of 332, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I totally forgot about this thread until I got my MIDI synths working with my new laptop and started messing around with some old games. Is there anything I need to add/update in the original post?

Reply 272 of 332, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:

I totally forgot about this thread until I got my MIDI synths working with my new laptop and started messing around with some old games. Is there anything I need to add/update in the original post?

Some sort of all-in-one overview post with all the patches would be awesome?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 273 of 332, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

Some sort of all-in-one overview post with all the patches would be awesome?

That's what the first post is supposed to be. I didn't want to directly attach the files, but probably should have because the links may be rotting by now.

Reply 275 of 332, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:

I didn't want to directly attach the files, but probably should have because the links may be rotting by now.

Let me know if any are dead. I should have them all.

Reply 276 of 332, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

I didn't want to directly attach the files, but probably should have because the links may be rotting by now.

Let me know if any are dead. I should have them all.

I actually went looking (unsuccessfully) on SHP for the SB+GM driver hack for Betrayal at Krondor before I had a faint recollection of discussing it here.

Reply 277 of 332, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never got around to putting them on my site. See if this is the one you wanted

Attachments

• Filename
    Betrayal at Krondor.7z
    File size
    1.12 MiB
    Downloads
    213 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 278 of 332, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually went looking (unsuccessfully) on SHP for the SB+GM driver hack for Betrayal at Krondor before I had a faint recollection of discussing it here.

I've been using it. Pretty awesome, IMO the definitive way to play the game audio-wise. Although I prefer the MIDI SFX for some of them!

Reply 279 of 332, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got some Krondor audio questions.

Here's what I did -
Install from CD, selecting General MIDI
Download and install 1.02 patch
Download the patch that collector just posted
Overwrite FRP.SX with NRS's version
Overwrite SX.OVL with tikalat's version
Copy 'Sierra patch.exe', execute to modify KRONDOR.EXE

First, is that what I should be doing? Is this the best MIDI fix, and the right way to use it?

Now if I turn off CD audio, I should get General MIDI as intended, plus SB sound effects?

Is there any real difference between this setup, and just playing the floppy version?

Suppose I turn *on* CD audio without changing anything else. Should I still get the full SB sound effects, but with redbook audio instead of GM?

The downsides to CD audio, that I know of, are lack of looping and lack of fades. Are there other downsides? Are there any upsides (relative to using GM on a real SC-55)?

What can I do if I want to hear MIDI SFX instead? I'm assuming I'd need to switch back to the original KRONDOR.EXE to do that.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM