Common searches

Lemmings 3D - CD with CD music

Topic actions

First post, by fil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello all

i have been trying to run the CD version of Lemmings 3D but i can't get the sound or music working on it? i am using the default soundblaster and midi settings in dosbox and in the setup it seems to configure the sound card ok, there's no error message, but i get this message on running the game:

EFFECTS DRIVER ERROR - EFFECTS DISABLED
MUSIC DRIVER ERROR - MUSIC DISABLED

has anyone managed to get lemmings 3d working with sound and cd music?

thanks a lot

Reply 2 of 21, by fil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolano wrote:

I'm able to if GUS sound is used, but can't get SB sound working either.

could you be more specific? you are able to specifically get what working? CD music and sound effects? or just one or the other? i'm not bothered about getting specifically soundblaster working, as long as i can get the sound effects and music both working i don't really care what emulated device it uses

Last edited by fil on 2012-06-26, 19:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The in-game music is redbook CD audio played off the CD; the menu music is standard MIDI. Thus, to get in-game music you'll either need to mount the actual CD using the appropriate switch for the MOUNT command, or you'll need to use IMGMOUNT and a CD image (likely in BIN/CUE format).

http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=722&letter=L says General MIDI needs to be selected in the game's setup program.

Reply 5 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fil wrote:

we already know all about mounting the CD, that's done,

Well, why don't you provide the details, just in case you got it wrong? 😀

and i don't want midi music

It's not a matter of what you want; that's what it is. To clarify my earlier post, there is no way you will get any CD audio until you actually start playing a level, because that is the only time the game plays CD audio.

Reply 7 of 21, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It seems the game only plays CD audio in some places, such as during the various levels, but not at the main menu (for example). So, I guess you'd probably want some kind of soundcard or synth music in addition to CD audio.

The combination of GUS+GM+CDDA works fine here in DOSBox 0.74; I'm using default settings except for: core=dynamic, cycles=max, sbtype=none, gus=true.

There does appear to be an issue with the game's SB driver in DOSBox that I'll report to the devs.

Reply 9 of 21, by fil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

using those settings i've got the midi and cd music working now, but still on startup i get:

EFFECTS DRIVER ERROR - EFFECTS DISABLED

i have set the effects to Gravis Ultrasound in the setup, and it still wont work

Reply 12 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a lot more involved to the GUS emulation going. You need drivers in the ULTRASND directory. There are some guides somewhere on the Internet as to how to get this all done.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 21, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You didn't mention it specifically, so just trying the most obvious things first. 😉

It seems the game's GUS driver wants the ULTRASND directory set up with the ULTRASND.INI file and instrument patches. I already have that directory set up, but I'm guessing you don't.

There's a guide on installing the GUS stuff here. It seems like a good guide, but I just installed the stuff myself, so can't say for sure. You only need the 4.11 files, there's no need to add the "Pro Patches" or extra stuff until you get the basics working.

Reply 14 of 21, by fil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

There is a lot more involved to the GUS emulation going. You need drivers in the ULTRASND directory. There are some guides somewhere on the Internet as to how to get this all done.

firstly, that is for gus music, not sound effects

secondly, ripsaw8080 himself has emphasized he is using the standard dosbox 0.74 settings, so why don't you read the entire post, not just 1 entry

Reply 15 of 21, by fil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

You didn't mention it specifically, so just trying the most obvious things first. 😉

It seems the game's GUS driver wants the ULTRASND directory set up with the ULTRASND.INI file and instrument patches. I already have that directory set up, but I'm guessing you don't.

There's a guide on installing the GUS stuff here. It seems like a good guide, but I just installed the stuff myself, so can't say for sure. You only need the 4.11 files, there's no need to add the "Pro Patches" or extra stuff until you get the basics working.

and you didn't mention either specifically you had set up a special gus folder, you said you were using the default dosbox settings, those were your words

and on top of all that, gus sound effects do not need any folder to be set up, only gus music needs a special folder. you can test it with any game that supports gus as the effects driver and it will work every time without any folder needing to be set up, so is completely irrelevant anyway

Last edited by fil on 2012-06-27, 14:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 21, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

and you didn't mention either specifically you had set up a special gus folder, you said you were using the default dosbox settings, those were your words

Firstly, I didn't set it up specifically for this game, it was there from before; and it didn't occur to me to mention that I had installed the GUS stuff previously because I didn't know it was important in this case. Secondly, I wrote that I'm using default settings in DOSBox 0.74 except for certain others that I listed. Those were my words, and I meant exactly what I wrote. The contents of the ULTRASND directory are *not* a DOSBox setting.

and on top of all that, gus sound effects do not need any folder to be set up, only gus music needs a special folder. you can test it with any game that supports gus as the effects driver and it will work every time without any folder needing to be set up, so is completely irrelevance anyway

The GUS driver is apparently designed to support both sfx and music, and the fact that you only want sfx doesn't stop it from wanting to load the GUS instrument patches. Poor design, but you can take that up with the game developers.

Lastly, I suggest you lose the attitude if you want help.

Reply 17 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fil wrote:

firstly, that is for gus music, not sound effects

secondly, ripsaw8080 himself has emphasized he is using the standard dosbox 0.74 settings, so why don't you read the entire post, not just 1 entry

Wow what's with the attitude?

Look all this is clearly documented. READ the documentation before you ask noob questions.