Common searches

Bad hardware?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Imperious wrote:

A free bit of advice, Don't ever throw any old hardware out, unless it's stuffed of course.
Dial-up modems throw out, they're the exceptions in my opinion.

Agree, but I wouldn't throw out dial-up modems, either. I keep all the external modems I've ever used (4 in total), and the last one, an USRobotics 56K, still serves me when my DSL line is down.

Reply 21 of 29, by PhaytalError

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Imperious wrote:

A free bit of advice, Don't ever throw any old hardware out, unless it's stuffed of course.
Dial-up modems throw out, they're the exceptions in my opinion.

Agreed. I always keep the good parts and toss out the garbage, and by garbage I mean PCI based "software" modems aka the dreaded Winmodem, those are useless heaps of crap. ISA hardware modems I keep though if they are 56k.

Sometimes however, i'll donate parts or sometimes whole computers to our local Goodwill Computer Works store. To those that don't know what that is, Goodwill Computer Works is a store provided by Goodwill as a retail outlet for new and used computer hardware and software at extremely discounted prices, and a donation center for new & used electronics.

DOS Gaming System: MS-DOS, AMD K6-III+ 400/ATZ@600Mhz, ASUS P5A v1.04 Motherboard, 32 MB RAM, 17" CRT monitor, Diamond Stealth 64 3000 4mb PCI, SB16 [CT1770], Roland MT-32 & Roland SC-55, 40GB Hard Drive, 3.5" Floppy Drive.

Reply 22 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Imperious wrote:

On the other hand, if you're moving or have limited storage space, eventually it is better to get rid of stuff that you're most probably never, ever going to use rather than live in a pile of computer parts.

Reply 26 of 29, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A Tualatin CPU won't work out of the box with an ASUS S370 slocket. You need either to do the pin-mod or to get a Tualatin-compatible slocket. Read previous posts.

Reply 28 of 29, by money123451

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

man i had a old 95 that died (power supply failure) i who'd use that for dos programs till 3 years ago when it died now i use it as a set its a good set 🤣 (the power supply is one made to give power to the sound card and finding a new or used power supply with the sound card power chord with the voltage was more then the pc is worth). 😵