Common searches

Reply 100 of 122, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
doaks80 wrote:
krcroft wrote:

I just tried MI2 with the above using dosbox and an external CM32L and I hear midi out of one set of speakers and sound effects out of the other. Nice work!

Edit: is there a version of this for MI1?

Thanks for confirming the link is healthy.

Passing your thanks onto NewRisingSun, the patch author.

Regarding an equivalent fix for MI1 - there was mention of it here:
Monkey Island 1&2: Roland MT-32 + Sound Blaster support

Reply 101 of 122, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
krcroft wrote:
Thanks for confirming the link is healthy. […]
Show full quote
doaks80 wrote:
krcroft wrote:

I just tried MI2 with the above using dosbox and an external CM32L and I hear midi out of one set of speakers and sound effects out of the other. Nice work!

Edit: is there a version of this for MI1?

Thanks for confirming the link is healthy.

Passing your thanks onto NewRisingSun, the patch author.

Regarding an equivalent fix for MI1 - there was mention of it here:
Monkey Island 1&2: Roland MT-32 + Sound Blaster support

Tried that with the Steam version of MI1SE and it did not work...music comes out of the Roland but no sound effects or speech 🙁

Edit: Tried the GOG version and it works! It's pretty nice too. I wonder how it works...does the GoG version somehow include the old dos version somewhere? I know the graphics could be switched back and forward but I thought that was just a feature of the Special Edition.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 102 of 122, by Burrito78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Use this link: http://web.archive.org/web/20180101205256/htt … php?f=7&t=35820

The patch for MI2 is on the first post.
Three patches for different MI1 releases are on page 2 of the thread.

Sound Blaster: From best to worst
Member of DOSBox Staging

Reply 103 of 122, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Burrito78 wrote:

Awesome thanks 😀 Although I have started playing with the ultimate talkie edition and I like it a lot.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 104 of 122, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Burrito78 wrote:

You're awesome, man.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 105 of 122, by JayAlien

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm having trouble getting this working. Running original hardware, MT-32, original floppy version (with the copy protection) with Interpreter Verson (sic) 5.2.02 (Nov 21 1991)
I applied the patch, but still no sound effects. I recently played through with SB sounds, and sound effects were there, tempted to play through with Adlib sound now to hear what I missed 😀
Any ideas on the patch?

386sx25 SBP2 2M
P75(486) SB16 8M
P133 S3 Vir DX A64g 32M
P233MMX R128Pro A64 64M
Pii400 TNT2 Live! 128M
P3-1G V5 M80 256M
P3-1.4G R8500 A1 256M
A3200 9700Pro A2 512M
X6800 X850XT A2ZS 1G
E8600 X1950XTX Xfi 2G
QX9650 3870 Xfi 2G
i7-975 GTX570 Xfi 3GB

Reply 107 of 122, by zarkon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Malik wrote:

Why the patches were removed from the original post? No explanations why they were removed either.

Copyright issues, I presume.

It's a big shame, NewRisingSun talked about trying to get the extra fm towns PCM sound effects working in MI2 (I assume like the saw in the carpenters hut). That would have been awesome.

Reply 108 of 122, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello I tried the patch for Mi1 and it worked perfectly. For Mi2 it doesn't. I don't know why - followed the instructions and copied the files into the game folder. Ran apply.bat. Then I try to start the game with "monkey2 s" and screen turns black - that's all. I have to reboot then.

Could someone please help me with this. I really would like to have Mi2 running with the patch. Don't know why it doesn't work for me...

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 109 of 122, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With support I was able to solve the problem. For everyone, who runs into the same issue: I am using a Soundblaster 16 (CT1740). There are problems with mpu-401 Interface. It can be fixed with a patch file from creative: sbmpufix - everything runs fine now.

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 110 of 122, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:

Why the patches were removed from the original post? No explanations why they were removed either.

Copyright issues, I presume.

Uh... not quite.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions. Suffice to say that the patches will live on, so I'm not really sure what this move accomplished other than portraying him in a certain light.

Reply 111 of 122, by Aragorn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know its an old thread, maybe making my own would make more sense, but it seems to fit here.

I've been setting up an old 486 and wanted to get these games working. PC has a SB16 value, and a first revision MT32. Its a AMD X5 133 chip, with 32megs of ram.

As downloaded, both monkey 1 and 2 both run fine in adlib/SB mode. So far so good.

Starting with monkey 1, it doesnt work properly in MT32 mode. It plays, but the notes are nonsense and the music doesnt make any sense. I suspect this is maybe a bad download or something?

The monkey1 patch posted above does seem to work, in that the broken music plays on the MT32 and the soundeffects do come from the sound card, but its clearly unplayable like this with the broken music.

I've tried the Monkey1 special edition, with the Ultimate Talkie Builder patch, and that works fine in adlib mode, and in roland mode you get the music and no speech, but the game gets stuck whenever its trying to say things. escaping past it seems to work ok but clearly not working properly? I suppose the talkie build isnt intended to work like that, i guess timings come from the playback of the audio clips and those dont play when in roland mode.

So moving on to monkey2, if i set it to MT32 mode, it works fine, everything plays normally and it functions as originally intended, but obviously no sound effects. So i grabbed the patch from this thread and applied it (replacing the soundblas.ims file). With that patch in place, the game starts in soundblaster mode, and it DOES emit sound on the MT32, but the whole thing is incredibly slow. So slow that i thought it had locked up on the first "lucasfilm" screen to begin with! Once i realised it was still running, i left it a while and it does slowly progress thru the intro, but its at least 10x maybe more slower than it should be running.

If i start monkey2 in either roland or adlib modes it goes back to normal.

I also tried the same sounblas.ims file with the mi1-talkie build, as an earlier post in this thread says that should also work, however again, it plays incredibly slowly.

I know ive rambled on a bit, but any ideas?

Reply 112 of 122, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aragorn wrote:
I know its an old thread, maybe making my own would make more sense, but it seems to fit here. […]
Show full quote

I know its an old thread, maybe making my own would make more sense, but it seems to fit here.

I've been setting up an old 486 and wanted to get these games working. PC has a SB16 value, and a first revision MT32. Its a AMD X5 133 chip, with 32megs of ram.

As downloaded, both monkey 1 and 2 both run fine in adlib/SB mode. So far so good.

Starting with monkey 1, it doesnt work properly in MT32 mode. It plays, but the notes are nonsense and the music doesnt make any sense. I suspect this is maybe a bad download or something?

The monkey1 patch posted above does seem to work, in that the broken music plays on the MT32 and the soundeffects do come from the sound card, but its clearly unplayable like this with the broken music.

I've tried the Monkey1 special edition, with the Ultimate Talkie Builder patch, and that works fine in adlib mode, and in roland mode you get the music and no speech, but the game gets stuck whenever its trying to say things. escaping past it seems to work ok but clearly not working properly? I suppose the talkie build isnt intended to work like that, i guess timings come from the playback of the audio clips and those dont play when in roland mode.

So moving on to monkey2, if i set it to MT32 mode, it works fine, everything plays normally and it functions as originally intended, but obviously no sound effects. So i grabbed the patch from this thread and applied it (replacing the soundblas.ims file). With that patch in place, the game starts in soundblaster mode, and it DOES emit sound on the MT32, but the whole thing is incredibly slow. So slow that i thought it had locked up on the first "lucasfilm" screen to begin with! Once i realised it was still running, i left it a while and it does slowly progress thru the intro, but its at least 10x maybe more slower than it should be running.

I also tried the same sounblas.ims file with the mi1-talkie build, as an earlier post in this thread says that should also work, however again, it plays incredibly slowly.

Given the set of problems that you're having. Let's go back to basics. It would probably be a good idea to make your own thread and then post your problem, system specs, and a description of what drivers you're using and how things are set up.

Last edited by fitzpatr on 2019-12-29, 03:19. Edited 1 time in total.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 113 of 122, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aragorn wrote:
I know its an old thread, maybe making my own would make more sense, but it seems to fit here. […]
Show full quote

Had the same problem with MI2 on my Pentium III Setup. I was fed up... So I just installed scummvm and lift-off.... No patches no nuisance

BTW: The patched mode is speed sensitive. In your case the CPU might be to powerful. In my case the problem was solved with deactivated internal cache.

Reply 114 of 122, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess it's time for another bump... so was the speed issue ever solved?

I recently played through MI1 EGA with the MT32+Adlib patch on my 386 and loved it, and now I wanted to go for MI2, but I had the same issue as Aragorn, running the game with the patch is unbelievably slow, listening to a note being played every 30 seconds in the intro is amusing at first... but playing is impossible.

running with just the MT32 works fine... but no sound effects 🙁

Reply 115 of 122, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AFAIK Problem still exists. A possible way to ensure is to contact the author of the patch ... But as I remember, he is not willing to maintain the patch or give support on that anymore.

Maybe it would be an approach if someone could tell what exactly causes the problem. Then it MAYBE would be possible to try some solutions that don't presuppose deeper programming skills. I think of things like playing around with DOS memory management or so...

Reply 116 of 122, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am running the patch on MI2 (any version) and it works just perfect to enable MT-32 and sounds, no slowdowns. I have disabled the L1 cache on my CPU to preserve the timing of MT-32 music.

The patch itself works fine with the DOS talkie version (MI1 and 2), but I lose all speech once I use the modified driver. I would like to know if it is possible to enable MT-32 + sound effects + speech on a DOS talkie version. I have given up trying to add EGA to the mix, the DOS talkie versions do not have proper EGA.