VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WarMasterXX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get a sound blaster card I found lying around (model SB0200) working on my DOS computer. I found a "driver installer" on some site, but when I tried installing the drivers, I got to a message saying "Wrong Base I/O Address or Audio Card Not Detected at XXXH". I put "XXX" because I tried all the numbers and none of them worked.

Is there a way to fix that? Do I need a special driver installer? Or will I have to buy a different sound card? I don't wanna have to do #3 unless I have no other choice...

Reply 1 of 7, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From what I can find on Google, this seems like a SB Live! card. I take it that it's a PCI card? If so, I believe it would be better to get an ISA based sound card.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 3 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Getting a SBLive working in dos rarely works without a bit of fine tuning. You can get the drivers complete with a bit of a guide from the vogons driver site here.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=52

A lot of people don't like it as it emulates a SB16 and takes up a memory, but I don't mind it on machines without ISA

Reply 4 of 7, by WarMasterXX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All right, I downloaded the drivers chinny so nicely provided, and I installed them according to the readme. When I restarted the computer, it looked like everything was gonna go smoothly, until I got the following message:
"error: PCI device detect failed. Device not found."

Now what do I do? I have the sound card plugged in, how do I get the computer to recognize it?

Reply 5 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Wikipedia wrote:

Sound Blaster Live! Dell OEM
This card, marketed as a Sound Blaster Live!, did not have the full capabilities of the retail versions of Live! It used a different audio chip, not EMU10K1 but EMU10K1X, that is noticeably smaller with fewer pins. The chip does not accelerate DirectSound in hardware, nor EAX. The sale of this board by Dell created some controversy because it was not obviously marketed as an inferior or cheaper product. The card can be identified by its part number (SB0200/0203).

Again, This is a strange SB Live! What we have found to work with a normal SB Live! may not work for this card.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure what resources the card is set at? and what they are supposed to be?
From memory mine was wrong even though I just ran the liveware 3 setup and had to modify CTSYN.INI to the correct settings.
I think I got dos sound working in Win9x, then checked what the legacy settings were in device manager, then used these settings in real dos.
You also have sbego and sbecfg which may be of some help? I haven't had toe do this for quite a while so I'm just going from memory.

As Gerwin said there is no guarantee it will work, I've only used the original SB Live Value card myself in the SB Live range.

Maybe the more basic Creative Ensoniq PCI drivers will work? Although this emulates SB Pro not SB16
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=49