VOGONS

First post, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now that my 486 is up and running, i felt it was time to install some classic games, so I got out my bigbox of Ripper.
Game installs just fine but when I start playing, I get some weird graphical bugs. The about half of the time, the whole game screen, aside from drop down UI, is squeezed into the upper 1/4 of the screen or so.
I was just wondering if anybody else has this game, and have experienced similar problems.
The graphics card I'm running it on is a Matrox Millennium with 2MB WRAM.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 1 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

IIRC, the "scrunched video" problem is related to VESA and can be resolved with a VESA driver (e.g. SciTech Display Doctor) and/or command line switches made available in a patch. Not sure if you need 1.03 in addition to 1.05, but both patches are here.

Reply 2 of 8, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My italian is a bit rusty, but from google translate it seems these patches are mainly for running the game under Windows XP?
I've downloaded SDD though, and I'll try it tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll try with my Trident 9440 graphics card.

Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 4 of 8, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aye, I decided to do just that. Had another look at them and gave them a go. Sorted the graphics issues.
I've been waiting a few years to finish this game.
Thanks 😀

Reply 6 of 8, by jamesnobles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried installing both patches and still have this issue. Is that the case with anyone else?
Running 32-bit windows , intel on-board graphics. Widescreen laptop monitor. Config file is set to original video resolution.

Reply 7 of 8, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The v1.03 patch is the one you need for VESA issues.
You also have to start the game with command line options to disable VESA 2.0.

- Added command line options to INSTALL, SETUP, and RIPPER to disable support for Vesa 2.0, disable use of protected mode ba […]
Show full quote

- Added command line options to INSTALL, SETUP, and RIPPER to disable
support for Vesa 2.0, disable use of protected mode bank switching code,
or both. Use /V1, /V2, or /V3 (respectively) to disable these features.
Example:
RIPPER /V3
This will run Ripper, disabling support for both Vesa 2.0 and protected
mode bank switching code.

You can still use the /V option to force Ripper to run in 480 line mode.

If you experience black screens or apparent lock ups, try this:
RIPPER /V /V3