VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kanade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi.

i just gat my old toshiba tecra 8100 laptop back. so i installed win98SE on it. it lagged when i play Need for speed 3 so i ahve desiced to only go whit mostly ms-dos games for it. but i have a porlvme here. when i reset into ms-dos mode. i get no sound. but the game works fine.

i can use the ms-dos prompt but then it crashes back to windows, it happend in "System Shock" i can start it up and so but i can start the game. i can do it in dos mode. so i tryd there to make a gam save it and start that way but no it did not work...

do you have any ideas on how i can get this running?

i think all my computer specc are normal and original. sadly it only has half of its memory so i only gat 128 MB in ram. its and intel 3 738 MHz cpu so i think its good. maybe abit fast but good for the later ames anyway.

thx for you help.

u can add me on skype: qvika_gilla, i ahve mutch easier to talk.

ps. i ahve not installed any updates or anything are thinking of doing that later on. useing the ENG ver of win98SE

Reply 1 of 36, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When you go to DOS Mode, the Sound Card drivers need to be installed. Do you happen to know what Sound Card is in that machine?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 36, by Kanade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok then. so i can't play those games that crashes when i start them inside of windows.... its kinda looks like i can play some games. i get DOOM running fine when sound and all useing the ms-dos prompt. but well i guess i can't run all the games that way...

Reply 6 of 36, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In Win 98 Not just doubleclick the Game.exe

Start a CommandPrompt Change to Game Directory and Start the Game.exe from there.

Maybe you Get an Error Message why Programm crashes (to less ram, no Ems, etc for example)

Then you can Change the ram settings by right clicking on the Game.exe

Reply 7 of 36, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

select restart in msdos mode
at the dos prompt type the everything on the following line
type autoexec.bat > info.txt

post contents of info.txt here

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 10 of 36, by Kanade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok. did not know.

ok i tryd that. its only crateing a info.txt file. and that file are empty. i tryd do this one more time when i ahve the file. nothingnew happend. i tryd even do it in win98 but still the some. i get an info.txt files whit nothing in it at all.

what does this mean? sorry for beening so noobish but i ahve never playd around whit MS-DOS i just wonna learn cuz its a cool stuff^^

Reply 11 of 36, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got some tutorials on my YT channel if you're interested!

This one in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsZFdFbSzdA&l … ETU-VWM7mUe52OB

It shows you each and every step. But it's quite long so you need to be a bit patient 🤣

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 36, by Kanade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i looked at the videos. and i see first of. u use win95. i have win98SE is one diff. the others are we have diff in parts and stuff. i don't really know where my drivers are hehe. never done something liek this before feel so bad. and many of the folder you are linking to do not exist for me. so think thing u ahve are not working whit my computer. and i can't go down to win95 there is no drivers for me there.

so are there any other way i can do this?

Reply 14 of 36, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Win98 has a device manager in the same place Win95 has one (right clicking "My Computer" and then "Properties"), and folders start existing when there's actual hardware detected in them. You should be able to find your soundcard and check its assigned resources within

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 36, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

sorry try this

at the dos prompt type the everything on the following lines (press the enter key at the end of every line)
cd\
type autoexec.bat > info.txt

ps: the above line you do have to type in the word type ( not autoexec.bat > info.txt but type autoexec.bat > info.txt )

Last edited by Davros on 2014-07-11, 14:27. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 16 of 36, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if info.txt is still empty try this (press enter at the end of every line)
at the dos prompt type
cd\
cls
type autoexec.bat

and write down what you see on screen and post it here

Reply 17 of 36, by Kanade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

still nothing,
i tryd both way it gat me nothing. when i try to open the info.txt file i gat "badcommand or file"
theni did the other one but i did get nothing there.

its like this autoexec.bat are a file thats are not used for anything. i get like this:

C:\type autoexec.bat (enter)

C:\

thats how i looks.

Reply 18 of 36, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's an easier way to do this.

Go to the Start menu, select Run, type SYSEDIT, and press Enter. Is there a window named AUTOEXEC.BAT? Is there anything written in it?