King's Quest IV hacking

Getting old DOS games working. (DOSBox topics belong in DOSBox areas below, not here).

Re: King's Quest IV hacking

Postby Jolaes76 » 2015-8-27 @ 08:04

It seems that having NRS's patch correctly applied on the game makes MTSBGUS.drv obligatory.
I would like to play / test it on one of my retro machines (I have all sorts of GUS cards, why not use them... DosBox always was,is and will be a last resort for me

Now I do not have any of the old rigs in reach but I could access my home NAS remotely to fetch the necessary PC and Amiga images to compile NRS's KQ4 witchcraft :)

Thanks a lot, NRS!
Even in DosBox, the game plays amazing :)
"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."
Jolaes76
Oldbie

Postby collector » 2015-8-27 @ 13:57

It has been awhile since I have looked at it. I had forgotten what driver it used. That is a combined driver for MT-32 music and the Amiga sounds.
collector
l33t

Postby NewRisingSun » 2015-8-27 @ 18:37

Jolaes76: I am not quite sure what you were trying to do before. Just use a GUS with nothing else?
NewRisingSun
Oldbie

Postby Jolaes76 » 2015-8-27 @ 18:44

No, something even more silly... I tried to launch the game in DosBox (latest Daum version) where GUS emulation is disabled by default, but can be also turned on via a menu switch (besides editing the conf file) and I thought that the game starts up so slowly, I would have enough time to turn GUS emulation on... Obviously this is not the case. :)
"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."
Jolaes76
Oldbie

Postby ocdmonkey » 2015-12-13 @ 19:39

Looks like a really cool patch, glad I ran into it. Only thing that bugs me is that I'd like it if it were possible to change the music device. I'm rather partial to SoundBlaster/adlib myself because that's what I grew up with, and especially the intro music is rather jarring using GUS.
ocdmonkey

Postby NewRisingSun » 2015-12-13 @ 21:13

There's no intro music coming from the GUS.
NewRisingSun
Oldbie

Postby collector » 2015-12-13 @ 22:13

Perhaps he is not using Munt or an MT-32 unit with the Roland sound.
collector
l33t

Postby Myloch » 2016-4-23 @ 22:15

woah! Newrisingsun made really cool patches, like the one for silpheed or alley cat.

Is there a youtube sample out there for patched kq4 game? It would be cool to see it before installing it.
"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"
Myloch

Postby NewRisingSun » 2016-4-23 @ 22:54

NewRisingSun
Oldbie

Postby lukeman3000 » 2017-1-04 @ 06:08

With the help of Collector's installer, I finally got Ultimate KQ4 up and running. Having the ambient sound effects is awesome.

I am curious as to why the earlier version's backgrounds are preferred over the later versions. When I look at comparisons, I find myself preferring the later version backgrounds, as seen on the right below:

For example, the Witchers' Cave seems much more detailed in version 1.006.004. Additionally, I really like the shading of the later version -- the shadows on the ground, the rocks, and the overall color palette is more pleasing while the earlier version looks somewhat "washed out" and "flat". I think I may also get a greater sense of depth with the later version.

At the same time, the later version seems to be missing some trees in the background and they seem a bit less detailed, but still, I find myself learning towards version 1.006.004 graphics.

Of course this stuff is very subjective and this is all just my opinion. If I wanted to play the ultimate version but with the 1.006.004 graphics, is there a way I can do this? I assume there might be a tool I can download to unpack background image files and perhaps swap the ones from the 1.006.004 version, or is it not that simple?
lukeman3000

Postby NewRisingSun » 2017-1-05 @ 16:03

I have had this issue before (in particular, about my Realms of Arkania 1 patch), and have decided against offering "à la carte" patches with optional features. But since my original distribution in the first post of this thread basically has the source code in the form of a batch file, you can always modify it yourself and decide for each and every picture whether you want the later look from the Amiga version, which matches PC version 1.006.004, or the look from the early PC versions.

As for the question which version's pictures have more detail, the fact that the early versions required nine 360K floppy disks while the later versions fit on eight, even though the LZW file compression scheme is identical, and nothing else was removed, gives you a quantitative indication of which version has more detail. I agree that the Skull Cave exterior looks more detailed in the later version, but that one picture seems to be the exception to the rule. The fact that the later version no longer has different night pictures, just day pictures with a twinkly sky, makes the whole game look like an outdoor night party to me.
NewRisingSun
Oldbie

Postby almeath » 2017-4-17 @ 12:12

This is an absolutely brilliant patch. :) I was obsessed with this game as a kid and so it is great to see it enhanced and arguably perfected.

Just a minor question about the ambient sound effects .. I noticed that the ocean and wind sounds occur all along the beach front scenes, but not outside the fisherman's cabin, even though it's right next to the beach too. Arguably you don't need it at Genesta's Island, as the ocean appears very calm there - perhaps it's her magic protecting the island.

Anyway, is there a way to enable the ambient sounds just for that one background outside the Fisherman's cabin? I do not know much about editing batch or exe files and would not know where to start.
almeath

Previous

Return to DOS