VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HI! greetings

I get random hangs in MK2, if i use roland + SB. The game works ok, but at any time crash. Maybe in the intro, or second fight, or in selection screen.... totally random

I have a SB Awe64 and a Roland SC-88

If i use SB or AWE32, no hangs, everything works perfect

Any ideas guys?

Reply 1 of 7, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, the usual goes, but what are the specs of your computer? I can say from experience, however, that the "Roland" option actually is one of the few instances where you need a Roland CM-32L or CM-64. Most of the time for the older games, the "Roland" option is for the MT-32 (and not all MT-32 games would work with a Sound Canvas, due to patch programming). Some, however as mentioned, used the two CM modules which had extra sound effects.

Back on topic, can you post the specs of the machine you're running it on as well as your config.sys and autoexec.bat files? I'm not AS knowledgeable or experienced as some in here, but for helping someone enjoy such a great arcade port I wanna do what I can.

Reply 2 of 7, by NeoVamp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
theelf wrote:

I have a SB Awe64 and a Roland SC-88

I have a SB Awe32 and MT-32 and it also crashes here, works for a little bit but then BAM!

Pentium 1 - 233MHZ MMX / 96MB / Soundblaster AWE32 / MT-32 / SC-55 / SB-55
Diamond Stealth 64 / Diamond Monster 3D (4MB) / Dos 7.1 / 120GB IDE HDD

Reply 3 of 7, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guys, again I need stufd like your system specs, DOS/Windows versions, config.sys, and autoexec.bat files to figure anything out. Many of the more experienced people in this forum will tell you the same.

Reply 4 of 7, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MK2 has support for Roland SCC1 + SB in the options. I tried DOS 6.22 and DOS 7.1. This game is using XMS 8MB memory, so first I thought it might be conflict with EMM386, similar to Carmageddon and games that use their own memory manager, but that did not help. Config files has only himem.sys and autoexec.bat has only unisound and aweutil /s for initialization and setting reverb/chorus on AWE64. The cpu is AMD K6-2+ and I tried changing speed from 450mhz to 200mhz and/or disabling cache, which allows you to play cpu sensitive 386 and 486 games. I read that SC-55 is compatible with SCC1, so that should not be a problem. In menu there is also LAPC option and I can boot SC55 into MT32 emulation mode.

I have been able to fix all games: Chaos Engine, Lotus, Ducktales, CdMan2, One Must Fall 2097. They work with SC55 using either General Midi or MT32. This Mortal Kombat 2 is the only title with hangs and freeze issues. I hope I have provided more relevant information now.

Reply 5 of 7, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From my (limited) experience, MK2 hangs on an AWE64 + SC-55 if DMA is set to 5. Setting the DMA to 1 solved the issue for me. Apparently, MK2 doesn't like High DMA when a Sound Canvas is connected.

For reference, I'm talking about the values on the MK2 setup screen which is accessed by pressing F10 at game start.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 7, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it seems something with DMA. I came back here to post about it. I tried various irq/dma configrations. In bios these are reserved for ISA slot. In game options, when I pick some invalid dma, only midi music will play and it will not hang.

I change SET BLASTER environment variable and verify the dma and irq set by dos driver. But even this settings is changing and then I change it in game options, sound play only if DMA is set to 1. No matter how soundcard is configured. I try low dma and high dma to put both at 5 or put l=3,h=5. Sound card gets configured, but game dont play any sound. It works only with dma=1. I tried the original cdrom version as well as floppy version. In features embedded dos4gw in mk2.exe, so it cannot be replaced by dos32a as in mk1.