VOGONS

Common searches

Versions of Mortal Kombat (1) (DOS port)

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 88, by Tenka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I timed as you said and the GOG Dos port indeed came to 55 seconds on the dot for the total round time. I dont have access to any other versions, so I proceeded out of curiousity to check the Rev 3.0 Arcade I had been running. Guess what? ... 60, exactly.

Edit: Also in case anyones interested, 5.0 and 4.0 also came to 60 seconds in the round as well.

So it seems like the Floppy version is as fast as the legit arcade, but the CD version is in fact faster!

I'll need to talk it over with the guys to see if this is evidence enough to proceed, but if you compared the CD to the other Dos ports and the CD version is faster than all others, then I think its safe to say that the dosbox emulation is running at the appropriate speed. The CD version of Dos MK is just faster than the actual arcade!

Well I hope that fact was a fun contribution. Thanks so much for your help, I'll come back here if we need any further investigation.

Reply 82 of 88, by Tenka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmojo wrote:

Very interesting thanks Tenka! Please post a link to your DOS speed run once complete.

Hey! Sorry I missed your response.

I wound up acquiring and running 3 of the different versions (CD, Virgin, and Ultratech v2) .. We decided to create separate subcategories for each, since the differences in speed would make it unfair to run them in the same category.

Here are the links to the 3 Runs:

Ultratech (9:31)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mNZ0w4yx2c&t=177s

Virgin (9:47)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4anSWmDQ7Ag&t=162s

CD (9:18)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AesVD2S9azQ&t=308s

I can certainly do much better than this in all 3 (on Arcade I have a time of 8:20), but since the category is pretty uncontested I settled for those times for now. Maybe give someone else a chance to enter the competition 😜.

Reply 83 of 88, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome! I've long considered myself pretty good at MK but as always I have a lot to learn 🤣 For example the jump punch - I don't use these nearly enough apparently!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 84 of 88, by Tenka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmojo wrote:

Awesome! I've long considered myself pretty good at MK but as always I have a lot to learn 🤣 For example the jump punch - I don't use these nearly enough apparently!

The jump punch strat only works with Johnny Cage (and I think Rayden, but I havent really investigated yet). Something about the hit-box's for the Jump Punch animation actually causes them to interrupt the "cheat neutral jump kick" that the AI does as opposed to being cancelled by it. If you attempted the same thing with Scorpion/Sub Zero/ Sonya/ Lui Kang etc .. you cant get through and you just get eaten.

Reply 86 of 88, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I noticed the roland.drv file has MT-32 Sysex commands when viewed in a hex editor. I couldn't find the MIDI files, however. Has anyone had any luck extracting the MIDI files?

ROLAND.DRV MT-32 Sysex

F0 41 10 16 12 (351 occurences)

Patch Temp
F0 41 10 16 12 03 (93 occurences)

Patch Memory
F0 41 10 16 12 05 (128 occurences)

Timbre Memory
F0 41 10 16 12 08 (128 occurences)

System
F0 41 10 16 12 10 (2 occurences)

Win10 - AMD Ryzen 9 3900 - 16 GB - GeForce RTX 2060S - Sound BlasterX AE5-Plus
Win98SE - ASRock 775i65G R3.0 - Celeron 2.2 GHz - 2 GB - GeForce FX5700 - Audigy 2 ZS
Win98SE - Via Apollo Pro Mobo - Pentium II 233 - 256 MB - Voodoo 3 1000 - Yamaha YMF724

Reply 87 of 88, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found Reverse engineering Mortal Kombat GRA file format (part 1) and Reverse engineering Mortal Kombat GRA file format (part 2) which discusses the GRA graphics files from MK1, which the author has reverse engineered. The author released a viewer tool several months ago on Github here rewolf-mortal-kombat-viewer

I own both the Ultratech and GOG MK1 game, and I do see binary differences between several GRA files with a diff tool.

I will try rewolf-mortal-kombat-viewer over the weekend to see if I can spot some graphical differences between the releases.

A separate tool has been released by a different author which focuses on de-compiling the CD version of MK1 as well as other MS-DOS games that were built by Watcom.

Watcom Decompilation Tool (wcdctool)

Win98SE - ASRock 775i65G R3.0 - Celeron 2.2 GHz - 2 GB - GeForce FX5700 - Audigy 2 ZS
Win98SE - Via Apollo Pro Mobo - Pentium II 233 - 256 MB - Voodoo 3 1000 - Yamaha YMF724

Reply 88 of 88, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found that Lemmings 2 accepts the Mortal Kombat 1 UltraTech/GOG Adlib and Roland drivers, as long as the drivers have their file extension renamed to BIN.

In the Lemmings 2 music folder, just remove the old adlib.bin and roland.bin and copy over adlib.drv and roland.drv and rename the file ext. I also disabled sfx in setup.

In L2, the MK1 Adlib music tempo is sped up, whereas the MK1 Roland music tempo is correct.

I didn't play too much yet but it seems like all the levels in each world will play the same song, so these are the worlds that have their own tune (iow play the 1st level of each world):

Beach
Outdoor
Egyptian
Medieval
Classic
Circus
Highland
Polar
Cavelems
Shadow