VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 37, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should look up this interview with Jehung Hwang, he mentions some Roland synthesizer with a "Orchestral" addon card installed on it.

I forgot what it was really called though...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 21 of 37, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

US Navy Fighters is a CD game that supports General MIDI

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 22 of 37, by Davis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Mech2's midi had valid reasons though. Constant disc access (for the 2d frontend animations and minimum installations) and Redbook streaming isn't something very mixable.

Does anyone know what Mech2 was composed/synthesized with?

Was looking for the same thing... Turns out "Roland JV1080 with the Orchestral and World expansion cards".

Source: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov98/articles/jeehun.htm

Reply 23 of 37, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I found it too. He demoed to the Activision execs with some tracks he made on his Korg keyboard. Amazing!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24 of 37, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Two more that haven't been mentioned:
Anvil of Dawn
Gabriel Knight CD

Reply 26 of 37, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just bought Albion (1996 sci fi RPG) that plays almost entirely from CD but supports all kinds of music options:
Tandy 3-voice, MT-32, General MIDI, ESS, Adlib, Adlib Gold, PAS, GUS, AWE-32, DB50-XG and of course SB Pro/16. In fact, CD Audio is NOT an option. 🤣.

Reply 28 of 37, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Marek wrote:

Sam and Max hit the Road: The CD has some audio tracks, but the game is still midi, and the sampled song is merely of 8 bit mono quality.

Yup, as you said, the talkie version of Sam&Max Hit the Road kept its MIDI music.
And if you copied the disk's content to HDD, it was also possible to run it without CD-ROM.
Another nice feature was the lack of the copy-pro.. I mean, it sadly hadn't that awesome mini game the floppy version had.
Oh, and the CD version also had a few audio tracks with a special sort of.. uhm.. country music. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 29 of 37, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

I mean, it sadly hadn't that awesome mini game the floppy version had.

You can buy that dress up game from one of the Snuckey's. 😉

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64

Reply 34 of 37, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Wohlstand wrote:
RoyBatty wrote:

Blood (midi is better than the CDDA)

Agree, MIDI are sounds are beautiful, but CD music on same game is really spooky...

Hmm. I like CD music more.

chinny22 wrote:

Maybe Warcraft? Warcraft 2 definitely had both though

War2 for DOS has MIDI music. War2 for Windows has the same tracks rendered as mp3 or similar.

Reply 35 of 37, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not clear form the title, does it have to have both audio tracks & midi or be originally released on CD?
If not, then the CD release (the floppy as well of course) of Rise of the Triad has midi option for music.

Reply 37 of 37, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Azarien wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

Maybe Warcraft? Warcraft 2 definitely had both though

War2 for DOS has MIDI music. War2 for Windows has the same tracks rendered as mp3 or similar.

Yeh talking about the DOS version, which had both CD and MIDI music.

konc wrote:

It's not clear form the title, does it have to have both audio tracks & midi or be originally released on CD?
If not, then the CD release (the floppy as well of course) of Rise of the Triad has midi option for music.

Pretty sure its games that have both CD and Midi music, I guess to compare the 2 different styles