VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello guys, I have an IBM Thinkpad A20M with 256mb of memory and a 600mhz P3 cpu but certain DOS games like Arena are not running right and are complaining about not having enough EMS which is weird since I don't think I've ever had this problem before. So my question is: How do I check that EMS is setup correctly and is this related to having more than 64mb of mem installed? I had issues once before on a machine with over a gig of mem installed and running Windows 98SE but I don't remember what the deal was, I do remember reducing the RAM but in this case that's feasible since I don't have any other PC-100 RAM.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2 of 17, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well you're running Windows 98. Are you re-starting into MS-DOS mode, or do you just run DOS from within Windows?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 17, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Put the following statements in your Config.sys file (if there isn't one just create one in your root folder):
Device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:off
Device=c:\windows\emm386.exe ram d=64 min=0
Dos=high,umb

These are just the parameters that I've used over the years, but there are other parameters that you can use with each statement.
I like to always put everything in uppercase, but that is just personal preference.

If this doesn't work, then something else is wrong. Also try booting into MS-DOS mode as Phil has suggested.

Reply 5 of 17, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:

this should do the job, but I never used "d=64 min=0" I only use "emm386.exe ram"

Min=0 specifies how much VCPI memory is available. However, my DOS software doesn't require VCPI, so I always make it zero (VCPI was supplanted by DPMI).
D=64 specifies how much memory (in kilobytes) should be reserved for DMA access. Some games that I've played in the past suggested this setting, so I've always used it.

Here's a link to all the parameters that can be used: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722864.aspx

Reply 6 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm now it says not enough EMS. 😒

Does this in both DOS mode and Windows.

(Just noticed on restart that it says EMS not installed unable to set paging frame address) My config.sys only contains what you told me to put in it though so there shouldn't be anything blocking it.

Reply 7 of 17, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:

Hmm now it says not enough EMS. 😒

Does this in both DOS mode and Windows.

I'm never keen diagnosing Windows 98 / DOS issues because it can get quite confusing.

What you don't want to do, is edit the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT that Windows uses. So if you are in Windows, and edit these files from Windows, you should not be doing that. If you have, delete all these entries.

You want to edit separate CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT that MS-DOS mode.

But because this is a bit of work you can try this.

Go to into the Windows folder and look for two shortcuts

- MS-DOS Mode for Games with EMS and XMS support

Run that and see if the game works.

Reply 8 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even after deleting the config.sys entries and restarting with that shortcut you listed it still says EMS not installed.

Reply 9 of 17, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After the above post, I decided to post a small little guide on how to set up a multiple boot up configuration under Windows 9x (something I've been meaning to do for a while now): How to create a boot (start up) menu under Windows 9x/ME
Most of what you need is in the attached document, but I've also copied in my own (simplified) versions of what the start up files should look like.

If you have some time and patience, then you can try this route and not have to struggle to run your DOS games from within Windows.

Reply 10 of 17, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, I've done something similar.

Video tutorial and files to download and copy paste.

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/ms-dos-mode-tutorials.html

Reply 11 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Meh I'd rather not boot into DOS first and I certainly don't want all these menu items and whatnot, from what I'm seeing from both of your tutorials is that it SHOULD be working.

Reply 13 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's odd that I don't have this issue with my Pentium computers, I bet it's RAM size related.

Reply 14 of 17, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you do not want to boot into DOS first, then you can "adapt" the start up menus by only listing the items under the [COMMON] section of the Config.sys file.
The relevant items in the Autoexec.bat file (like your mouse driver, CD-ROM driver, etc.) you can specify in your Dosstart.bat file.

Please note that, in some cases, you will be forced to boot into real mode DOS, since some DOS games don't run well within a Windows command (DOS) prompt.
Regarding the issue of RAM. There are some games that don't run well with more than a certain amount of RAM installed (I can recall that Ultima VIII, for example, didn't want to run with more than 128 MB of onboard RAM installed).
On the other hand, do you have enough conventional memory available when trying to run this game? Refer attached topic, which I found and might help to resolve your problems: Elder Scrolls: Arena help me please!

Reply 15 of 17, by raminmahzad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi I have This problem To On Pentium 4 system
CPU = Celeron 2.42 GHZ
RAM = 1024MB DDR1
GPU = Nvidia Gforce FX5500 (256Mb)
HDD = IDE Maxtore 60 GB
Audio Card = Realtek ac97

I have 3 derive with size 20 GB Formated as Fat32
C:\ is Primary and an extended partition with no Alphabet and two logical derive D & E
I have Windows98Se on C:\ | Windows2000 On D:\ | Windows Xp On E:\

after five year using of this system now i have some problems after changing bios battery (it works correctly before)

I got this error when running windows98 :
EMM386 not installed - unable to set page frame base address .

Press any key when ready...
Emm386 successfully installed.

Extended memory services is unavailable.
Total upper memory available . . . . . . . . . 50 KB
Largest Upper Memory Block available . . 26 KB
Upper memory starting address . . . . . . . D800 H

EMM386 Active.

and with changing config.sys and use noems or Replace all devicehigh With device I can run the windows but with error and i dont like use no ems I cant run msdos games
If i but with command prompt only i got this error two and all of dos programs run very late and slow or even can not run

Also i have problem with windows XP and 2000 too
In normal boot i cant boot them , but in safe mode i set booting stop at Line
in windows 2000 :
multi(0)disk(10)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT\System32|Drivers\NDIS.SYS
multi(0)disk(10)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT\System32|Drivers\MUP.SYS (Stop at this line)
In windows Xp :
multi(0)disk(10)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT\System32|Drivers\NDIS.SYS
multi(0)disk(10)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT\System32|Drivers\MUP.SYS
multi(0)disk(10)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT\System32|Drivers\agp440.SYS (stop at this line)

Please help me all of this problem happens after replacing bios Battery Befor it every thing working correctly

i try these code for config.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE X=A000-FFFF ( Windows boot with that error)
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE ( Windows boot with that error)
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE Ram Auto ( Windows boot with that error)
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE Ram D=64 Min=0 ( Windows boot with that error)
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE D=64 Min=0 ( Windows boot with that error)
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE noems (That error is gone but ms-dos will more slower and any ms dos software cant work , windows boot very late but with no error
an when i use MS-Dos Mode for Game with Ems and Xms support I got that error again and i can't run Ms dos Games and software in that mode)
when i use Dos=high,umb in config.sys windows cant boot at all
Whene i use Devicehigh instead of device also windows cant boot at all

I think my ems or xms memory is corrupt and when i use theme i have error but i don't know where they are on my mother board how can i replace them ?

Reply 16 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Phew! You've got a lot of RAM in there. In Win9x, isn't a patch required for 512MiB onwards ?

EMM386 not installed - unable to set page frame base address .

Which means there's no 64KiB block free in the area between 640kiB-1MiB (upper memory area).

The "page frame base address" is the starting point of the EMS window (usually 64KiB in size).
The reason for this can be on-board devices (USB etc) which use that region for their purpose.
You can try to enable all these "shadow memory" option in BIOS setup and see if that helps.

If absoluetly nothing helps, you can also try EMSMagic instead.
https://www.emsmagic.com/

Edit: Just saw this thread is from 2016. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 17 of 17, by raminmahzad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2020-03-04, 11:31:
Phew! You've got a lot of RAM in there. In Win9x, isn't a patch required for 512MiB onwards ? The "page frame base address" is t […]
Show full quote

Phew! You've got a lot of RAM in there. In Win9x, isn't a patch required for 512MiB onwards ?
The "page frame base address" is the starting point of the EMS window (usually 64KiB in size).
The reason for this can be on-board devices (USB etc) which use that region for their purpose.
You can try to enable all these "shadow memory" option in BIOS setup and see if that helps.

Thank you after editing bios like in the following picture the error is gone and i can open many ms dos softwares

lYBtefe
https://imgur.com/lYBtefe

But now i have an other problem

when I run DN or NC or other file manager it take 4 minute to open

Some of games send an error like this

XMS Allocation Error ...

(I use MS Dos Gaming ems and xms support mode)
clDPbIa
https://imgur.com/clDPbIa

Memory testing of Microsoft MSD on my computer

7fcfT8Z
https://imgur.com/7fcfT8Z
iv5Qr2z
https://imgur.com/iv5Qr2z