VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 80 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added 1942: The Pacific Air War. On sale on Steam right now for $1.74. This is one of the few DOS games available on Steam but not GOG.

Easy DOSBox config, just copy the PACIFIC folder to your DOS PC and it's a full install--about 18MB.

edit: added the Realms of Arkania Trilogy, bought from Steam. First two are straight copy to DOS, the 3rd is a BIN/CUE image that's a full install CD. All three are easy with no missing features.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 81 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added Stonekeep to the database. This one is super easy. In the GOG/Stonekeep folder is a folder called CD. Inside this folder are all the files and folders of the installation CD. Just burn them as-is to a CD and you have an install disc. No ISOs, BIN/CUEs or needing to make sure the CD is named a certain thing. 😉

Reply 82 of 164, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if something has changed, but the disc image for Blood does not contain the install.exe file. It's the One Unit Whole version, so not sure if that makes any difference?

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 83 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
senrew wrote:

Not sure if something has changed, but the disc image for Blood does not contain the install.exe file. It's the One Unit Whole version, so not sure if that makes any difference?

I think I'm the one who put this into the sheet, and it's the GOG version (One Unit). I'll have a look when I get a chance.

Reply 84 of 164, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
senrew wrote:

I think I'm the one who put this into the sheet, and it's the GOG version (One Unit). I'll have a look when I get a chance.

Thanks. Been going through all 385 or so games I have in GoG and installing everything to see what has a DOS version. Been keeping track of install methods for the games not on the list already so I'll be uploading a good chunk of new game info soon...hopefully....soon.

Reply 85 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, it appears I am in error, senrew. I just went through the process again and confirmed your observation that the install.exe is missing. The only thing I can think of is I was going through a bunch of games in the same evening, and got the details mixed up. I did confirm the game does play fine without CD Audio if you just copy the files over. I also tested editing the BLOOD.INI file and changing the various paths to point to the CD drive letter. I WAS able to get the cutscenes working with this method, but not the CD Audio. The good news is FM and GM are still options.

I'm guessing you need the install.exe in order to get proper CD Audio music set up properly.

EDIT: I think I may have mixed up Blood and Shadow Warrior. Anyhow, I changed the sheet to reflect Blood more accurately.

Reply 86 of 164, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see someone has been updating the list 😀

Just a quick note, I haven't been testing these on an actual DOS machine, just been using DOSBox to verify installation, quick run, sound options, etc. Because of this, I can't really check on the memory configs.

Reply 87 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
senrew wrote:

I see someone has been updating the list 😀

Just a quick note, I haven't been testing these on an actual DOS machine, just been using DOSBox to verify installation, quick run, sound options, etc. Because of this, I can't really check on the memory configs.

Yep, that was me updating. 😀

The weird thing is, I do test all the games in real DOS. So I'm puzzled and embarrassed that I input wrong info on this game. I really do think that maybe I mixed up Blood and Shadow Warrior, like did a mash-up of their details or something. Who knows, but thanks for finding the error so it could be corrected.

Reply 88 of 164, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Meh, shit happens. Plus, the two games' files are pretty close looking so it's understandable.

Reply 89 of 164, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found another 😀

Capitalism Plus mounts a disc image. Not a full install disc though.

Reply 90 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
senrew wrote:

Found another 😀

Capitalism Plus mounts a disc image. Not a full install disc though.

I didn't input that one. 😉 I'd say you are free to edit the entry to correct it. Just add a note to the field describing the change you made and why.

Reply 91 of 164, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Conquest of the New World mounts a disc too...

Oh, I'll be adding entries. Just want to make sure I have a good batch to enter when I do. I have 4 pages of games on GOG and it's taking awhile to check the all out 😀

EDIT:

Here's a little preview of what I've been working on. Fixed the sound config issue with Dark Queen of Krynn:

Trick was, the install.exe program is HARDCODED to find that config file in a folder on the C: drive named DISK1....

I copied the whole damn folder from the game directory to the c: drive root and ran the installer. It was able to modify the file. I then copied it back to the original location and had GLORIOUS MT-32 music coming through my headphones 😀

Reply 92 of 164, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've noticed something very disturbing while going through some of these games. There are specific titles that used to include the full install disc in an image that are now split up into music-only image + folders.

I have a copy of the image from Shattered Steel in a folder from years ago when I first looked at working on this project, but the installer for the game I downloaded today is the split version. Has anyone run into this as well?

Reply 93 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
senrew wrote:

I've noticed something very disturbing while going through some of these games. There are specific titles that used to include the full install disc in an image that are now split up into music-only image + folders.

I have a copy of the image from Shattered Steel in a folder from years ago when I first looked at working on this project, but the installer for the game I downloaded today is the split version. Has anyone run into this as well?

I can't say I've noticed this, but I've only been collecting GOG and Steam games for the past year or so, so whatever changes you are noticing are likely after the time I've started buying these games.

Reply 94 of 164, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
senrew wrote:

OUWB doesn't install under DOS correctly with the install.exe anyways, so it doesn't matter.

Reply 95 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added Bioforge. Inside the GOG Bioforge folder is another folder named Bioforge. This folder just needs to be copied to your DOS machine. Then edit INSTALL.OPT and update all the paths to match where you placed the game in your machine. Tested it on my P200MMX system and it works great. GM music is really nice.

Edit: Added Terminal Velocity from GOG.

Edit: Added Crusader: No Remorse from GOG. Straightforward burn the ISO for a full installation CD.

Reply 96 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added Crusader: No Regret. I was hoping to be able to make a full installation CD, but the included ISO just has media files, so you have to copy the files over to your DOS machine AND have the partial CD in the drive, as well as edit CRUSADER.CFG to change the CD drive letter path. One interesting thing about this game is it requires a couple of DLL files (ASYLUM.DLL and XANDRV32.DLL) in order to work. I didn't think DLL files were ever required in native DOS games. Learn something new every day.

Reply 98 of 164, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Added Epic Pinball: The Complete Collection and Jazz Jackrabbit Collection, available at GOG as of 11/30.

A couple of notes about Jazz Jackrabbit. Holiday Hare 95 is included, but the GUS sound driver is missing. Open the Jazz Jackrabbit folder and copy MDRV003D.MUS to the HH95 folder; GUS selection and config will now be restored and working. Also, the Collection has the Borland Runtime Error 200 bug (GOG did not bother patching it); just go to this site and follow the instructions:

https://www.jazz2online.com/articles/view.php?articleID=17

Jazz should now work on fast computers. Enjoy 😀

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 99 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Aren't DLL files used for most DOS Glide titles?

I didn't know that either. But it appears these two DLLs in REGRET are Origin-created audio and video library files:
http://www.echosector.com/forum/archive/index … read-120-4.html