VOGONS

Need to Run old dos based program

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by stallion316

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello , i have an old dos based exe software installed in my uncle's pc which has xp, the problem it has copy protection so i am not able to move it to a different drive or pc, if i do that the exe wont open. So i completely created image of the partition that had the software.

After that when i open the exe using dosbox i get the the error "this program is copy protected use install to copy it" So i thought there might be problem in image file, so i installed dosbox in my old xp to see if it it works? but i got the same error as above..But it runs when i open it with inbuilt cmd

Can the copy protection be removed ? if not can i some how run it via DOsBOX..

Any help or guidance would be appreciated. I need that software for my college work..

Here is the software link

https://easyupload.io/tmwf5x

Reply 1 of 5, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Running it in DOSBOX vs natively using the DOS interpreter in XP are two completely different things. If you don't have the means to install this software again, my recommendation would be to create an image of this computer and then run it in a VM. A quick Google search for "P2V" (Physical to Virtual) reveals many useful articles, that's where I'd start looking into.

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE