VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi fellas,

so recently i took interest into trying to run King's Quest 1 VGA remake on DOS. I knew from years ago that there was a VGA remake for DOS, but didn't care for years. I now decided to check it out. So basically, all AGS games that use AGS engine up to 2.62 can indeed run in DOS. So i looked for remakes that could run on DOS and found King's Quest 1 (version 2.0) and King's Quest 2 (version 2.0). Both these versions use AGS versions below 2.62 so they run on DOS. I would recommend at least minimum a Pentium 200 Mhz CPU and 32MB of RAM, and the games will run acceptably. My K6-3+ at 400 MHz actually runs them quite well. Unfortunately King's Quest 2 just seems to suffer from speech cutoff, it seems the game does not allow the whole speech to finish so it cuts off and goes to the next character.

Unfortunately the earliest King's Quest 3 and Quest for Glory 2 releases i found already used AGS versions 2.71, so unfortunately playing them in DOS is not an option. I wonder if these could be eventually recompiled for the 2.62 engine version.

OK, i'm aware that these games mainly targeted Windows, but i think its really cool to run them on DOS. Anyone with a similar experience to mine? Anyone tried to run these games on real DOS machines? Let me know of your experience!

Reply 3 of 5, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, i tried the HX Extenders, but no luck. Only way would be to recompile the games on AGS version 2.62, which was the last version to support DOS.

A shame since King's Quest 3, Quest for Glory 2 and Space Quest 2 look amazing.

Reply 4 of 5, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, i wouldn't recommend that because AGS has come a long way on bug fixes and speed (opengl renderer) and linux portability.

But on the other hand it still has a major incompatibility with the opengl renderer and some old games using a bad idea from older times (some few objects in some have broken z-depth).

The games that were using LUA or 'private' pascal extensions are broken forever though (fortunately marginal).

Since i gave up on the few games that have broken plugins/extensions there are very few problems with the engine that the devs haven't addressed quickly.

1 is the allegro MIDI synthesizer, which is needed if you don't have a MIDI deamon running (as i never will, waste of cpu). This synthesizer is broken by design because it requires the soundbanks to be on $HOME, instead of the game dir or something.
The other is that z-order problem, which is rare and can be avoided with the software renderer (which is slow on weak computers though).

In fact the major 'modern' issue the engine has is that unity is eating its 2d pixel adventure lunch (not much to do with that) and that one particular studio (Raw Fury, the makers of Kathy Rain and Whispers of a Machine) seems determined to fork and break stuff with hacks to get things 'working' instead of collaborating upstream when they need a feature.

Reply 5 of 5, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Compiling for 2.62 indeed wouldn't be a realistic option. Many of the functions have changed or been deprecated and replaced by better functions that work entirely differently. The entire game would have to be largely rescripted. Newer games use plugins that I don't think would work in DOS either.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.