VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by zapblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have an action replay for dos, and I'm using real hardware on dos 5 and original software.

I'm assuming someone can figure out a code without an action replay or anything else?

The following games I want:

Thexder:

-Infinite Continues
-Stage Select

Mondo's Fight Palace:

-Full selection of players
-Infinite Lives

Slipheed

- Infinite Continues
- Stage Select

Airborne Ranger:

- Infinite Continues
- Stage Select

Reply 2 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do a search for Game Wizard 32.

That is a DOS game cheating program. It allows you to edit values in memory so you can change live, stage select, ammo, whatever.

You can also save those mods to files so you don't have to search for the correct values to change the next time you run the game.

Might want to also try Infinity Machine.

I think there are a few others as well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 17, by zapblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi thanks, however I'm using a real dos on real old hardware and software I'm kinda strict about that and don't do emulation, pro action replay can do this but it's hard to find. Is it possible if you can attempt this get the codes? I think games may be downloaded.

Reply 4 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those aren't emulation. They are TSRs that runs in DOS. Then you run the game. Then to get to the cheat program, you hit a key combination and it brings up the screen for the cheat program and you can mess around with whatever you want.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 17, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I second Game Wizard 32. Used it quite successfully for a couple of games that had no built-in cheat codes (a long time ago).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 17, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2020-03-05, 06:58:

I second Game Wizard 32. Used it quite successfully for a couple of games that had no built-in cheat codes (a long time ago).

Not to mention that, in some cases, you can save a "snapshot" of your game and continue playing at that point.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 7 of 17, by zapblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-03-04, 23:13:

Those aren't emulation. They are TSRs that runs in DOS. Then you run the game. Then to get to the cheat program, you hit a key combination and it brings up the screen for the cheat program and you can mess around with whatever you want.

I would need the original disks. Is it possibly you or someone can provide the codes just for those games for now, I'm guessing it is fairly simple and easy and you could just post them here. Just until I can purchase that software, do it myself of other games in the future as I cant find it or pro action replay dos on ebay. I'm also attempting to practice and finish a ton of early dos games and you know how cryptic those games can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usaioMbE8EQ

If someone original software of sell of this kind let me know.

Reply 8 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zapblast wrote on 2020-03-05, 10:22:

I would need the original disks.

If you want to track it down, it's from a company named REM Software, if that helps. Some people also suggest "Fix People Expert". See for instance cheating in pure dos or with emulators .

Is it possibly you or someone can provide the codes just for those games for now, I'm guessing it is fairly simple and easy and you could just post them here.

The codes are completely meaningless out of context. I found one list of codes for Infinity Machine and it's all things like

NIGHT SHIFT - [ Lucasarts ]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
TIME: (DS 31) 1EA29

Finding new codes works almost exactly like LGR demonstrates; the only difference is there's no extra hardware for Infinity Machine.

I'm also attempting to practice and finish a ton of early dos games and you know how cryptic those games can be.

I think it's strange that you would strive for authenticity and original disks and so on and then use a cheat program. But there are many things I don't understand.

Reply 9 of 17, by zapblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-03-05, 14:22:
If you want to track it down, it's from a company named REM Software, if that helps. Some people also suggest "Fix People Exper […]
Show full quote
zapblast wrote on 2020-03-05, 10:22:

I would need the original disks.

If you want to track it down, it's from a company named REM Software, if that helps. Some people also suggest "Fix People Expert". See for instance cheating in pure dos or with emulators .

Is it possibly you or someone can provide the codes just for those games for now, I'm guessing it is fairly simple and easy and you could just post them here.

The codes are completely meaningless out of context. I found one list of codes for Infinity Machine and it's all things like

NIGHT SHIFT - [ Lucasarts ]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
TIME: (DS 31) 1EA29

Finding new codes works almost exactly like LGR demonstrates; the only difference is there's no extra hardware for Infinity Machine.

I'm also attempting to practice and finish a ton of early dos games and you know how cryptic those games can be.

I think it's strange that you would strive for authenticity and original disks and so on and then use a cheat program. But there are many things I don't understand.

I don't have a floppy drive here firstly and enjoy playing everything in the original manner much like you an nes or genesis, i wouldn't personally resort or emulation for those either for convenience. On them, I would use game genie for practice or otherwise on a small number of games. I I intend to use it for quicker practice or completetion with earlier dos games, such as those in the list, that are cryptic or insanely time consuming.

Is there anything that can be done so I can some kind of codes without this?

Reply 10 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zapblast wrote on 2020-03-05, 14:33:

I don't have a floppy drive here firstly and enjoy playing everything in the original manner

But doesn't "playing everything in the original manner" mean having to endure laborious repetition rather than "quicker practice"? If you don't have the same old "insanely time consuming" frustration as someone had back in the day, are you really having an authentic experience?

But like I said, there are a lot of things I don't understand.

Have you already checked to see if these games have built-in cheats? I'm sure they're documented online somewhere. In thirty seconds I found for Thexder:
http://sierrachest.com/index.php?a=games&id=4 … xder&fld=cheats

Otherwise, the only solution is to manually re-write the programs using a hex editor, but this is very difficult unless you are familiar with x86 assembly language. If you're really lucky, someone somewhere might have documented the changes you would need to make.

Reply 11 of 17, by zapblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-03-05, 14:54:
But doesn't "playing everything in the original manner" mean having to endure laborious repetition rather than "quicker practice […]
Show full quote
zapblast wrote on 2020-03-05, 14:33:

I don't have a floppy drive here firstly and enjoy playing everything in the original manner

But doesn't "playing everything in the original manner" mean having to endure laborious repetition rather than "quicker practice"? If you don't have the same old "insanely time consuming" frustration as someone had back in the day, are you really having an authentic experience?

But like I said, there are a lot of things I don't understand.

Have you already checked to see if these games have built-in cheats? I'm sure they're documented online somewhere. In thirty seconds I found for Thexder:

Otherwise, the only solution is to manually re-write the programs using a hex editor, but this is very difficult unless you are familiar with x86 assembly language. If you're really lucky, someone somewhere might have documented the changes you would need to make.

Yes I already know those cheats, they aren't enough.

Is there anyone who I purchase any kind of software from, I couldn't find anything on ebay.

No because you are using physical hardware the way it want to be played when released even if you are altering elements of games within this context. This also only applies to 2 percent of the earlier dos games which are insanely time consuming, almost broken or too dated. You can argue spamming moves or tricks etc is almost doing the same, both have no bearing on the physical setup and experience of everything being playing like it was back in the day.

Again Im just eager for purchasing a disk program or the codes, is there anyone on here who might have a original floppy or who can provide?

Reply 12 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zapblast wrote on 2020-03-05, 15:04:

both have no bearing on the physical setup and experience of everything being playing like it was back in the day.

People "back in the day" would be quite happy to download various freeware "trainers" from BBSs (or swap them with friends) rather than insisting on original disks of commercial software. In fact, that was probably much more common. There is nothing at all inauthentic about that. See for instance https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search … ent=firefox-b-d .

ETA: Or try The Collection Trainer. (There may be newer versions of it out there.)

Reply 13 of 17, by zapblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-03-05, 19:21:
zapblast wrote on 2020-03-05, 15:04:

both have no bearing on the physical setup and experience of everything being playing like it was back in the day.

People "back in the day" would be quite happy to download various freeware "trainers" from BBSs (or swap them with friends) rather than insisting on original disks of commercial software. In fact, that was probably much more common. There is nothing at all inauthentic about that. See for instance https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search … ent=firefox-b-d .

ETA: Or try The Collection Trainer. (There may be newer versions of it out there.)

I'm well aware of that, however you can make the same argument about copying disk games also a large amount of people were not using BBS let alone cracking or distributing illegally either, especially compared to today.

Still stand 100 percent behind what I said, in additional I like physical ownership and the usage of such a product at the same as I like owning dos installation disks, upgrades and the like.

Reply 14 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zapblast wrote on 2020-03-05, 20:31:

I'm well aware of that, however you can make the same argument about copying disk games also a large amount of people were not using BBS let alone cracking or distributing illegally either, especially compared to today.

How do you think this software spread if not through BBSs or people swapping disks with one another? Do you think modems didn't exist before the Internet? Yes, cracked commercial software is illegal, but these trainers were always meant for free distribution.

If you're saying piracy wasn't common back then, then I really don't understand where you're getting your ideas about an "authentic experience" from. I might further venture that if people were really interested in buying programs like Infinity Machine instead of downloading free trainers from BBSs, the software would probably be much easier to find. But that's getting speculative.

Still stand 100 percent behind what I said, in additional I like physical ownership and the usage of such a product at the same as I like owning dos installation disks, upgrades and the like.

But finding this software is "insanely time consuming", and I thought you didn't like stuff that was "insanely time consuming".

Whatever. I clearly do not understand. I'll stop talking now.

Reply 15 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good luck finding an original copy of the software. The disk image for Game Wizard 32 is available . You could even print out a new sticker for the disk and use the same color floppy if you are so inclined.

These things were pretty much mail order back then and just like the registered versions of games that were shareware, they are really, really hard to find in original form.

Here is the archived page for GAMEWIZ32. You can at least download the shareware version - This is NOT the same program as Game Wizard 32:
http://web.archive.org/web/20050203023027/htt … de/english.html

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16 of 17, by Calvero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think that's for a different game: Thexder for Windows 95.

Reply 17 of 17, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just tried Game Wizard 32 myself and I'm honestly surprised with how well it works. Now I can actually make some progress in this ultra obscure DOS game called Qi Xiao Quan. Here's a code for infinite health in normal mode's fighting sections:

0000E6BB