VOGONS

First post, by Apolonius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all.

Recently I have bought a pair of thin clients to use exclusively for DOS one and for W95/98 the other.
The first PC is a HP T5000 (mine is the T5500 model with no USB 2.0, just 1.1) and I pretend to use exclusively for DOS with FreeDOS 1.2. I have choosed this OS instead MS-DOS because I don't know how to install through USB the Microsoft OS.

The SO is installed with no problems, I have used a SD to IDE adapter with a 32GB card as C: and with no more software installed I can play perfectly with VGA and PC Speaker options.
Now, when I start to install some drivers I'm spending too much hours and some days reading and trying 1000 ways to install the Bret Johnson's USB driver with no result.
Without any USB software I can use the keyboard, mouse and pendrives with no problems but I can not use another device as a MIDI USB cable for example, so I need to install the USB driver.

When I install USBUHCIL.COM and after push a key on my keyboard, can occur one thing, the system freezes and I have to restart the computer, the system freezes and show me an error message (error #12) and I have to restart the computer or, appears something like memory directions (scrolling up at speed of light) and I have to restart the computer.
I have tried with some different keyboards with the same result. I also have tried to do a batch file with:
USBUHCI / DisableLegacy, I0
USBKEYB
The result is the same, the computer freezes. I have read that it can be for the KEYB that uses FreeDOS and is better to use de MS-DOS KEYB but, is not compatible so I can't use it.

Is there any other USB driver that I can use with FreeDOS?.

Thanks and regards.

Reply 1 of 3, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Many many moons ago I had a bunch of floppies from an old 8 bit computer (Commodore 64)I wanted to image. At the time the only solution was a custom adapter that would let me connect the legacy floppy drive to my PC's parallel port and create image files using a DOS program. The PC was XP and therefore wouldn't work with the imaging utility because it required direct access to the HW. I had to boot into DOS. Unfortunately that would mean no R/W access to NTFS so the only other option was a FAT formatted USB drive. I tried many USB DOS drivers, these are the ones that worked for me:

Panasonic USB DOS drivers.
https://hddguru.com/software/2006.02.09-USBAS … -MS-DOS-Driver/

I booted into DOS 7 off removable media , imaged all diskettes to USB, then booted back into XP and was able to access all the image files I created.

No hot plug - so the drive must be connected on boot-up.

Reply 2 of 3, by Apolonius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Norton Commander wrote on 2020-06-06, 11:03:
Panasonic USB DOS drivers. https://hddguru.com/software/2006.02.09-USBAS … -MS-DOS-Driver/ […]
Show full quote

Panasonic USB DOS drivers.
https://hddguru.com/software/2006.02.09-USBAS … -MS-DOS-Driver/

I booted into DOS 7 off removable media , imaged all diskettes to USB, then booted back into XP and was able to access all the image files I created.

No hot plug - so the drive must be connected on boot-up.

Thanks for the reply.
I have tried USBASPI.SYS too and this time, the computer have not freezed and can read all the USB ports but, when the test finsh, the keyboard is dead and don't have any response and I need to restart de computer again.

I think that the problem is FreeDOS itself, is there a way to do an autoboot USB stick with the instalable MS-DOS 6.22?.