VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by armani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying for a couple days to get either of these games to work through DOSBox/Windows 10 but they won't (I think both of these are Windows 95 and DOS compatible AND they have 3D acceleration support, so these kind of games are supper iffy to get working on modern Windows to begin with). I try to start both through DOS and I get a missing DLL error. I saw gameplay video of Burnout, and apparently someone got it to work through D-Fend but I have no idea how they did it, because I tried D-Fend on both, too. I also tried using dgVoodoo potentially to my advantage but that also did not work. Can anyone help me out here?

Reply 2 of 8, by armani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-06-08, 01:12:

Which is the missing .dll?

They're conveniently called "NIRA.dll" and "burnout.dll" but neither are actually missing, they're definitely in the game files

Reply 3 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

According to Moby Burnout is a DOS game and NIRA is a Win only from '99. It is probably possible to get Burnout working in DOSBox. From '99 NIRA probably won't run in Win3x in DOSBox. I'm not familiar with the game so I am not sure what it might take to get it to run.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 8, by armani

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote on 2020-06-08, 14:16:

According to Moby Burnout is a DOS game and NIRA is a Win only from '99. It is probably possible to get Burnout working in DOSBox. From '99 NIRA probably won't run in Win3x in DOSBox. I'm not familiar with the game so I am not sure what it might take to get it to run.

Do you know what I could do to get Burnout running? If NIRA is 16-bit Windows then I won't even bother to get it running anymore until I actually manage to set up my 3dfx whitebox, I also attempted to get Gearhead Garage running (which is 16-bit Windows) on my Win10 machine over many days and it was literally impossible

Reply 7 of 8, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let's see...

Burnout in DOSBox 0.74-3:
The installer crashes after switching to the sound setup program. I tried running the sound setup program separately later but then get a CD missing error when starting the game. It seems there's a config file missing because of the installer crash.

I then tried running the installer from Windows 3.11 in DOSBox with install.pif. No crash this time. The missing config file was BURNOUT.CFG with the following text inside:
D: C:\BURNOUT\

The empty space between D: and C: is not a space, it's 'NUL' or 0x00. Adding this file in the DOS installed version fixes the CD missing error. Game starts and is playable but there is some serious flickering in the menus.

Next installed the patch for v1.23. The patch fixes the flickering. Game seems to be running OK as well.

I tested only the software version but I think the 3Dfx version install process would be similar (keep in mind that the different versions have different v1.23 patches).

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 8 of 8, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For Burnout, no problem with DOSBox SVN and QEMU, both running the 3Dfx DOS version upscaled to 1024x768 with OpenGlide. The original CD version 1.00 runs at uncapped FPS and it reaches over 200FPS on QEMU WHPX, while the patched version 1.23 has FPS capped at 50FPS.

I didn't test the software version. No one would want to play software version if there is a 3Dfx version out there.