VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Crady

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys, As I read the posts and threads I can quickly tell I'm in water swift and deep, so please be tender and kind with my questions. I have an old computer currently running Windows 3.1 (old Excel, old dBase III, old Master Chef, etc). My current and daily use computer runs Windows-7. Simple question, please with details as you wish. Can I move these programs to my Win-7 computer and use DosBox to run them? If the answer is "yes" I can probably, with work, maybe figure the rest of it out. I can tell you guys are super intelligent in your field however as a very experienced hospital pharmacist I can probably dazzle you too about drugs, chemo, TPN and IV fluids. All help, comments and advice appreciated.

Last edited by Qbix on 2020-07-23, 15:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No need to put your email address in your post. I advise editing and removing it.

It is likely your old programs will run in Windows 7 without having to do anything special.

But if they don't, DOSBox does have the capability to run Windows 3.1. There is a guide here: Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Emerging alternatives to using Windows in DOSBox include WineVDM and BoxedWine. A more thorough approach would be to use a virtual machine like VirtualBox or VMware, or possibly PCem. (This latter approach is basically what is used by "XP mode" in premium versions of Windows 7.) But generally running Win 3.x in DOSBox should be adequate.

keenmaster486 wrote on 2020-07-23, 15:02:

It is likely your old programs will run in Windows 7 without having to do anything special.

Eh? Not if it's 64-bit Windows.

Reply 4 of 10, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote on 2020-07-23, 15:33:

Eh? Not if it's 64-bit Windows.

You are correct. I am too used to just being able to run 16 bit Windows programs in 64-bit Linux using WINE.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 6 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

since PCem's mentioned I should also mention that emulator is for entertainment purposes only (for games), and like many of these emulators, won't provide the floating precision (for entertainment speed reasons as fully emulating a FPU in 2020 is still expensive).

Dunno if vDos can boot Win3.1 but that's a dosbox fork meant for non-games so that might be worth a shot.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The big problem with running these programs in Dosbox is that there is no share support. You will jeed to resort to using fakeshare which works somewhat for quick opening these programs and their files but it's not safe for actually working on files and is likely to result in data loss.
I *think* the vDOS fork does address this but I don't know.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote on 2020-07-24, 05:09:

The big problem with running these programs in Dosbox is that there is no share support. You will jeed to resort to using fakeshare which works somewhat for quick opening these programs and their files but it's not safe for actually working on files and is likely to result in data loss.

I was thinking about that, but isn't that only used in MS Office 4.x?

Reply 9 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Jorpho wrote on 2020-07-24, 15:57:
Dominus wrote on 2020-07-24, 05:09:

I was thinking about that, but isn't that only used in MS Office 4.x?

All office suites (Lotus), all Microsoft office like programs (Publisher, etc...) use it and some other programs as well. There was even a game that uses it. Everything that uses the OLE stuff I think... So, likely to be a problem (OP mentioned Excel)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 10, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If one booted a legit MS-DOS 6.22 image instead of using DOSBox internal DOS, then SHARE would come with it. I am not sure if SHARE would depend on low-level IBM PC INT15h that DOSBox may not be 100% compliant due to its focus on games.