VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by n1ghttr4p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

According to this
https://stickfreaks.com/software/dosisoify
it's somehow possible to mount an ISO (a format I thought only capable of file system data, not audio) in DOS with functional CDDA playback.

If it's possible to make an ISO or convert an image this way could someone PLEASE tell me how, or otherwise what this disc emulator needs to do this? I've gone through 3 bad IDE drives and am extremely interested in this long shot solution. Thank you.

Reply 1 of 4, by moog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ISO is shorthand for ISO 9660 filesystem, which by definition cannot hold audio tracks. It is only a 1:1 copy of a particular data track by definition.

FYI mounting a cuesheet (closest thing to an open format that supports CDDA) in DOS would probably require a TSR which in turn requires EMM386 which will screw up most software that wasn't designed to run alongside DOS EMM386. Can't tell about Windows EMM386. I had too many problems with JEMM386 running alongside DOS4/GW related to game stability. I eventually caved in an bought a working IDE drive.

Audigy 2 ZS in FreeDOS
LinLin adapter documentation
+ various capacitor list threads

Reply 2 of 4, by n1ghttr4p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
moog wrote on 2020-10-18, 01:50:

ISO is shorthand for ISO 9660 filesystem, which by definition cannot hold audio tracks. It is only a 1:1 copy of a particular data track by definition.

FYI mounting a cuesheet (closest thing to an open format that supports CDDA) in DOS would probably require a TSR which in turn requires EMM386 which will screw up most software that wasn't designed to run alongside DOS EMM386. Can't tell about Windows EMM386. I had too many problems with JEMM386 running alongside DOS4/GW related to game stability. I eventually caved in an bought a working IDE drive.

"working" has been my curse lately, regarding that. Was kinda hoping this was possible somehow. So was that guy just mistaken or assuming the feature or what? I also notice Jason Hood's site and software package are super low on docs, so I wonder what the full capabilities even are of his software.

Reply 3 of 4, by n1ghttr4p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jason Hood just replied that this is not possible through his tools. I think the confusion started with a mention that "Quake now plays CD music" and the guy at stickfreaks.com kinda ran with that, or they both simply mean that you can load a game via ISO and it'll play tracks from an actual CD... which is a baffling use case, but I guess if you wanna use audio from another, already burnt/acquired disc. Just seems like you'd want to go fully virtual or not at all to me. This can probably be closed, unless some mad genius can be inspired to use their valuable time to make a program that does this, which sounds difficult with buggy results at best the more I think about it.

Reply 4 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
moog wrote on 2020-10-18, 01:50:

FYI mounting a cuesheet (closest thing to an open format that supports CDDA) in DOS would probably require a TSR which in turn requires EMM386

TSRs do not require EMM386.

n1ghttr4p wrote on 2020-10-18, 02:44:

This can probably be closed, unless some mad genius can be inspired to use their valuable time to make a program that does this, which sounds difficult with buggy results at best the more I think about it.

There is some talk of doing it in hardware, but there is not yet any affordable solution:
Gotek like Optical Driver Emulator - Is it possible?

Otherwise, by the time you finished programming such a thing, you would probably wind up re-implementing DOSBox running in DOS. (This is actually possible with the HX DOS Extender.)