VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tiago Almeida

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys,

Sorry to post here but I couldn't find answer anywhere.

I'm having trouble trying to play Doom original and Wacky Wheels. Game seems to run fine but I can't control on menu, so I can't play. Keyboard is unresponsive and laggy.

I'm running DOS 6.22 on Dell Optiplex 170L with third party sound card: sound blaster live! This machine is a Celeron 320, 2.4GHz with 2GB mem.

I'm using USB keyboard and mouse.
I'm I'm

Reply 1 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiago Almeida wrote on 2021-01-14, 04:22:
Hello guys, […]
Show full quote

Hello guys,

Sorry to post here but I couldn't find answer anywhere.

I'm having trouble trying to play Doom original and Wacky Wheels. Game seems to run fine but I can't control on menu, so I can't play. Keyboard is unresponsive and laggy.

I'm running DOS 6.22 on Dell Optiplex 170L with third party sound card: sound blaster live! This machine is a Celeron 320, 2.4GHz with 2GB mem.

I'm using USB keyboard and mouse.
I'm I'm

Either test with a PS/2 keyboard or try this [SOLVED] PSA : using USB keyboard with BIOS PS/2 emulation routines does not always work well. I.E. in Jazz Jackrabbit and let us know if it works for you .

Reply 2 of 7, by Tiago Almeida

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you very much for you response, sir!

I don't have any PS/2 mouse or keyboard around, maybe a PS/2 USB adapter.

I used Bret Johnson's USB DOS driver that you mentioned and worked fine! Doom, Wacky Wheels and other games worked flawlessly!

But there was a caveat in there: mouse stops working! I uninstalled CTMOUSE that I have and tried using USBMOUSE, but with no luck.

Do you use this approach? (usb mouse and keyboard with these drivers)

Reply 5 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiago Almeida wrote on 2021-01-14, 16:30:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-01-14, 15:53:

You need *both* USBMOUSE and CTMOUSE. USBMOUSE must be loaded first

I did that, no luck! Mouse doesn't work, is there any *special* parameter?

I have a PS/2 mouse, so I never experimented with USBMOUSE. CTMOUSE has at least 2 variants, AFAICR. You might want to try a different one .

Reply 7 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiago Almeida wrote on 2021-01-14, 20:03:

I tried 3 versions of CTMOUSE (1.9, 1.20, 1.21) all of them with same result, no mouse pointer. I think the easiest way will be buying PS/2 mouse and keyboard.

I agree . I am going to try to dig out my spare model M from storage .