VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by OMC79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't make this game to have sound with my onboard sound card. I have a Compaq Presario 5000 with an Allegro-1 chip. Whenever I try to put the sound blaster, the game just crashes and I have to turn off my PC. The only way I've managed to have sound (besides PC speaker) is with Virtual Sound Blaster and a COVOX but it sounds too distorted. Please, Help!

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There have been posts about this game in the past. Loading EMM386 might help if you are not doing that already. Or you may have a bad copy of the game.
Alien Carnage (Halloween Harry) sound
[SOLVED]Having trouble with Halloween Harry (Alien Carnage)
Alien Carnage (aka Halloween Harry) won't run with DOS 6.22 - help needed

Reply 3 of 4, by OMC79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
K1n9_Duk3 wrote on 2021-03-24, 21:20:

Alien Carnage has the same problem as Mystic Towers: Some parts of the sound code are hard-coded for a base address of 220 and therefore won't work for any other address.

This seems to be the case. Downloaded four different registered versions and all got stuck. I'll stick with the freeware and VSB/Covox combo, at least It doesn't give me the Runtime error 200 due to the speed.
Well, one good thing came out if this, I could confirm that VSB does work with this game and you get sound and SFX.

Maybe a patch is needed to alter that code.

Reply 4 of 4, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One patch wouldn't be enough, though. Alien Carnage/Halloween Harry consists of 16 different executables (HARRY0.-0 to HARRY99.-0) and every single one of them would need to be patched. A generic "find this sequence of bytes and modify it" sort of patch might work, but it could also mess up something else in the code.