VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I bought this game today on GOG, with the sole intention of NOT running it on ScummVM, but rather to run it on one of my more vintage machines (Toshiba Satellite pro 480CDT or Libretto 110CT), but of course i stumbled into issues. First of all, i can't get the audio working (both these machines should emulate SB pro and does also so for other games). Did anyone here get this game working on your retro setups (when getting the game from GOG)?

Reply 1 of 16, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Answering myself (as usual 😉 ) and quoting the user "impc7r" from https://www.gog.com/forum/legend_of_kyrandia_ … he_gog_versions.

"UPDATE for DOSBOX:
Looks like im unexpectedly quick figuring out to make games work on DosBox with little to no research and I need Kyr3 with sound because in the far past I played this without any sound, speech or anything. Here is how 😀

- You need the DOS version of the game with its exec's. The one that worked for me can be found LINK REMOVED The file is Malcoms_revenge and as you can see it's only 30MB because a lot of the audio is missing and dialogs.

- Unpack that version from the file you saved, you will use it as a base and get the files from GOG over here.

- Install your GOG version, I order the short version and the GOG version by file types. In the Malcolms_Revenge

- do you see any AUD files? that's right there are none, copy them from the GOG folder to Malcolms_Revenge. TITLE1.AUD may exist but is 0byte filesize, so copy that one too from the GOG. PAK files are good.

- Ignore any saves, scummvm folders, goglog, gog ico, webcache and such related files you do not need to copy those

- Copy all TLK, all VQA and WESTWOOD.001 files from GOG into Malcolms_Revenge

Your game has the files to run with sound.

- For first run, run the setup while in DosBox, even tho I mostly use Sound Blaster Pro 2.0, you should select Sound Blaster in the setup to hear music and audio and speech and yep it is just like how it should sound.

- Run KYRANDI3.BAT, and while Intro does not load as if missing (there is K3Intro0.VQA), at least all the rest is fine. Note: There could be better versions of Kyrandia 3 but some require windows and would not work at all."

This worked fine on my Toshiba 480 CDT, but it did not work on the Toshiba libretto 110CT (basically the same hardware, but in a smaller package). Did anyone get the game to place successfully on the Libretto?

Last edited by DosFreak on 2021-04-11, 02:01. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I expect it ought to be possible to make an xdiff file patch between the GOG version and the older version, and thus avoid having to link to abandonware websites (which tends to be frowned upon) – assuming it's not just a matter of adjusting a preference somewhere.

Reply 3 of 16, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-04-10, 22:04:

I expect it ought to be possible to make an xdiff file patch between the GOG version and the older version, and thus avoid having to link to abandonware websites (which tends to be frowned upon) – assuming it's not just a matter of adjusting a preference somewhere.

The issue is the GOG version is packed to run through SCUMMVM so it has just the program data, but not the actual executable files. Even GOG releases that use DOSBOX are sometimes missing the setup programs as they are already configured with sound settings and the like to what DOSBOX is configured to.

Having the REMOVED release of things normally lets you play in real DOS.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-10-14, 19:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SScorpio wrote on 2021-04-10, 23:31:

The issue is the GOG version is packed to run through SCUMMVM so it has just the program data, but not the actual executable files. Even GOG releases that use DOSBOX are sometimes missing the setup programs as they are already configured with sound settings and the like to what DOSBOX is configured to.

Are you sure about that..? There's Digital DOS games (GOG, Steam...) Retro PC Compatibility Sheet: We need your input! , and Legend of Kyrandia isn't in there at all. And surely M. My03 wouldn't have been able to run the game at all in DOS (i.e. with non-working sound) if the executable was completely missing?

Reply 6 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
newtmonkey wrote on 2021-04-11, 02:56:

SScropio is correct, the GOG release of The Legend of Kyrandia is unfortunately just the data files packaged with SCUMMVM.

Is that true for all three games in the trilogy?

I guess that spreadsheet needs updating either way.

Reply 8 of 16, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

google REMOVED if you want properly archived DOS games made to run in a DOS environment.
GOG releases of DOS games are often butchered to run on modern systems only.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-10-14, 19:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DNSDies wrote on 2021-04-11, 17:47:

google REMOVED if you want properly archived DOS games made to run in a DOS environment.
GOG releases of DOS games are often butchered to run on modern systems only.

GOG has the singular advantage of being legitimate. As I said, linking to abandonware sites is frowned upon here.

(I would have doubts about whether REMOVED is necessarily a high-quality archive, but I can't say I've seen it myself.)

Reply 10 of 16, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-04-11, 21:21:

GOG has the singular advantage of being legitimate. As I said, linking to abandonware sites is frowned upon here.

(I would have doubts about whether REMOVEDis necessarily a high-quality archive, but I can't say I've seen it myself.)

REMOVED isn't really a preservation archive, but it's thousands upon thousands of hours of work. Where pretty much any DOS game anyone will ask for is there and configured to fire up out of a nice front end. It also has automated config switching for some games to change how you experience them, want Adlib music? Sure. MT-32 instead? Go ahead.

If a game is commercially available such as on GOG, go ahead and pay the license holder for it. But be aware you may need to use alternative sources to play it in an "unsupported" way.

Reply 12 of 16, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all, just to rule out any misunderstandigs: yes, i do indeed have the GOG version (which i bought with the purpose of moving the game over to one of my older machines to run it there) but as stated here above, the GOG is purely ScummVM so it haven't got several files that should be there. I also respect the policy around not linking to any "suspect" sites (sorry about that) but that was only a means to get to the missing files.

I currently have it running (after mixing the packages) on the Toshiba 480CDT with sound. It also runs on the Libretto110ct but without sound (both machines running W98 and are mostly "identical" as for the config (obviously not the size 😉 ). This is odd as any other game that i run (on both these machines) has sound.

Reply 13 of 16, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmmmm. It keeps driving me nuts... So i updated the SB drivers to (i believe) the latest msdos ones and when i issue the "sb-inst" it passes through everything (base adress, irq, dma)... but when i try to start it (either by using the kyrandi3.bat or the main.exe), it always complains that it can't initialise the sound hardware... (this is on the Libretto 110ct). The game (and sound) works perfectly on my 480CDT but not on the libretto. I have a bunch of other games on the both machines and neither of them has any issues with music and/or audio. Very strange.

Reply 16 of 16, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sure, i cleaned out everything SB-related from dos (i learned that the Yamaha opl3-sax drivers will "carry over" into w98 dos). But as far as i can see, i had to alter the irq in autoexec.bat vs. what they were defined as inside w98. After moving the irq to the next slot, it started to work.

So, no need to fiddle with SB-drivers at all.