VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RetroMaster137

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.
I intend to install MS-DOS 7.1 in an HP Probook G42 laptop for testing purposes.

To explain what I intend to ask, allow me to put a half-assed analogy.
As far as I know, video devices nowadays are all variants/extensions from VGA, not Tandy, Hercules, ect.
Does the same happen with an on-board sound device like in the title? Is the equivalent listed here, or do I need to find a driver somewhere else?
JyjdpFM.png

Thanks for your time!

Reply 3 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Many motherboards had AC97 audio devices, but only very few of them ever had DOS drivers for those devices, and certainly nothing that used "Intel HD Audio" ever had DOS drivers.

If this is for "testing purposes", why not try the different options and see for yourself?

Reply 4 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jmarsh wrote on 2021-05-11, 14:01:

This looks like some hacked up non-official thing that somebody has thrown together.

Of course it's an unofficial setup for 7.1, there was no such thing.
I don't know why it asks for the soundcard and what it does with this information though, probably just setting some autoexec entries.

Reply 5 of 6, by RetroMaster137

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If Intel HD Audio isn't backwards compatible with AC97, well that's disappointing I guess. Though I'll admit I have no idea how sound works (i.e. I don't remember how any of that was setup in an old 486 my mom had xD),
I just assumed it was possible because my cousin had sound in the DOS version of NO$GBA, in a Compaq Deskpro, ran on a Pentium II with a dual-boot to a perfectly functional Windows XP. I don't remember any more details, other than both his PC and this laptop use similar BIOS; both come from the same codebase, menus have the same interface, I just got a slightly more updated version.
Yes, selecting an option adds settings into autoexec.bat, i.e. a %BLASTER% variable that some programs (such as Pinball Fantasies' SETSOUND) use to pre-select some options, not sure if any program outright goes to the letter without more option. Just thought a typical Sound Blaster setup needed an additional SYS file or something like that, I think I'm wrong here.

By the way, this MS-DOS 7.1's setup might be unofficial and it's not that much known I think (made by Chinese DOS Union), but IMO it has not only proven to be highly useful (for one it's already more featured than MS-DOS 6.22 + Supp disk), it also features some of the most inspiring batch files I ever read in my life, yet criminally underrated. In fact (and I hope not to look racist), compared to the coding quality from many chinese famicom games, this setup is actually quite stable, and quite polished, like a polar opposite. And I think that's quite interesting.

Reply 6 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroMaster137 wrote on 2021-05-11, 19:09:

I don't remember any more details, other than both his PC and this laptop use similar BIOS; both come from the same codebase, menus have the same interface

I can't imagine what makes you think the BIOS from a Pentium II should "come from the same codebase" as whatever your laptop is (an i5, I guess?). If the menus look the same then that's just because the appearance of BIOS menus hasn't changed much in the last twenty or thirty years.

Just thought a typical Sound Blaster setup needed an additional SYS file or something like that, I think I'm wrong here.

Different sound hardware requires different drivers. You can see this for yourself by selecting different options in the setup.

it also features some of the most inspiring batch files I ever read in my life

It's nice that you find inspiration in batch files.