First post, by jspyder
After fighting for more than 4 days (!!!) I *finally* managed to get the editor for the original Dungeon Keeper (1 not 2) installed on my Windows 98 SE virtual machine to where it will actually run.
However, every time I try to load an existing level, it crashes (no error, just drops to the desktop).
I repeat: AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH!
* modified the config file to point to the DK Levels folder
* made sure the VM is slow enough for the editor to not move too quickly
* copied all of the game files from the CD to the hard drive of the VM
* tried UnDeD and ADiKtEd - the first won't allow manipulation of anything but the physical map (no characters, no specials, etc.) and the second refuses to load the map (every time I try I get an error)
* installed KeeperFX, but can't figure out how to use the editor with it (and the only web site that may be helpful is one my browser refuses to go to - "server IP address cannot be found")
Have I mentioned AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH! ?
I'm pulling out my hair at this point (and to those who know me, that's a VERY time consuming proposition).
... help? ...
ADDENDUM: I found the instructions for installing the editor in KeeperFX, followed them, started it up, tried to load a level ... and EXACTLY THE SAME THING HAPPENED.
One more time, for good measure: AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH!