VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by LieboOSBA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an original boxed copy of MS-DOS 6.00 Upgrade.

You can't normally perform a clean install of MS-DOS with this version. I am wondering if there is a way to trick the check it must perform during setup to get this to work?

This is purely for educational purposes to scratch a curiosity itch as I know I could just clean install 6.22 full version should I desire to.

file.php?mode=view&id=113801

Attachments

LBX Computers

Reply 1 of 4, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Almost" clean:
- Get a DOS 5.0 OS disk.
- FDISK
- FORMAT C: /S
- Try to update your OS.

After FORMAT /S you should have only three files (IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, COMMAND.COM) that will be overwritten by your new DOS.

(You could try to boot your first floppy of MS-DOS update while pressing SHIFT. It should boot DOS without using CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT, but you still will have access to FDISK and FORMAT... so maybe you can format your HDD and then try to "update" that DOS)

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 4, by LieboOSBA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pretending I only have a new PC without an OS, and its 1993 without access to any other software other than the MS-DOS 6.00 upgrade, I went with the holding SHIFT down method. I used FDISK and FORMAT /S to get a C drive that boots but I have not restarted the machine yet.

Manually running MS-DOS setup now tells me it has found DOS files on the hard disk and recommends I reboot the machine first, which I will do now.

With the first floppy in the drive still, I let setup to the reboot. Setup automatically restarts and gives me the same warning.

Still, it goes give you the option to setup MS-DOS from scratch so I guess it kinda works.

Thanks for the suggestion!

LBX Computers

Reply 3 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's also possible to format the HDD without copying system files.
FORMAT /B will format the drive, but only preserves a free location for the system files.
That way, they can be transferred later on.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 4, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It needs Dos system files for an the hdd the upgrade to commence Jo22.

Similar to having a fake win.com for Windows upgrades to work.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉