VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jlnhlfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a plan when it comes to modding NHL 97, but whenever I try to play it, DOSBox tells me that it MUST be installed and run from a CD-Rom. What also doesn't help is that this screenshot was taken after I had already installed it! Now what am I going to do?!?!?!?!

Attachments

Reply 1 of 9, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In that screenshot it looks like you ran DOSSETUP from the CD (drive D:), not the game executable from the directory where you installed it.

But after the error it shows you suddenly at C:\NHL97DOS\ somehow, which I guess is where the game is actually installed.
The game executable is probably named something like NHL97.EXE, but I don't have it installed to check.

Reply 2 of 9, by jlnhlfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shamino wrote on 2021-12-29, 03:21:

In that screenshot it looks like you ran DOSSETUP from the CD (drive D:), not the game executable from the directory where you installed it.

But after the error it shows you suddenly at C:\NHL97DOS\ somehow, which I guess is where the game is actually installed.
The game executable is probably named something like NHL97.EXE, but I don't have it installed to check.

The game is actually installed in C:\NHL97DOS\. hockey.exe is the name of the executable that is supposed to run the game. This screenshot was taken right after installation.

Reply 3 of 9, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No hockey.exe in picture above is hockey.exe on CD, what happens when you execute it? It looks like simple copy protection which is forcing you to have cd in drive.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 5 of 9, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow so we have where some real hockey star 😀 I tried to google, didnt find the team.. but regarding of Mobygames, you just coded it. World is small but man from Syria which coding ice hockey game is funny thing.

Otherwise i tried NHL97 without Dos patch Dosbox some no cd, but it seems broken (it could be bad hack problem).. i dunno why maybe because its 70 Hz game in some 60 Hz mode, its blinking a lot..
https://streamable.com/ua33nc

Last edited by ruthan on 2022-01-03, 21:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 6 of 9, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, i was i bit less lazy and tried full NHL97 iso image and its install and run fine.

Just added this to Dosobox autoexec:
imgmount E "D:\Games\!DosD\Games\1DOS\NHL97.iso" -t iso -fs iso

After i started DosSetup from cd (swith to E: and there i run Dossetup.exe) fine and installed it on D:\Games\1Dos\NHL97CD optimal 80 MB install.
and run hockey.exe

Its blinking too, but there is some Dos patch 1.1
Update: Patch is fixing blinking.

https://streamable.com/uovoqv

Reply 7 of 9, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2022-01-03, 21:37:

Wow so we have where some real hockey star 😀 I tried to google, didnt find the team..

Hehe yes I was a graphics programmer on that game (I never played hockey in real life though). We added ourselves in a special "developers" team in the game and were quite proud with the salaries we gave to ourselves there 😅 One can at least dream, right?

Reply 8 of 9, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Were quite proud with the salaries we gave to ourselves there 😅 One can at least dream, right?

Common it has to gold mine, all these money from player and their agents, to keep their rating higher had to be nice 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by jlnhlfan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2022-01-03, 21:53:
Ok, i was i bit less lazy and tried full NHL97 iso image and its install and run fine. […]
Show full quote

Ok, i was i bit less lazy and tried full NHL97 iso image and its install and run fine.

Just added this to Dosobox autoexec:
imgmount E "D:\Games\!DosD\Games\1DOS\NHL97.iso" -t iso -fs iso

After i started DosSetup from cd (swith to E: and there i run Dossetup.exe) fine and installed it on D:\Games\1Dos\NHL97CD optimal 80 MB install.
and run hockey.exe

Its blinking too, but there is some Dos patch 1.1
Update: Patch is fixing blinking.

https://streamable.com/uovoqv

Thanks for your help. This worked for me!