VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Christiano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,
I need help to run Desert Strike game in MS DOS on a Celeron 400 Mhz computer.
Desert.exe will not start due to "divide overflow" error. I read that is happening because my CPU is faster than 233 Mhz.
I found a patch on google at Megagames.com but the download link is not functioning https://megagames.com/patches/desert-strike-r … -overflow-patch
Do you happen to have this patch ? Or if not, do you have an already patched executable than you can share with me so that I can play the game too ?

Just for bragging, I'll post my retro configuration too:

Luckytech P6LX7 (based on 440LX chipset) / Celeron 400 Mhz / Matrox G450 AGP / CMI 8330 ISA soundcard

v
v

!! UPDATE: >>> the solution that worked for this game was to disable CPU cache in BIOS. It reduced anything to a crawl, but the game ran adequate.

Last edited by Christiano on 2024-01-08, 08:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You may have already seen this but on certain sites they give the below advice

Note: You might experience a "divide overflow" problem when trying to start the game. If you're one of these unlucky ones, just execute the game a couple of times in succession. It usually works for me after the 10th or so try

I could be wrong but I thought I'd played this on my P3 600 If I was it would have been with a no-cd patch applied.
But despite owning the game since the 90's I never really got into it so could be wrong and was just using slower PC's then I remember