VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Santyago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to install DOS 6.22 directly on a 486DX4 platform for a few days now.

After partitioning the hard drive, formatting, setting active partition, mbr and installing DOS, the boot stuck after post screen. No error messages.

Interestingly, when connected the same disk to another K6-2 platform boot also stuck. But when installed the same DOS on K6 platform (identical procedure), disk prepared in this way boots correctly on 486.

Disk is correctly detected on both BIOS via LBA.

Platform:
AMD 486DX4-S 100
Motherboard GA-486AM/S rev 2.20 (Nov7, 1995 REV.A) Bios 2A4X5G0H
32MB RAM
HDD Seagate ST34321A 4.3GB

Any clue?

Reply 2 of 10, by Santyago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes. I think my mobo is damaged. After hour, after installed on other PC, DOS was broken - again stuck on boot.
I'm trying this on two different hard disks, different cables.

In addition, I noticed the secondary controller don't work. In BIOS disk is detected on secondry master - but on POST screen is not detected. Also cache chips is very hot after couple minutes and cache memory show "none" on POST screen.

Better i'm looking for new motherboard. I write new topic here : AM486DX4-100 - which motherboard

Reply 5 of 10, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Santyago wrote on 2023-01-19, 18:40:

After partitioning the hard drive, formatting, setting active partition, mbr and installing DOS, the boot stuck after post screen. No error messages.

so you partion, reboot, format, reboot, set active, reboot, install dos, reboot... after the last one it doesnt boot? how strange. i would do a simple install, aka fdisk /mbr + sys c: and boot into C: with nothing, as a test.

i wonder if its got incorrect size settings lba vs chs or something, and the dos install is overwriting other bits of the disk...

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 6 of 10, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

have you tried installing on a 5oomb partition to start with? depending on your disk controller, dos 6 will only work reliably on either 500mb or 2gb per partition.

I manage a pot-pourri of video matter...

Reply 7 of 10, by Santyago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm also trying simple install fdisk /mbr + sys c: - also stuck. But again, only if i'm do it on 486 machine 😀

yes - i'm trying also 500MB .... 128MB .... that same issue

But why if i'm doing on other computer and back hard disk to 486 machine boot fine? But also after hour/two, when i'm reboot - boot stucks again 😒

And this is normal if SRAM chips (cache) is very hot after couple minutes?

I think to buy other mobo, but i'm not found any support AM486DX4-100 (A80486DX4-100SV8B) without doughter regulator board ( AM486DX4-100 - which motherboard ). Maybe I should buy some DX2-80 and other any mobo ?

Reply 8 of 10, by Van Slanzar de Fanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the cache chips are getting very hot, they might be bad. If the system is trying to use the cache, that could explain the issues you've been having. Are the chips socketed? It might be a good idea to replace them. If they're soldered, it might be more difficult, especially dealing with the motherboard's ground plane.

Chris/Van/Sober.
You have found a well. You may think that there is something to it, but in fact it is just an ordinary well.

Reply 10 of 10, by Santyago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Van Slanzar de Fanel wrote on 2023-01-20, 14:02:

If the cache chips are getting very hot, they might be bad. If the system is trying to use the cache, that could explain the issues you've been having.

Yes! After replace cache chips all works excellent. THANKS !!!!!!!!