VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Unofficial Ghost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm looking for some help to get the effects & voice sounds working in the DOS game Reunion: https://www.mobygames.com/game/597/reunion/

My specs are:

W98 SE
Pentium 4 2.66
AsRock P4i65G
512MB RAM
Audigy 2 ZS
GeForce FX 5900 XT

Here's where I'm at: I've just reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 98 SE, and before testing the game only installed motherboard (chipset/usb), GPU & sound card drivers & DirectX 90c.

For the sound card I used this guide to successfully setup/install my Audigy 2 ZS, following each step apart from section (7), which I don't need at the moment: Guide: Installing Windows 9x and DOS drivers on Audigy cards (version 3.1)

I installed the game to my hard drive, and I'm running it from the desktop, it runs well, but the only sound I'm getting is the music.

I found this Q&A about this issue in the game manual:

Q. I cannot here any digitized sound such as speech and effects during the game, only music. […]
Show full quote

Q. I cannot here any digitized sound such as speech and effects
during the game, only music.

A. You have incorrectly configured the IRQ number in the SETUP
program. For most Soundblaster cards the IRQ number is usually 7 or 5. If
you have chosen 7, change to 5 and vice versa. If this does not work,
consult your Soundblaster manual for more details or look at the SET
BLASTER= line in your Autoexec.bat file.

So I tried changing the IRQ number in the Setup.Exe, trying both 5 & 7, but neither resolved the issue. In the Setup.exe there's 4 settings in total. I kept the rest of the settings the same whilst trying each IRQ number, and set them as:

1: Sound Blaster Pro
2: I/O: 220h
3: Interrupt number: 5/7
4: DMA: 1

I checked the SET BLASTER= line in AutoExec.Bat (the default was set to 7), then ran Edit C:\AutoExec.Bat and changed it to 5, hit save, and tried running the game again... but no luck with that either.

As a last ditch effort I tried running the game directly from the CD, but that just resulted in there being no sound at all. Thought about running it from pure DOS mode, for no other reason than something else to try, but yet to test that & ultimately would prefer to run from the desktop.

I'm totally out of my depth here tbh. If you guys could chuck some ideas my way that might do the trick, that would be great!

Reply 1 of 23, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're not going to use pure DOS, then there was no point in going through the process of installing the VxD drivers, was there?
Remove them, clear any sound card stuff from your autoexec and install the WDM drivers.
Sound for DOS games in Windows should then work automatically (without needing to set blaster).
Just type "set" in the command prompt and it will tell you what settings to use in setup.

Kickass game by the way, well worth the trouble of setting up 😁

Reply 2 of 23, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you check the resources set for the SB16 emulation in Device Manager?

feda wrote on 2023-02-28, 22:26:

If you're not going to use pure DOS, then there was no point in going through the process of installing the VxD drivers, was there?

There is some point in the process of installing the VxD drivers apart from the SB16 emulation, better stability and performance with Windows games.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 23, by Unofficial Ghost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-02-28, 22:55:

Use automatic settings ☑

Settings based on: Basic configuration 0003

I/O Range: 0240 - 024F
I/O Range: 0310 - 0311
I/O Range: 0388 - 038B
DMA: 03
DMA: 07

Conflicting device list: No conflicts

There is some point in the process of installing the VxD drivers apart from the SB16 emulation, better stability and performance with Windows games.

That's the conclusion I made as well having watched a PhilsComputerLab video on this sound card, in which he said the same thing, along with the fact that the Audigy 2 Driver Utility Program info also recommends VxD for W98se gaming.

Last edited by Unofficial Ghost on 2023-03-01, 14:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 23, by Unofficial Ghost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Kickass game by the way, well worth the trouble of setting up 😁

Yes, it looks great, hope to get it running properly soon! right up my alley in terms of the music, voice style, and sci-fi setting, and as a fan of similar games like Imperium Galactica/strategy games in general.

If you're not going to use pure DOS, then there was no point in going through the process of installing the VxD drivers, was the […]
Show full quote

Remove them, clear any sound card stuff from your autoexec and install the WDM drivers.
Sound for DOS games in Windows should then work automatically (without needing to set blaster).
Just type "set" in the command prompt and it will tell you what settings to use in setup.

Will come back to this if other things don't work out.

Reply 5 of 23, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unofficial Ghost wrote on 2023-03-01, 12:27:
Use automatic settings ☑ […]
Show full quote

Use automatic settings ☑

Settings based on: Basic configuration 0003

I/O Range: 0240 - 024F
I/O Range: 0310 - 0311
I/O Range: 0388 - 0388
DMA: 03
DMA: 07

Conflicting device list: No conflicts

That's the conclusion I made as well having watched a PhilsComputerLab video on this sound card, in which he said the same thing, along with the fact that the Audigy 2 Driver Utility Program info also recommends VxD for W98se gaming.

I have just checked and the setup.exe in Reunion only allows DMA to be 1. This is true for both Sound Blaster and SoundBlaster Pro options. According to your Basic configuration 0003 you have a rather unconventional SB setup where the low DMA is 3. Unfortunately it seems that Reunion cannot work with this setting.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 6 of 23, by Unofficial Ghost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2023-03-01, 13:15:

I have just checked and the setup.exe in Reunion only allows DMA to be 1. This is true for both Sound Blaster and SoundBlaster Pro options. According to your Basic configuration 0003 you have a rather unconventional SB setup where the low DMA is 3. Unfortunately it seems that Reunion cannot work with this setting.

Yeah that definitely looks to be the culprit. The reason for this appears to be that the automatic settings bypass basic configuration 0000, 0001 & 0002 due to the following conflicts:

Interrupt Request 05 used by: Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
Interrupt Request 05 used by: ACPI IRQ Holder for PC IRQ Steering

The setting for Basic configuration 0000 does use a low DMA of 1.

I tried unticking the 'use automatic settings' and setting it to 0000, but the game then crashes.

Reply 7 of 23, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unofficial Ghost wrote on 2023-03-01, 13:46:
Yeah that definitely looks to be the culprit. The reason for this appears to be that the automatic settings bypass basic configu […]
Show full quote
Falcosoft wrote on 2023-03-01, 13:15:

Yeah that definitely looks to be the culprit. The reason for this appears to be that the automatic settings bypass basic configuration 0000, 0001 & 0002 due to the following conflicts:

Interrupt Request 05 used by: Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
Interrupt Request 05 used by: ACPI IRQ Holder for PC IRQ Steering

The setting for Basic configuration 0000 does use a low DMA of 1.

I tried unticking the 'use automatic settings' and setting it to 0000, but the game then crashes.

Some of these "Basic configuration" settings allows the IRQ channel to be changed manually. Set it to IRQ 7 if LPT1 (disable it in the BIOS setup just in case) or another device isn't using it.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 8 of 23, by Unofficial Ghost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-03-01, 13:56:

Some of these "Basic configuration" settings allows the IRQ channel to be changed manually. Set it to IRQ 7 if LPT1 (disable it in the BIOS setup just in case) or another device isn't using it.

Under Basic configuration 0000 I get the message "This resource setting cannot be modified" when I try to change the IRQ value.

My Bios settings are:

OnBoard Floppy Controller: Enabled
Serial Port Address: Disabled
Infrared Port Address: Disabled
Parallel Port Address: Disabled

I went back to the Basic configuration 0003 settings and am able to change the low DMA number to 1, but unable to see if that has worked as the game starts to run but then crashes with the error:

Not enough memory! Please run with more main memory or EMS (max 256k).

Reply 9 of 23, by Unofficial Ghost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did a quick search for this error and found the commands below recommended as a potential fix, so tried adding them to my Config.syd:

Device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:off
Device=c:\windows\emm386.exe ram d=64 min=0
Dos=high,umb

Unfortuantely no luck with that either!... Come on damn game, work! 😁

Reply 10 of 23, by zapedge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great choice mate, Reunion was an awesone game.

I wonder why you try to run it on such a machine. It was released in 94 for DOS. SBPro is the way to go here.

But, Try using a different PCI slot for the Audigy. There is a principle called irq sharing running in pci bus. it seems like the usb controller is blocking the needed irq.

First try disabling the on board usb controller and use PS2 input devices.
https://download.asrock.com/Manual/P4i65G.pdf page 31

It may be that the ressources you need are then free.
if so config the audigy resources manually in windows device manager. use A220,I5, D1 should be configuration profile 0000 as stated before. then save this.
windows writes this to the cmos.
then enable usb again and see if it gets a different irq.

if it does not work try another pci slot.

normally pci slot 2 does not share ressources with other devices per pci definition.

also check out https://techgenix.com/intshare/ for more info

Reply 12 of 23, by zapedge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i found the picture i was looking for earlier here in another post.
check out Re: Matrox Millennium II glitching and freezing with drivers installed.
there you see that pci slot 2 does not share interupts with others.
i assume you put the soundlaster in slot 4 or 5? it shares irq with the usb controller.

good luck

Reply 13 of 23, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unofficial Ghost wrote on 2023-03-01, 14:23:

Not enough memory! Please run with more main memory or EMS (max 256k).

Try going into the executable or bat file's memory tab in the properties menu. Set everything to the maximum available number (instead of auto). It helps sometimes.

Reply 14 of 23, by Unofficial Ghost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zapedge wrote on 2023-03-01, 16:23:

I wonder why you try to run it on such a machine. It was released in 94 for DOS. SBPro is the way to go here.

Yeah, I see what you're saying & in the future I will likely look into building more era specific builds, but for starters (this is my 1st old school build in recent years) I wanted to build an all-rounder for playing games ranging from DOS - 2000, and perhaps some early 00's games. After doing a fair bit of research, it seemed like a W98SE system would be suitable + the parts were readily available/reasonably priced.

But, Try using a different PCI slot for the Audigy. There is a principle called irq sharing running in pci bus. it seems like t […]
Show full quote

But, Try using a different PCI slot for the Audigy. There is a principle called irq sharing running in pci bus. it seems like the usb controller is blocking the needed irq.

First try disabling the on board usb controller and use PS2 input devices.
https://download.asrock.com/Manual/P4i65G.pdf page 31

It may be that the ressources you need are then free.

if so config the audigy resources manually in windows device manager. use A220,I5, D1 should be configuration profile 0000 as stated before. then save this.
windows writes this to the cmos.

I disabled the USB controller which resolved the IRQ conflict showing up in the SB16 Emulation resources, but... a new conflict showed up in it's place as:

Interrupt Request 05 used by: Audigy Audio Processor.

In the SB16 Emulation resources 0000 profile I'm unable to try and resolve this by changing the IRQ value, I get the message "This resource setting cannot be modified".

Switching to profile 0001, I'm able to change the IRQ value, so I set it to 7 (other settings - I/O Range: 0220 - 022F, 0330 - 0331, 0388 - 038B, DMA: 01, DMA: 07)
Rebooted & changed the Reunion setup.exe to Sound Blaster Pro, I/O: 220h, Interrupt number: 7, DMA: 1
The game gets to the hero select screen with music playing, but then hangs up/white screen after selecting a hero! 🙁

then enable usb again and see if it gets a different irq.

I've left it disabled for now, will stick with PS2 whilst trying to figure this out.

if it does not work try another pci slot.

normally pci slot 2 does not share ressources with other devices per pci definition.

I've got my Audigy installed into the last PCI slot (3). I actually can't move it to another slot as I installed an aftermarket cooler on my GPU and it takes up the AGP + 1 PCI slot, and is close enough to the 2nd PCI slot that the fan is in contact with the Audigy card.

At this point I'm thinking of uninstalling the Soundblaster drivers and starting again.

Attachments

• IMG_0179.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0179.JPG
    File size
    1.35 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Audigy PCI Slot
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 23, by Unofficial Ghost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feda wrote on 2023-03-02, 04:55:

Try going into the executable or bat file's memory tab in the properties menu. Set everything to the maximum available number (instead of auto). It helps sometimes.

Cheers, gave that a try, but still get the same error.

For whatever reason after trying different configs in resources and whatnot, I'm not getting the memory error anymore, but still stuck with probs mentioned above! 🙁

Reply 16 of 23, by zapedge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IRQ 7 is even better because very old games have it hardcoded.

the crash is most likely to the insane cpu speed you have.
Pentium 4 is unfornunately not software-slowable afaik

Reply 17 of 23, by Unofficial Ghost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I could be wrong, but not convinced about CPU speed, as I was able to run the game when I first made this thread.
It's just that I had no voice or effects sounds, only music, but the game was perfectly playable.
I've only started getting the crash since messing with various settings.

Reply 18 of 23, by Unofficial Ghost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys. reinstalled Windows again last night and had a go at using the Audigy WDM drivers as Feda suggested.

Unfortunately back to getting a memory error crash when I try to go beyond selecting a hero:

LFU9mW6l.png

However I'm pretty sure the game has effects sounds now?... because, well, a sound effect plays when I select a hero. 😁 (IIRC I didn't hear that with the VxD/SB16 Emulation setup)

For some reason the intro only plays up to the point of the purple dudes face dissapearing, but doesn't transition to/play the actual intro, with the voiced storyline, so not sure if the voice sounds are working. (it doesn't crash at this point, just skips that part of the intro & proceeds to new game screen)

What should I try to resolve the memory error?...

Not sure how helpful this is.. but here's my MEM info:

xmTrbDl.png

The games memory settings under properties are all set to Auto, although have tried (unsuccessfully) with max settings.

Here's my device manager, autoexec and config settings as well:

fcSHyuC.png
Dwc5qGc.png

Last edited by Unofficial Ghost on 2023-03-05, 14:46. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 19 of 23, by Unofficial Ghost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

.... I'm sure there must be a work around for this memory error?.. but if not I've got a Cobra AW-840 I wanted to eventually install as a 2nd card alongside the Audigy (for it's decent OPL 3 emulation & the card is small enough to fit re: the GPU cooler) I could try, and also got a SB Live! that could replace the Audigy.