VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone here got this game to work? Don't know if it's a driver issue, but I'm using the lastest drivers that support my card (GTX460 - 391.35). Using the recommended compatibility mode (Win98 + 640x480x16) that is said to work on Win10 doesn't work for me. It just crashes with the error message that it stopped working right upon launch. The game's installer is 16-bit, but is Installshield, which works fine. IIRC it was working fine on Win7 x86 on the same machine. Rest of the hardware includes 16GB RAM, SB X-Fi Fatal1ty. I even tried using dgvoodoo2, but it didn't make a difference. Anything else I should try?

Reply 1 of 12, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got it working on Win10 64bit but it's a bit of a pain. I'll check out my settings in a bit.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 2 of 12, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm running it with compatibility mode Reduced colour mode: 16-bit. I'm using dgVoodoo2 against it (2.54 but probably works on later ones). I do have d3drm.dll in the game folder too, it might use that.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 3 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

I'm running it with compatibility mode Reduced colour mode: 16-bit. I'm using dgVoodoo2 against it (2.54 but probably works on later ones). I do have d3drm.dll in the game folder too, it might use that.

I was already using all of it together but the game still refuses to run.

Reply 5 of 12, by mrpenguinb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Anything else I should try?

I had to set my display resolution in Windows 7 (64-bit btw) to 16-bit High Colour. It is a nusiance to do so manually each time you want to play the game.
I also had to install the d3drm.dll from PCGamingWiki (Direct3D Retained Mode).

Reply 6 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrpenguinb wrote:
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Anything else I should try?

I had to set my display resolution in Windows 7 (64-bit btw) to 16-bit High Colour. It is a nusiance to do so manually each time you want to play the game.
I also had to install the d3drm.dll from PCGamingWiki (Direct3D Retained Mode).

This is exactly what I'm doing right now, but the game still refuses to run.
This is all I get when I try to run it:

abc.png
Filename
abc.png
File size
37.43 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 12, by mrpenguinb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you modified any system files in SysWOW64 or System32? If you haven't, then get a new copy of the game somehow. Also run a System File Check and see if it comes up with any components missing, if it does then that is your answer.

Reply 8 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't replaced anything in those folders. The 2 copies I own give the same error. I'll run a system check to see if anything's missing, but up to now it's the only game that has been installed properly and is not working at all. I'm suspecting it's a video codec that might be causing this, since there's an intro video that relies on Indeo 4.0.

Reply 9 of 12, by mrpenguinb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Haven't replaced anything in those folders. The 2 copies I own give the same error. I'll run a system check to see if anything's missing, but up to now it's the only game that has been installed properly and is not working at all. I'm suspecting it's a video codec that might be causing this, since there's an intro video that relies on Indeo 4.0.

Ah, Indeo 4.0 may not be installed (it could be corrupt). Did the install process for the ActiveMovie setup error out and crash at all? It crashed for me, not sure if that contributed to anything.
I have installed the full K-Lite Codec pack, which is compensating for some missing codecs. I recommend you install K-Lite as well. If you don't want to install K-Lite, it will take longer to figure out what codec is missing/failing.

Reply 10 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sure I have a few codec packs installed (though I haven't installed all bundled codecs) MPC-HC recognizes Indeo 4.0 and is able to play Indycar's videos. I'll try fiddling with theirs installers again.
BTW: People with ABC Indycard working under Win7 64-bits, please post your config and drivers versions.

Reply 11 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just removed a custom fix I created in MS ACT and gave it a shot, and it ran out of the box. Guess I'll have to create another fix for it to help the frequent in-game-crashing.

Reply 12 of 12, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This fix I created removes the nuisance of switching to 16-bit colour everytime (you'll have to play it in Windowed 640x480 to avoid garbled menu) but since it's forcing 640x480x16, it will seem to be running in full screen at full time already. It also fixes the low disk space message. Still needs some further testings for random crashes.

Attachments

• Filename
    indy.rar
    File size
    603 Bytes
    Downloads
    97 downloads
    File comment
    ABC Indy fix
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception